Anyone else not sold on their new eMTB?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
For jumping (or learning to jump) Fit faster rolling tyres and inflate them harder.
Most Eebs roll/accelerate shit. whereas jump bikes and bikes set-up to jump generally run faster rolling tyres.

also if easy to do, stiffen and speed up your suspension from trail settings
overdamped suspension kills pop. especially on big heavy draggy bikes. just back it off a little (not so much as to buck you) tho

whiterabbit

Aug 17, 2020
USA
For jumping (or learning to jump) Fit faster rolling tyres and inflate them harder.
Most Eebs roll/accelerate shit. whereas jump bikes and bikes set-up to jump generally run faster rolling tyres.

also if easy to do, stiffen and speed up your suspension from trail settings
overdamped suspension kills pop. especially on big heavy draggy bikes. just back it off a little (not so much as to buck you) tho

well, I certainly run DH tires at absurdly low pressures. And suspension is soft and damped. too much, I’ve been tightening it up. 40lb spring in the fork and 400lb progressive spring in the rear now. every ride sees less damping also.

next order of business is to pump up the tires and try again, thanks for the tips! And back off damping just under the bucking point.

nasamorpheus

Jul 17, 2020
Ljubljana
Hey folks. Newb eBiker here. Been riding MTB since 1985 so sorta long timer on that front.

just got a Levo SL comp and set it up pretty nice with Lyrik, Saint brakes, enduro spec wheelset...

How much time does it take before you liked your bike? I mean like before you couldnt stop thinking about the last good rip, or the next time you’ll be shredding?

I freaking love my normal bikes. Both are Evil 29ers. I’ve had my share of bikes over the years...

Maybe its the shit for anti-squat this bike was designed with? Or maybe it’s the weight? Or maybe it’s the lack of suffering during the climbs? Something is me from truly loving and obsessing positively over this bike..

i have another bike (Orbea Rise) on its way... maybe that’ll sell me..?

anyone else kinda have these same feelings/impressions?
You have too much money u spoiled cat

HinduKush

Jun 7, 2020
Colorado, USA
You have too much money u spoiled cat
As long as he earned it legitimately who are you to say he has too much money? He brings up a point that he wants to discuss and comments like yours only discourage future discourse. Keep in mind that the money he spends on bikes goes to support those who make the bike parts, build the bikes, and the bike shops that sell him the bikes should it be he purchased the bike at his LBS. How or what he spends his hard-earned money on is his business and his business alone.

Ivabign

May 2, 2020
LA
I think maybe you read a little too much into his comment, I took it as Napoleon Dynamite saying 'Lucky!' when he saw Pedro's bike. BTW, when I get comments like that I usually just say since I've been married to the same gal for almost 40 years I have more disposable income!

As long as he earned it legitimately who are you to say he has too much money? He brings up a point that he wants to discuss and comments like yours only discourage future discourse. Keep in mind that the money he spends on bikes goes to support those who make the bike parts, build the bikes, and the bike shops that sell him the bikes should it be he purchased the bike at his LBS. How or what he spends his hard-earned money on is his business and his business alone.

Ferd

Nov 30, 2020
CA
You are both right. But I see the laughing at the end of that post and know they’re feeling light hearted.

Ferd

Nov 30, 2020
CA
Yeah, that struck me too - it's exactly why I said this up the page:
It wasnt helpful then and still isnt ?
Seriously it takes me 3 or 4 weeks of set up at minimum. And last I tried I couldnt set up a bike to my liking whilst demo riding. And I’ve changed volume spacers and whole shocks on my demo rides in the past...

Ferd

Nov 30, 2020
CA
Oh Shoot!!
Just like that! Boom!
No I dont work for them but for the trash I’ve been talking they should thank me ?

appears that this bumps our progressivity from about 12% to 21% which is basically the value I would consider adequate for an air shock. Similar to the 23% found on the 2nd generation Evil (DELTA) designs

huck yes!

Last edited:

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
It wasnt helpful then and still isnt ?
It wasn't meant to be. The forum is not only here to help you, Ferd - we're allowed to express opinions too: and in my opinion, buying a bike you don't even know that you like, is a dumb thing to do - and yes, an apparent display of conspicuous consumption.

And if you hadn't, you wouldn't have the problem you started the thread about.

I struggle to understand why anyone would throw several thousand dollar/pounds/currency of choice at something in the hope that they might come to like it eventually.

(There is actually a helpful lesson there. Up to you whether you take it to heart.)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
It's pretty easy for a decent rider with a little experience to know whether they have a preference for a more progressive rear suspension curve or not Zim. Having said that I've known a lot of riders far better than me who simply did not care and had no interest in even thinking about it.
Though. I also remember the good ol' days when we'd do a back of the fag packet calculation in the pub and just drill an extra hole for the shock bushing hardware on the original linkage plates to crudely achieve a similar outcome. ;)

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
It wasn't meant to be. The forum is not only here to help you, Ferd - we're allowed to express opinions too: and in my opinion, buying a bike you don't even know that you like, is a dumb thing to do - and yes, an apparent display of conspicuous consumption.

I struggle to understand why anyone would throw several thousand dollar/pounds/currency of choice at something in the hope that they might come to like it eventually.

(There is actually a helpful lesson there. Up to you whether you take it to heart.)

Sometimes just got to roll the dice man.

I once bought a Ducati bike, stripped it, race specked it and spent a considerable sum of cash doing so.

Then raced it at national level. Which was also a first....

I’d never owned and Ducati, rode a twin, or knew if I liked it.

But some pals and I thought it’d be a laugh ?

Turned out I couldn’t ride it to start with, then I could after a few goes and was one of the best experiences of my life. I also came to love the bike.

Mad dear tho ???‍♂️

I’d ? buy a bike to try it.

If you don’t try something you’ll never know.

Life’s too short

Ferd

Nov 30, 2020
CA
This is true .. but sometimes you don't know if you like or don't like something until you've actually spent quite a bit of time and experience with it. I've had three emtb's. I loved all of them .... at the start ...
It’s not like I hate it either. Its just missing something. Fees like a Honda Accord or something. Anyway.. that Cascade link should do the trick

Ferd

Nov 30, 2020
CA
It's pretty easy for a decent rider with a little experience to know whether they have a preference for a more progressive rear suspension curve or not Zim. Having said that I've known a lot of riders far better than me who simply did not care and had no interest in even thinking about it.
Though. I also remember the good ol' days when we'd do a back of the fag packet calculation in the pub and just drill an extra hole for the shock bushing hardware on the original linkage plates to crudely achieve a similar outcome. ;)
For me man... the Levo SL is all there was to choose from. And generally I’ve not had terrible experiences with the Big S. I just was lookijg for that “kapow !” And thought I could get there with this. Anyway all just bluster and excitement here. Bikes are too much fun. And life is too short. Why keep waiting for the perfect when theres something decent right under my nose..

Been riding MTB for 35 years.. gleefully remembering all the old hacks when bikes just had some gears and some brakes... uphills and downhills almost were ridden at almost the same speed when I started. Raced my share of NORBA downhills on hardtails...

I gotta try that Cascade linkage now dang it. This might be pretty much perfect when all is said and done.

and also...
I Hope this thread is actually helpful to someone or someones... I’m not here to just rant. I like to be helpful.
Anyone finding they want to ride their SL faster with more control and not bottom out the rear everywhere...maybe could see others are struggling with it too.. and finding solutions. Maybe

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah folk often mistake passionate helpful replies as rants.
Bikes are too much fun to have rants about.
And just like women* there are plenty others out there to try if you're really not getting on with the one you have ;)

* substitute for men/non-gender/multigender/as yet undecided gender/not even thought up category people as you see fitting.

Last edited:

Ferd

Nov 30, 2020
CA

Yeah And you missed my Kiss I think. When someone asks an open forum asking an open-ended question, a simple one sentence negative response is just that. Easy to roll past and ignore. When that responder then hijacks the thread, reupping the useless response, a response to that is deserved. Why I gave you a big smooth. I’d rather be in a forum where people help instead of flap their yaps at the wind. Doubt it’s just me.

Steve940

Jan 15, 2020
North east England
Sometimes just got to roll the dice man.

I once bought a Ducati bike, stripped it, race specked it and spent a considerable sum of cash doing so.

Then raced it at national level. Which was also a first....

I’d never owned and Ducati, rode a twin, or knew if I liked it.

But some pals and I thought it’d be a laugh ?

Turned out I couldn’t ride it to start with, then I could after a few goes and was one of the best experiences of my life. I also came to love the bike.

Mad dear tho ???‍♂️

I’d ? buy a bike to try it.

If you don’t try something you’ll never know.

Life’s too short
Funny to read this is im just about to role those same dice...a nice new 2020 panigale v4..never rode a ducati,I just really like the look and sound of them...lol

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
What can I say? I get a lot of kisses.
I may not always remember who from or even where and can't say I truely understand why but at my age I'm grateful for every one ;)

Good to have a new perspective here that's not so newbie

Ferd

Nov 30, 2020
CA
Funny to read this is im just about to role those same dice...a nice new 2020 panigale v4..never rode a ducati,I just really like the look and sound of them...lol
Oh man! Beautiful!
Personally I’m scared of most bikes with more than 100HP. But that’s also why I’m safer in them than on small bikes.
-Rubber side down brother!

Steve940

Jan 15, 2020
North east England
Oh man! Beautiful!
Personally I’m scared of most bikes with more than 100HP. But that’s also why I’m safer in them than on small bikes.
-Rubber side down brother!
I was scared at first,but it doesn't take long before we want more lol
This one was at the top of the dodd,the lake district which is north west England.. one of the best days ever...sorry to hijack your thread

20200917_192326.jpg

Steve940

Jan 15, 2020
North east England
If I could change anything about my emtb it would be the 15mph limit we've got here..but,I'm not sure how long it would be before I'd feel like I was just on another bike...anyway,luckily I'm still enjoying just pottering around on mine,its obviously way over the top for my use..

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
This is true .. but sometimes you don't know if you like or don't like something until you've actually spent quite a bit of time and experience with it.
In which case you ride it until you know, yes? Not give it five minutes of ownership then look for validation that you're not the only one...

Ferd started with:
just got a Levo SL comp and set it up pretty nice with Lyrik, Saint brakes, enduro spec wheelset...
I read that as not having the bike for very long at all, throwing a ton of money at it that probably didn't need to be spent, and deciding - before the paint was dry, so to speak - that the bike was lacking.

I have no problem with the idea of getting to know the kit - in my (quite considerable) experience of long focal length, stupid-expensive, wildlife photography lenses, they all "magically" get better the longer I use them - but I don't rush into print within a few shoots to seek confirmation that I've bought a sub-standard lens. I wait until I know what its deal is.

By the same token (as Ferd has actually now done), I would wait until I'd ridden the wheels off the thing and figured it out, before I started looking for second opinions...

Ferd, nothing personal here - I just think that you might re-evaluate your decision-making process when it comes to new bike purchases, and introduce a degree of patience and circumspection.

Bear in mind the context: you were objecting - and yes, I did see the emoticon - to people having a gentle pop at you apparently throwing a pile of money at a bike you didn't even know you liked, for not being "helpful". Well, unless you're a subscriber to the notion that misery loves company, there's no help for you here: the only opinion of the SL that should matter to you is your opinion, but you need to give yourself enough time to have reached an opinion before casting out for kindred spirits.

whiterabbit

Aug 17, 2020
USA
Really? I can hit 35 on my kenevo on loose gravel for a brief moment when it gets steep enough, but i need to push for it when my regular bike seems to practically coast there. Practically.

hitting 20 here is like the brick wall, then I have to PUSH. I wont derestrict, 20 is enough for about all I do, and maybe saves me from compensating for poor jump technique with more speed which would probably be a bit dangerous? But 15, I’d be derestricting tomorrow. 15 is going too far. Heck, most of us could sustain near 20 on a lighter mtb with clipless pedals on the flat. A 15 mph 45 lb ebike would actually be slower!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I have no problem with the idea of getting to know the kit - in my (quite considerable) experience of long focal length, stupid-expensive, wildlife photography lenses, they all "magically" get better the longer I use them
I'm more the "SL" of lenses kinda guy ... Track, follow quietly .. think you're at least 15 meters away .. then a head pops up only 4 meters away ... She was pretty though .. ;) :unsure:

boris.JPG

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles