Anyone converted to tubeless ? Tyres ?

justa1972

May 30, 2020
UK
I've just bought a Cube Acid Hybrid 500 - very pleased with it but having trouble converting to tubeless ?

Bought some sealant and Stans valves and the front is fone but just cannot get the rear to stay up - they tyres are Schwalbe Smart Sam.

Has anyone managed to do this or should I be looking at buying new tryes ?

thanks

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
Are the tyres tubeless ready?
Are the rims tubeless ready?
Did you tape the rims?
Have the tyre beads sealed correctly?

there are several threads on here covering this topic, just use the search function, I’m sure you’ll find plenty of advise / detail to get you sorted.

justa1972

May 30, 2020
UK
Thanks - the rims are TR according to Cube. They have rim rape already in place.

I thought all tyres could be converted with Stans but perhaps not :(

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
Thanks - the rims are TR according to Cube. They have rim rape already in place.

I thought all tyres could be converted with Stans but perhaps not :(
My rims were also TR and taped, but the kit I purchased came with tape (Gorilla) so I replaced them anyway. Not all tyres are TR, but if the front is ok and the rear is the same make / model? it suggests something specific with the rear setup. When I first changed mine it took a few days / rides before things settled down, so may be worth persevering before starting again. Even now I need to add air every few days to maintain pressure.

Ameiza

Oct 8, 2019
Norway
A few people mistake a rim strip for rim tape. Not the same. Most wheel suppliers do not add tape at the factory, only a rim strip to cover the spoke holes. Guess you are good?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
What are you inflating with?

I use an Airshot tubeless tyre inflater. I have tried it with a track pump. I can inflate a tyre that is already tubeless with a track pump, but not a brand new tyre. I would die of a heart attack before achieving that with a track pump.

Buy an Airshot or similar to explode the tyres onto the rim and you will believe it money well spent. :) Thank me later!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I use an air compressor.....
The air compressor has to be able to deliver a large volume of air very quickly. This will ensure that the tyre walls blow out on to the rim. If the air was delivered more slowly it would escape round the edges. When my first attempt at going tubeless failed, I drove to the nearest garage and tried their compressor. It was useless, worse than my track pump, didn't even make the tyre walls flutter!

I took the wheels into my LBS who have a compressor with a large tank. The tyres banged on! But the compressor was still running to top up the tank as I was leaving the shop.

I pump up the Airshot to 140psi and it inflates the 29x2.6" tyres at the first attempt. It takes about 40 strokes of my track pump. The first 20 are easy, the last 5 are hard going! I always remove the valve core first to allow the air from the Airshot to flow in more rapidly.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I went tubeless for the first time ever, just on the rear as a learning thing. The rear tyre had about 300km use. I cleaned the bead and inside the rim with isopropyl alcohol. I was able to pump it up with just a floor pump - I worked as fast as I could once I started. Beginner's luck.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles