Levo Gen 2 Any point to buying a new bike at full retail in Colorado?

bikechiq

Nov 1, 2020
Littleton
Thinking about buying a new bike, at full retail here in Colorado, but just noticing that the weather is turning now. New to the area and wondering if its worth it to buy a bike this late in the season and whether its even feasible to still ride enjoyable and whether bikes will be discounted soon. What do you all think?

jsharpe

May 15, 2019
USA
If you do wait, make sure to buy early in the spring before everything is gone. I bought my 2020 Levo Comp at a time I though was crazy early since we still had lots of snow where I live, but very glad I did. But if you are in one of the lower/warmer parts of the state it's possible to ride all year.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
NPR! Traditionally the fall is the best time to find deals well below retail in the bike market place. As you note winter is on its way, even though the front range is less susceptible to snow than west of you, most folks are focusing on winter activities there in CO. Also the 2021 models are being announced that will be available after the first of the year or so anything 2020 is considered to be last years model at this time....

Caveat is that Covid has upended the bike market with demand overstripping supply which in turn has kept shops able to demand full retail pricing. So if you have a bike in mind at a shop you feel comfortable with that wants full retail work them over as much as you can on the pricing but more perhaps on accessories as there is more margin for the shop on those items?

Bottom line is how much you expect to ride in the coming months given favorable enough weather and betting on the fact that there will be favorable riding weather to begin with.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Based on what friends in the industry tell me, do not expect prices to go down! Supply issues and steady demand will make prices only go up for the foreseeable future. There will be a good market for pre-owned bikes though. Personally I wouldn't take the risk on a pre-owned eMTB unless I knew the owner.

GL1

Oct 22, 2020
Golden, Colorado USA
I'd just keep an eye out all winter for a good 2020 but jump on a 2021 early next year. The 2020's (and before) will have the extended motor warranty so I'd buy one if it appears to be good condition and they should be able to show mileage on the Mission Control app. But the problem is that what people are asking almost pushes you toward a new one as they are not dropping the prices much even in the used market (Pro's Closet...good gosh they are trying to bleed these things for all they are worth right now compared to a year or so ago. Why would you ever buy one from them at those prices instead of buying new?) If you score one this winter at least you can do some snow riding (eBikes are rad in the snow!) I'd only get 2020 or maybe a 2019 but only if it had the 700w battery. I hear most shops in CO are not yet even taking orders but I'd put a down-payment and get it in as soon as possible. I got my 2020 Levo Comp in May and it was one of the last we could find anywhere in the nation. Price was great compared to this year but that's COVID demand and supply and demand.

All that being said I do see a lot of Levo SL's out there that are new or lightly used for a bit better prices. You can tell they are not as popular and they didn't sell like the full power models. I get it. They intrigue me but nah, if you go "e" go full and get all the fun!

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I'd just keep an eye out all winter for a good 2020 but jump on a 2021 early next year. The 2020's (and before) will have the extended motor warranty so I'd buy one if it appears to be good condition and they should be able to show mileage on the Mission Control app. But the problem is that what people are asking almost pushes you toward a new one as they are not dropping the prices much even in the used market (Pro's Closet...good gosh they are trying to bleed these things for all they are worth right now compared to a year or so ago. Why would you ever buy one from them at those prices instead of buying new?) If you score one this winter at least you can do some snow riding (eBikes are rad in the snow!) I'd only get 2020 or maybe a 2019 but only if it had the 700w battery. I hear most shops in CO are not yet even taking orders but I'd put a down-payment and get it in as soon as possible. I got my 2020 Levo Comp in May and it was one of the last we could find anywhere in the nation. Price was great compared to this year but that's COVID demand and supply and demand.

All that being said I do see a lot of Levo SL's out there that are new or lightly used for a bit better prices. You can tell they are not as popular and they didn't sell like the full power models. I get it. They intrigue me but nah, if you go "e" go full and get all the fun!

Why can pros closet command high prices? Because there are very few if any new bikes available. Econ 101. ;-)

GL1

Oct 22, 2020
Golden, Colorado USA
Why can pros closet command high prices? Because there are very few if any new bikes available. Econ 101. ;-)
Yep I get it and they can charge what they want but I watch and I have not seen them selling them too quickly. Lots sit for months and then eventually they may lower the price...a lot like a private seller in that regard.

I guess I just think that if I were going to buy a used one I don't see much difference between their bikes and buying one from a private party. Sometimes they get overstock etc. which can be pretty nice, new or "newish" bikes, but they also get ones that were part of rental fleets. They do a check over but again, I see them regularly being a bit higher than private parties (see what they are asking for 2018-2019 500w models) and I don't think the value is there. Plus, you have to pay tax.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Yep I get it and they can charge what they want but I watch and I have not seen them selling them too quickly. Lots sit for months and then eventually they may lower the price...a lot like a private seller in that regard.

I guess I just think that if I were going to buy a used one I don't see much difference between their bikes and buying one from a private party. Sometimes they get overstock etc. which can be pretty nice, new or "newish" bikes, but they also get ones that were part of rental fleets. They do a check over but again, I see them regularly being a bit higher than private parties (see what they are asking for 2018-2019 500w models) and I don't think the value is there. Plus, you have to pay tax.

Well, I couldn’t find a medium Levo SL. Gave up.

GL1

Oct 22, 2020
Golden, Colorado USA
To be fair...two that get my interest but top dollar plus tax ouch.

Specialized Turbo Levo Expert Mountain E-Bike - 2019, Large
Has 700!

These interest me but I'd still go 700w Spec instead of Steps 500.

JetSedgwick

E*POWAH Master
Aug 29, 2020
Lake Tahoe California
To be fair...two that get my interest but top dollar plus tax ouch.

Specialized Turbo Levo Expert Mountain E-Bike - 2019, Large
Has 700!

These interest me but I'd still go 700w Spec instead of Steps 500.
I rode both and went with the Levo. I started a thread here on it.

bikechiq

Nov 1, 2020
Littleton
Check out Subculture Cyclery in Salida, Co. They had a few demo EMTB's. One was a Levo Comp. Good LBS.

Hmm, nice. I like that they say "approachable" in their marketing. The LBS i went to was not approachable whatsoever. They wouldnt even let me sit on the bike, and they wouldnt let me ride it unless I bought it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles