Levo Gen 3 any issue with the new motor?

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
have Spesh fixed the issues with the new 2022 motor or are they still failing on a regular basis?

ruppia

Dec 14, 2020
Italy
I've got some strange rattle when motor is on, no noise when i pedal without power.
Specy change it in warranty.
Not really a fault but a strange behaviour for sure

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It's not new. It just has a new number ...

There have been on going updates all through it's life.

Unfortunately, a lot of the people who had failures before are still getting failures now. So the people who ride in whatever way (low cadence, pedal strikes, just unlucky) who were getting failures, are still getting failures.

So no. It's not magically fixed. Better - maybe/hopefully.

Eduardoramundo

Aug 8, 2019
Glasgow
Unfortunately, a lot of the people who had failures before are still getting failures now. So the people who ride in whatever way (low cadence, pedal strikes, just unlucky) who were getting failures, are still getting failures.

Or they haven’t done the firm/software updates. Or the damage was done before they updated.

Plus it has been summer in Europe/UK.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Eduardo, are you crazy ?

Or a Spesh employee?

Guy I ride with broke his motor (a 2.2) on a Saturday, Berkshire swapped it out on the Monday (another 2.2) and broke it again the following Sunday. Sprag clutch both times. Not derestricted.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Or they haven’t done the firm/software updates. Or the damage was done before they updated.

Plus it has been summer in Europe/UK.
I'm only referring to people who've bought 2022 Levo's - so "new" 2.2 spec motors, with latest firmware, who also had 21 or 20 bikes with various 2.1 motors and lots of failures.

Agreed though, people with older motors who didn't update the firmwares would have higher possibility's of failures incurred via the "micro pulses", but theoretically any motors considered "2.2" (Made after July/August ish 2021) should have come with the latest firmwares and these also have failed in pre-22 bikes.

We have to keep in mind that all motors can fail though. The updates should have reduced the failure rate on the Brose motors.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Sprag clutch both times. Not derestricted.
I think a lot of these fail as it's glued in on the Mag motors. The older Aluminium motors it was pressed in, but the mag motors aren't strong enough to accommodate that technique so they seem to come loose and self destruct. It might be heat, or someone's tight on the glue, or people bath their bikes in acetone ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I do standing pedalling all the time in Eco and Trail is this bad for the motor ?
I only sit down in Turbo
Nope.

As long as when you ride in turbo you're not plodding at low cadence. This causes the motor to run inefficiently and get hot - which is thought to cause premature failures to both the belt and sprag.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
have Spesh fixed the issues with the new 2022 motor or are they still failing on a regular basis?

High Rock Ruti

2022 Turbo Levo Pro

Around 600 miles for the first failure, "the bearing man" has me convinced that it was the sprague clutch and not the belt. Riding up hill in the appropriate gear and lost drive, the bike would not roll backwards "locked-up", I believe that if the belt had failed the rear wheel would not have locked up however if one of the pawls in the clutch was preventing counter rotation....I think, but who knows, what is for sure a new motor was provided under warranty. Too Bad, this is the best riding e-bike (turbo Levo pro) out of the 7 I've owned. Although I prefer the Bosch motor to the Brose, Bosch has more torque, and punchier at lower cadence, how spoiled am I?

Warm Regards

Ruti

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Alton Hampshire
I must be super lucky.... still on my original motor... Levo 2019 Expert purchased from Berks Cycles in Oct 2018, (3 years old this month) gets ridden at least twice a week locally (Swinley Forest) and plenty of trips to South Downs, Wales and FoD! Only had 1x power cable replaced in the first few months and yes its been derestricted from the off.
:giggle:

Niklas

Jun 10, 2019
Sweden
I broke all 4 of my gen2 Levo’s one or twice but got new motors really quick👍But since I got the new gen3 Levo Pro in may I have had no problem’s at all. And I bike 5-6 times a week and really think its the best bike out there now.

KirkRichards

Apr 20, 2020
Nottinghamshire

I had a new motor fitted to my 2020 Levo in the middle of September. This was the third motor I had had fitted. Just took it out now and it’s gone again. I think it’s done about 4 rides. So it’s now going to be 4 motors, 1 speed sensor and one snapped shock bolt in 18 months. My first question to Specialized is going to be, at what point does it become reasonable for me to ask for my money back?!
It’s a disgrace that a company like Specialized keep selling bikes they know has faults with the motors. I wouldn’t mind too much if my local Specialized dealer had new motors in stock and it was a quick turnaround but last time it took 3 weeks!

ruppia

Dec 14, 2020
Italy
I had a new motor fitted to my 2020 Levo in the middle of September. This was the third motor I had had fitted. Just took it out now and it’s gone again. I think it’s done about 4 rides. So it’s now going to be 4 motors, 1 speed sensor and one snapped shock bolt in 18 months. My first question to Specialized is going to be, at what point does it become reasonable for me to ask for my money back?!
It’s a disgrace that a company like Specialized keep selling bikes they know has faults with the motors. I wouldn’t mind too much if my local Specialized dealer had new motors in stock and it was a quick turnaround but last time it took 3 weeks!
I am waiting for mine since 1 month... really sad but still enthusiastic about the bike and the local LBS

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles