Any Downieville Calif riders? Shuttle vs E bike pedal up?

cragginshred

Jun 10, 2024
Sonora ca
My drummer is a motorcyclist who has a group of friends who go to Downeyville Ca to ride. He invited me and I am wondering if I should take the 'Amish bike' or e bike due to the shuttles they run to the top of the Mt? Anyone ride there with an e bike?

cragginshred

Jun 10, 2024
Sonora ca
I'm curious as well. Is the uphill just the road or up the same trail people ride down, or is there a more interesting loop potential?
I have come across a couple of YT videos where they pedal up 1-Yuba trail and the 2- The 2nd divide trail. I plan to shuttle the 2nd day but for a casual 10 mile loop the 1st afternoon I'm there the 2nd divide up and back looks like a good one!

pdqmach26

Jul 31, 2023
Laguna
I have seen plenty of people riding e bikes at Downieville. Most take the shuttle to the top. If you want to climb the fire road it starts off Highway 49 across from Union Flats campground. Its 10 miles 3700 feet of climbing. You would be best to call Greg at Downieville Outfitters and get the latest info. He rides an e bike up there.

cragginshred

Jun 10, 2024
Sonora ca
I have seen plenty of people riding e bikes at Downieville. Most take the shuttle to the top. If you want to climb the fire road it starts off Highway 49 across from Union Flats campground. Its 10 miles 3700 feet of climbing. You would be best to call Greg at Downieville Outfitters and get the latest info. He rides an e bike up there.
I have been e -mailing with Greg. Thanks! My Pivot Shuttle am handles even better than my Bronson on the downhill so I will take it no matter what.

Sep 18, 2020
Truckee Ca
EBike all the way. There are a lot of rides you can do up there including parts of the Downieville race course but if it’s your first time use the shuttle with your EBike. The DH has a few ups and downs and is just more fun on an EBike IMO. You’ll have plenty of company as more and more people are getting them. I live 1 hr away and have been wanting to go exploring but we usually wind up doing tbe shuttle because it’s so darn fun. Enjoy

Trailhound

Jun 30, 2024
N. California
My drummer is a motorcyclist who has a group of friends who go to Downeyville Ca to ride. He invited me and I am wondering if I should take the 'Amish bike' or e bike due to the shuttles they run to the top of the Mt? Anyone ride there with an e bike?
Funny you should ask. On my 3rd visit to Downieville I was unwilling to get up early to join my buds on a shuttle run, so with no other choice, I started riding up 2nd Divide a couple hours later, after a leisurely breakfast, and found it less taxing than several rides I do regularly at home. What a joke. And this was on an acoustic MTB. On an EMTB you could eat a pizza on the way.

cragginshred

Jun 10, 2024
Sonora ca
Funny you should ask. On my 3rd visit to Downieville I was unwilling to get up early to join my buds on a shuttle run, so with no other choice, I started riding up 2nd Divide a couple hours later, after a leisurely breakfast, and found it less taxing than several rides I do regularly at home. What a joke. And this was on an acoustic MTB. On an EMTB you could eat a pizza on the way.
I'm solo on this trip so is it easy to find the trails heads to pedal up? Also on the way down are the forks in the trails marked too? They all pretty much end up back in town right? The plan is to try and connect with riders who are shuttling.

@rydeezie same questions

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california
I'm solo on this trip so is it easy to find the trails heads to pedal up? Also on the way down are the forks in the trails marked too? They all pretty much end up back in town right? The plan is to try and connect with riders who are shuttling.

@rydeezie same questions
The shuttle service/bike shop can provide maps and guides. You should give them a call for more info

The main trails lead back to town. Most forks are marked. Easy to navigate. Bring a printed map

Trailhound

Jun 30, 2024
N. California
I would check on MTB Project or Trailforks ahead of time to see the best route to meet your pals. I never did that because they left so much earlier, but I remember crossing the bridge over Butcher Creek (bit of a landmark) I think it's called, and eventually coming down 3rd divide. Local bike shop or riders could be helpful. I was kind of just winging it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles