Another newbie

ses310

Apr 28, 2020
Kidderminster
Hi all

Worcestershire based, haven't as yet bought an e-bike but planning on doing so very shortly.
Got my eye on a Cube Stereo Hybrid Action Team. Not sure of to go for the 140 or 160?
Have been looking around and for the money there doesn't seem to be anything even close in terms or spec and bang for buck!
Let me know your thoughts, right choice?

Matt

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Welcome, the cubes are good bikes, with an EMTB I would say going with the longer travel option within reason is usually the right choice as the usual penalty of peddling ability doesn't really apply.

I have posted this before, its the process I would use to chose an EMTB, following the order bellow - I have ignored budget:

• Do you have ability to charge the bike where you keep it? If you dont you are going to want a bike where the battery is designed to be easily removable.
  • Do you regularly do rides over 30 miles or a lot of elevation gain? If so you are going to want to look at bikes with larger capacity battery, or again one with an easily removable battery so you can carry a spare.
  • Once you have used the above criteria to narrow down the choices, apply the logic you would to buying any bike, namely that the fit is right for you, the intended use is right, and that the basic spec, wheel size and geometry is what you want. Also factor in things like ability to carry a water bottle if important to you.
  • Buy from LBS or direct sale? If you are not mechanically minded, then an LBS and the back up they offer is going to be invaluable. If you go down the direct sales route, and are not confident mechanically, then having an LBS you are on good terms with is going to be useful too. If buying a Specialized IMO it is critical you get from a good local shop, as they are some minor issues that crop up with them that a good Specilized dealer can sort easily meaning you minimise time off the bike if you have an issue.
  • Finally once you have used the above to get a short list, have a look at the motors and systems, as others have said the reality is there is not much difference in the real world out on the trail, and the basic geometry and components will make more of a difference to how you get on with the bike, but obviously each system may have elects that are more appealing to you than others.
  • Now go buy the bike, set it up, and get out and ride!

ses310

Apr 28, 2020
Kidderminster
Welcome, the cubes are good bikes, with an EMTB I would say going with the longer travel option within reason is usually the right choice as the usual penalty of peddling ability doesn't really apply.

I have posted this before, its the process I would use to chose an EMTB, following the order bellow - I have ignored budget:

• Do you have ability to charge the bike where you keep it? If you dont you are going to want a bike where the battery is designed to be easily removable.
  • Do you regularly do rides over 30 miles or a lot of elevation gain? If so you are going to want to look at bikes with larger capacity battery, or again one with an easily removable battery so you can carry a spare.
  • Once you have used the above criteria to narrow down the choices, apply the logic you would to buying any bike, namely that the fit is right for you, the intended use is right, and that the basic spec, wheel size and geometry is what you want. Also factor in things like ability to carry a water bottle if important to you.
  • Buy from LBS or direct sale? If you are not mechanically minded, then an LBS and the back up they offer is going to be invaluable. If you go down the direct sales route, and are not confident mechanically, then having an LBS you are on good terms with is going to be useful too. If buying a Specialized IMO it is critical you get from a good local shop, as they are some minor issues that crop up with them that a good Specilized dealer can sort easily meaning you minimise time off the bike if you have an issue.
  • Finally once you have used the above to get a short list, have a look at the motors and systems, as others have said the reality is there is not much difference in the real world out on the trail, and the basic geometry and components will make more of a difference to how you get on with the bike, but obviously each system may have elects that are more appealing to you than others.
  • Now go buy the bike, set it up, and get out and ride!
Many thanks for the advice. I am leaning towards to the 160 :)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
No worries, in my experience the biggest mistakes people quite often make when buying an EMTB are not necessarily with regards to how the bike rides, but how they are able to live with it day to day and maintenance. I know one member got a Focus with a built in battery (non removable) and this wasn't made clear to him on buy-in the bike, and as a result had to bring the bike indoors to charge it each time.

ses310

Apr 28, 2020
Kidderminster
I am actually pretty handy with maintenance etc but I like the idea of a good local dealer for any issues. The online direct from manufacturer does not appeal as it just seems like it would be a real hassle if there were any issues/warranty claims.
Luckily there is a very good dealer reasonably local to me that a couple of friends have spoken very highly of.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles