Am I being thick? E-Bike light installation on Brose

Knuckle89

Jul 26, 2023
Dorset
Bought a cable to bridge the motor and bike light via Amazon and wondering if any of you can confirm if I’m doing something wrong as I can’t get the light to illuminate.

Bike is a Rockrider EST900 and I have a Brose T motor with a Brose all round display with headlight button.

The cable appears to only be able to fit into this top left slot, it has the opposite bobbly bits to the top right slot (anyone know what that is for? Rear light? )

The cable is plugged in, red to red, black to black attached to the Lezyne Macro Drive 1000 lights cable, twisted and taped up.

I then put the battery in the bike powered it up and pressed the headlight button. Nothing. Tried the button the light too that changes modes.

In the display settings I tried auto headlight and always on headlight, didn’t work either. Have tried removing and re seating etc nothing has worked even once. The headlight icon is coming on as it did before.

Can’t see how I could have possibly done something wrong here!?

1694543294457.png

Bones

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Two possible problems. 1st the bike might need plugging into some software to activate the light switch and secondly the output is restricted to some low power output by the EU and your light could be too powerful. Never done it myself, it's only what I have read on the forums.

Knuckle89

Jul 26, 2023
Dorset
Two possible problems. 1st the bike might need plugging into some software to activate the light switch and secondly the output is restricted to some low power output by the EU and your light could be too powerful. Never done it myself, it's only what I have read on the forums.
Thanks for the reply - I am concerned the latter is the issue, the all round display has a headlight button and pressing it turns the icon on and off.

The trouble is I can find absolutely zero guides/videos/info on the Brose motor compatibility with the light.

Knuckle89

Jul 26, 2023
Dorset
Ok so had another search and realised there is a section on Decathlon website for my bike that states the following:

Your E-ST 900 mountain bike does not come with lights. However, you can fit it with a 6V light provided that it's listed as being "compatible with the Brose T aluminium motor" or 6W at the front and 0.6W at the back.

Our engineers recommend Lezyne, whose products are great value for money.

On the Lezyne website it states:

E-bike compatible 6 – 12v input, 6w easily plugs into motors from top makers including Bosch, Shimano and Yamaha.

So it is in theory compatible with my power outputs. A friend is popping over later with a multimeter we will run some tests.....

Knuckle89

Jul 26, 2023
Dorset
Also to add - I just phoned Decathlon, he isn't aware of any activation requirements and said whilst he hasn't fitted one himself that there are two connectors, one for front and one for rear. The company I bought the cable from only seems to sell one, so I would hope its the front!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Maybe search here in the specialized threads. There's quite a few threads on lights or usb ports from light ports. Should be the same connections as yours, though the controller will be different.

dsd1036

Aug 28, 2019
Surrey
Not light related but I had to get my Brose motor light port turned on by dealer so I could use it to power a tracker, he said the light ports are not enabled by default, hope that helps

Knuckle89

Jul 26, 2023
Dorset
Not light related but I had to get my Brose motor light port turned on by dealer so I could use it to power a tracker, he said the light ports are not enabled by default, hope that helps

Thanks - I trouble shooted mine basically starting again, I think I had a loose connection between the light and the cable that plugs in. I have now got it working.

So decathlon B TWIN rockrider est900 is definitely compatible with the Lezyne macro drive 1000.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
The output of mine gave 6V limited to 1A.
So I went for a direct connection tho the 36V, with a converter that also gives a powerful USB output.

Knuckle89

Jul 26, 2023
Dorset
The output of mine gave 6V limited to 1A.
So I went for a direct connection tho the 36V, with a converter that also gives a powerful USB output.
That was my next approach but take it you lost your headlight button functionality , assuming you had it.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
the headlamp I use has a button on it, so I don't need the button of the brose HMI.
For those who really want to use it, iirc I saw it on this forum, you can connect a 6V relay that switches the 36V.

Knuckle89

Jul 26, 2023
Dorset
This is the cable

Exposure Brose eBike Connection...
Just remove your motor cover (not the chain side) and you’ll see the two connectors, one for front (top left) one for rear (top right)

They have dust covers in them.

You just wire the cable linked direct to the wires of the Lezyne light which come bare.

The thing I didn’t do well was make that connection tight enough, I had the wires end to end at first and the pulled loose.

I then fastened them in this shape which is much stronger. I didn’t have a soldering iron.

Don’t worry I did very well insulate them!!

IMG_8072.jpeg
IMG_8073.jpeg
951E5400-1290-4FF7-8633-A5825E18369B.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles