All mtn 7. Ridden 38 times... And now this..

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Unfortunate Boots. I hope you get this sorted and its not as bad as expected. I think all in all regardless of what the issue turns out to be it was not intentional by anyone. I seen someone question your passion and maybe trying to find an excuse to get out !! ? That made me laugh as just in the few weeks ive been here in the forums i can see how much you love shredding, your very last comments in your video emphasized this too. Good luck buddy and hope your back at it soon.

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
I'm not sure if it's possible to fit the rotor with both pads to one side?
Looking at the vid you've totally worn the pad material away, so the rotor was in the right place and not pushing against the pad backing plate.
You've just run the pads right down to the metal causing the noise.
One side of the caliper may have sticky pistons causing more wear to the other side.

Leave the old pads in place when you push the pistons back, it will even out the pressure on the piston face (y)

ETA: I'd also check the caliper alignment with the rotor, looking at your worn out pad the shape of the rotor isn't lined up right with the shape of the pad. You may be missing a washer/spacer from one of the caliper mounting bolts.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I seen someone question your passion and maybe trying to find an excuse to get out !! ? That made me laugh as just in the few weeks ive been here in the forums i can see how much you love shredding, your very last comments in your video emphasized this too.
I didn't actually question his passion, what I actually said was :

or that maybe you're just not really into this and you're looking for excuses not to do it ? I'm not saying that's the case - but that's how it reads.

For an example :

Screenshot 2021-04-08 08.55.11.png

Boots has a problem. @Sidepod pointed out that it's no biggie, but you see Boots reply.

For me, if you're passionate about something - you will do ANYTHING to make it work and make it happen. You accept it's imperfections and faults and you try to make those things better. In this case, you improve/upgrade/modify the bike based on your experiences and your requirements.

Boots approach is defeatist. He's had a problem and he extrapolates that problem to it's worse possible scenario even though he might never have a hub fail ever again in his life. Hub's can fail, anything can fail. Sometimes it's our own lack of experience/knowledge. Sometimes it's just unlucky.

If he was truly passionate about it, even from the helpful replies he's had here, wouldn't you be saying "OK guys, how do we fix this and make it better" ... and make a video about that. You might get click bait and all the haters and small minded bigots loving video's about x/y/z is sh1t , but longer term they're boring. It's his positive video's which make the channel worth watching. It's experiences like this which give him the OPPORTUNITY to make interesting video's about how to fumble through diagnosing issues, fix them and improve things.

Boots is obviously a likeable and charismatic character, but I don't think he does himself any favours sometimes with his knee jerk approach, which in turn doesn't do any favours to EMTB. People with no experience seeing video's like this just walk away scared. They don't head off and buy a Merida or an Orbea instead, they just don't buy an EMTB. These people could be future friends you could have shared great experiences with .. but now won't be.

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
Could somebody who doesn't mind sitting through 9minutes of shite, summarise what the issue was in less than 30 words for those of us with short attention spans?
Gotta love the internet. You’re never more than a click away from a complete bell end.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Looking at the vid you've totally worn the pad material away, so the rotor was in the right place and not pushing against the pad backing plate.

I too was confused about this. If both pads were to one side of the disc, the back of one of the pads would be worn, not the front. The only way it could happen would be if not only were both pads to one side, but one pad was also installed the wrong way round...?!

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
I too was confused about this. If both pads were to one side of the disc, the back of one of the pads would be worn, not the front. The only way it could happen would be if not only were both pads to one side, but one pad was also installed the wrong way round...?!

True, I'm pretty sure the rotor and pads were in the right place/orientation, I don't think it would be possible to fit the rotor between 2 pads and the pistons, especially with the retaining spring fitted. Happy to be proven wrong though!

Boots I know you have a new caliper now, but something you should check every now and again is whether the pistons all come out equally when you pull the brake lever. Take your wheel out and give the lever a squeeze while looking into the caliper (not too much to push the pistons fully out). Since you have one pad fully worn and the other looks nearly new I'm assuming one side has sticky pistons and weren't moving much. It could just be built up grime on the pistons which you can clean off, or the piston seals could be on their way out. I think GMBN had a decent video on how to clean and regrease them.

BOTG

Oct 28, 2020
Edo

For an example :

View attachment 57960

Boots has a problem. @Sidepod pointed out that it's no biggie, but you see Boots reply.

For me, if you're passionate about something - you will do ANYTHING to make it work and make it happen. You accept it's imperfections and faults and you try to make those things better. In this case, you improve/upgrade/modify the bike based on your experiences and your requirements.

Boots approach is defeatist. He's had a problem and he extrapolates that problem to it's worse possible scenario even though he might never have a hub fail ever again in his life. Hub's can fail, anything can fail. Sometimes it's our own lack of experience/knowledge. Sometimes it's just unlucky.

If he was truly passionate about it, even from the helpful replies he's had here, wouldn't you be saying "OK guys, how do we fix this and make it better" ... and make a video about that. You might get click bait and all the haters and small minded bigots loving video's about x/y/z is sh1t , but longer term they're boring. It's his positive video's which make the channel worth watching. It's experiences like this which give him the OPPORTUNITY to make interesting video's about how to fumble through diagnosing issues, fix them and improve things.

Boots is obviously a likeable and charismatic character, but I don't think he does himself any favours sometimes with his knee jerk approach, which in turn doesn't do any favours to EMTB. People with no experience seeing video's like this just walk away scared. They don't head off and buy a Merida or an Orbea instead, they just don't buy an EMTB. These people could be future friends you could have shared great experiences with .. but now won't be.
This almost feels personal now, I'm defeatest, I'm not passionate, I want out? Bringing up old videos about brakes, and other topics, what's your real issue here? Jump on pm if you want a chat.

Iv been a rider for 12 years had bikes from orange, trek, Claude butler, muddy Fox and Raleigh I enjoy and love riding I am the first to admit I have little mechanical knowledge on how to fix things.

In the past it has gone to a bike shop or a close friend who is a mechanic would fix things as they genuinely enjoyed it. Lazy? Sure you could say that. I decided on my channel that I would show all aspects of my mistakes no matter how much flack I got off my subscribers such as the brakes which I felt was mud grinding but rode anyway(old video) , because many new riders could and would make the same kind of mistakes. Had I know I would get comments telling me to close my channel or even abuse on social I would still show these things.

Riding through a river.. Yes I did it didn't think the stream was that deep, you think others have not done this as well? Don't be so nieve. I don't do bike maintance Indepth videos because I know I'm not qualified to make them barring the odd clutch video.

So yes I am passionate about riding and mtb, and nobody will tell me that's not how I feel. I wanted my channel to help change my shitty life that how much effort I put into it.

Bike issue.
When I put the bike on a bike stand there is NO sound or issue, it's only when peddling and adding pressure. When I ride it is difficult to determine where the sound is coming from. The motor still pulls but on occasion it feels like it is stopping me pedaling. The bike is booked in 4th of May I have a 500 mile round trip to drop it off.

From the video the bike mechanics feel it's either worn bearing on motor, or rear or rear freehub.

I have less than 1500 subs I have as much influence as a squashed cabbage your blowing things way out of context.

If you want to jump on pm for a friendly chat your more than welcome.

Andy.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The problem for me here is that it’s clear that the OP has minimal mechanical knowledge, yet presents opinions in videos as definitive, and as such I find it hard to take a sympathetic view, especially seeing the video with the bike ridden through the stream which is just asking for trouble IMO

As such with the issue at hand part of me thinks this is just something very simple like a loose cassette that’s a 5 minute fix rather than any sort of catastrophic failure.

The problem with Mountain bikes is that is one part isn’t fixed properly, it can lead to problems on other parts pretty rapidly, so staying in top of your pre/after ride checks is critical.

Most new bikes will need a once over after a couple of rides to check over all the bolts etc, effectively your first rides are shakedown rides and everything will bed in and need checking, cables start stretching etc.

BOTG

Oct 28, 2020
Edo
True, I'm pretty sure the rotor and pads were in the right place/orientation, I don't think it would be possible to fit the rotor between 2 pads and the pistons, especially with the retaining spring fitted. Happy to be proven wrong though!

Boots I know you have a new caliper now, but something you should check every now and again is whether the pistons all come out equally when you pull the brake lever. Take your wheel out and give the lever a squeeze while looking into the caliper (not too much to push the pistons fully out). Since you have one pad fully worn and the other looks nearly new I'm assuming one side has sticky pistons and weren't moving much. It could just be built up grime on the pistons which you can clean off, or the piston seals could be on their way out. I think GMBN had a decent video on how to clean and regrease them.
Thanks mate, its an old video now, and iv learned since then how to bleed and realign the pads somebody brought it up again. /m\

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
We all make mistakes but I don't think there is anything personal in what @Zimmerframe is saying so try not to take it that way.
It's just about how we learn from them and prevent any further damage where possible...

There's clearly an issue with the cassette or freehub so let's try work out what that is. I've not had the same issue but it sounds like it could be a loose cassette or maybe a failed freehub bearing? Do you have tools to have a look?

If you take the chain off and pedal is there any noise from the motor, or if you grab both pedals an try move side to side is there any play from inside the motor?

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Boots stay positive mate and keep making your vids. It’s obviously a good outlet for you and I enjoy seeing the rides and positive vibes ??

Just accept that no matter how expensive your eeb is, it will break and need maintenance.

And when it does, don’t be too quick to jump on the ‘my bikes unreliable’ bandwagon that is seen on the forum!

spin the vids from complaining to how to fix it (even if it’s by someone else) so we can all learn from your expensive mistakes ???

BOTG

Oct 28, 2020
Edo
Boots stay positive mate and keep making your vids. It’s obviously a good outlet for you and I enjoy seeing the rides and positive vibes ??

Just accept that no matter how expensive your eeb is, it will brand need maintenance.

And when it does, don’t be too quick to jump on the ‘my bikes unreliable’ bandwagon that is seen on the forum!

spin the vids from complaining to how to fix it (even if it’s by someone else) so we can all learn from your expensive mistakes ???
I was going too, spoke to bike shop where I bought it darn sarf and said fine for me vlog the day, bike will be checked for the cracking paint around joints others are facing, basic service and motor check. So it needs to go in anyway I do feel it's rear hub related. Taking that video down today.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
This almost feels personal now, I'm defeatest, I'm not passionate, I want out? Bringing up old videos about brakes, and other topics, what's your real issue here? Jump on pm if you want a chat.
Now it just sounds like you're being irrational and emotional - which is what we're talking about being the issue ? . If you read both my posts in the way they're intended - which I think read pretty clearly .. they don't say that .

I was going to quote them both - but it seems pretty pointless as the second one is only re-quoting the first one to explain what it clearly says anyway.

I've not posted anything about brakes or other video's, so that just sounds like you're lumping other posts in as being me - which again sounds like the same problem. It's fine to complain about things and explain things if they're accurate, but if you're complaining about things which aren't correct you're just giving people the wrong idea about things.

I didn't say you weren't passionate, I said it read like it - I gave an example ! I didn't say you were defeatist, I said your approach was defeatist - which if you read what you've put and think about your approach to the situation - it is ! As I went on to explain why !

If you're only going to read single words and join them together into your own sentence and then blame me for posting your other video's, when I didn't (don't you want people to watch yor videos ??) , then all you're doing is making your own spin on things and if that's your approach then all you'll do is erode peoples respect for you. This isn't a personal thing. You posted an inaccurate video in public, you opened yourself to analysis. You can't cry about the bike breaking and you can't cry about people's reactions, it's not easy, but you have to take things for what they are. You're not "Andy" in the video - you're a youtube influencer called "boots on the ground".

As I said in my post, I think you're a likeable and charismatic guy, I don't have anything against you at all - I just think some of your video's don't represent the facts and I was hoping you'd take what I'd said in the spirit it was intended - which was to think about your content which would lead to improving your channel. It was meant positively.

At no point did I say it was fact or if the issue was Confirmed.

You made a whole video about the motor being broken and how it was going to take so long to fix it and how haibike and yamaha were at fault and how you'd most likely have to get a refund, give it all up and you still had payments to make (which if you got a refund, you wouldn't).

Last edited:

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
I was going too, spoke to bike shop where I bought it darn sarf and said fine for me vlog the day, bike will be checked for the cracking paint around joints others are facing, basic service and motor check. So it needs to go in anyway I do feel it's rear hub related. Taking that video down today.

Don’t trust southerners mate. They love ripping off northerners. Specially when it’s bike related.

like taking candy from a baby ???

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
It is a bit embarrassing to hear Boots talk about pistons rubbing against the "rim". Maybe we should get him a Magura HS for next Christmas. ;)

Anyhow, I appreciate his humility and owning up to the mistake.

To be fair, I used a screwdriver first time to push the pistons back ?. I think I got away with it that time.

Upon delivery of the bike I pointed the forks back to front and wondered why I couldn’t ride the bike, thinking I had got the wrong frame size.

Took me over 12 hours to get a tyre seated first time and putting the rear wheel back on first time was like trying to do the Rubiks Cube without instructions.

Every day is a learning day ?

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia

For an example :

View attachment 57960

Dude ,,, he comes from Yorkshire .
They do things a lil different to the provences . LOL .

This geezer the Yorkshire Bike Mechanic is a good teacher .

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Boots I know you have a new caliper now, but something you should check every now and again is whether the pistons all come out equally when you pull the brake lever.
No kidding, the struggle is real. It looks like I have a slightly slow piston or two in my brand new front brake that I just installed over the weekend - well before it was ever exposed to any dirt. From now on I'm going to make it part of my normal routine to inspect piston movement with the pads out on whenever I do installation, maintenance, or troubleshooting. I don't know how conditions in the UK affect this, but our dust in SoCal is so fine that it can stick to anything with the faintest whiff of static charge.

Anyhow Boots, @Zimmerframe was taking some time out to try to offer some constructive criticism. Given that reading someone's tone on a forum post can be tricky it's a good rule of thumb to give the benefit of any doubt.

In the future, a lot of us have a fair bit of wrenching experience and I'm sure at least some would be happy to act as a resource to whatever extent we can, myself included. Feel free to post or PM whenever you're struggling with something.

JC1982

Feb 6, 2021
South Wales
Convinced its the rear hub and not the motor. Told if it is the motor will be the first return they have had. Try and avoid pedal strikes was one piece of advice iv had. If its the rear hub it's covered. If its rear free wheel hub it's not and I'll have to pay. If its motor will take less than 1 hours before back riding again.

My question is... Should the hub break after riding 38 times.? With some rides being on the canal? Going to cost a fortune if things break after 5 months...

My motor Allmtn 7 blew the torque sensor, in fairness to them once the bike shop did thier bit Haibike/Raleigh has a new motor back to the LBS in 5 days.

JC1982

Feb 6, 2021
South Wales
How does blewn torque sensor look like? Why do you think it happened?

I am not sure, I was doing a stoney tech climb and it said error 64 on the display and the motor stopped working. At that point I stopped turned the bike off anf back on and it was fine again. Then got to the top of the climb, error 64 came up again, but this time it wouldn't shift and the motor wouldn't engage.

When it went in, this is what the shop told me was wrong.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles