• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Air pressure for e bikes on slabs rolls and chunk?

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Do you ride terrain like this? Start is more slab, last half is rolls and chunk!

Nice riding... not a lot of skidding so it sounded like you were mostly in control! For me, it depends on what tires you are using and whether you are using inserts rather than air pressure for any particular trail. For "trails" like you posted where rolling speed is not an concern, I run my tires at F18/R20 but I run Cushcore which makes up for a few PSI and adds stiffness to the sidewalls (EXO+ Maxx Grip on the front and EXO+ Maxx Terra on the back). My setup is for grip and comfort as I am old and injured so I don't want to get shaken up with every little lump on the trail. Tire pressure can make a big difference to ride quality for me. What are you running?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I would normally go for a few psi up vs the pressure you would ride when not on steep slab rolls and chunk. See how it feels and then adjust up or down.

Advice a bit generic I know, but I know nothing about your riding weight, speed, riding stye, jumps etc, nor anything at all about your current tyres, whether you are tubeless, tubed, use inserts etc.

cragginshred

Jun 10, 2024
Sonora ca
I would normally go for a few psi up vs the pressure you would ride when not on steep slab rolls and chunk. See how it feels and then adjust up or down.

Advice a bit generic I know, but I know nothing about your riding weight, speed, riding stye, jumps etc, nor anything at all about your current tyres, whether you are tubeless, tubed, use inserts etc.
I will go up a few pounds for sure, however None of our trails are all dirt. We have so much granite up here it's crazy

cragginshred

Jun 10, 2024
Sonora ca
Nice riding... not a lot of skidding so it sounded like you were mostly in control! For me, it depends on what tires you are using and whether you are using inserts rather than air pressure for any particular trail. For "trails" like you posted where rolling speed is not an concern, I run my tires at F18/R20 but I run Cushcore which makes up for a few PSI and adds stiffness to the sidewalls (EXO+ Maxx Grip on the front and EXO+ Maxx Terra on the back). My setup is for grip and comfort as I am old and injured so I don't want to get shaken up with every little lump on the trail. Tire pressure can make a big difference to ride quality for me. What are you running?
My amish bike has cush core but because I want to be able to change my tires without dislocating a finger I am not on the E bike.
I was running XO tires which led to both sidewall and rim damage. Now I have a DD tire on it with a tube due to the rim damage
New rim en route. BTW what does F18/R20 translate into pounds?

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
My amish bike has cush core but because I want to be able to change my tires without dislocating a finger I am not on the E bike.
I was running XO tires which led to both sidewall and rim damage. Now I have a DD tire on it with a tube due to the rim damage
New rim en route. BTW what does F18/R20 translate into pounds?
I only use Maxxis tires so I have never heard of XO tires. F18/R20 refers to front 18 PSI and Rear 20 PSI (I weight around 180 lbs).
Around Vancouver and Squamish, we also have grippy granite but I don't know why you would want to go up in tire pressure on slabs as they can be so gnarly and chunky, which for me, shakes the crap out of my arthritic wrists. As for Cushcore, do you find it difficult to install or remove a tire? I don't have any troubles putting a tire on but breaking the bead can be a bitch as the sealant acts like a glue on the already tight rims.

cragginshred

Jun 10, 2024
Sonora ca
I only use Maxxis tires so I have never heard of XO tires. F18/R20 refers to front 18 PSI and Rear 20 PSI (I weight around 180 lbs).
Around Vancouver and Squamish, we also have grippy granite but I don't know why you would want to go up in tire pressure on slabs as they can be so gnarly and chunky, which for me, shakes the crap out of my arthritic wrists. As for Cushcore, do you find it difficult to install or remove a tire? I don't have any troubles putting a tire on but breaking the bead can be a bitch as the sealant acts like a glue on the already tight rims.
Good to know! I've rock climbed Squamish but never rode there. The extra air pressure was in relation to using a tube until I get my new wheel

darwink1

Dec 19, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Most of our trails are super chunky with lots of square edged hits and bedrock. I run 23-24 up front and 26/27 out back. Im using dh casing/max grip maxxis tires with cushcore front and rear.

I think pressure has a lot to do with rider weight so a heavier person would run slightly higher pressures. I'm 265 geared up on an sc bullit and if I drop pressures much more my tires start folding in high speed corners.

D

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles