After Washing Drainage ....

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Had a particularly wet ride today ... Where it wasn't thick mud and ruts.. it was just flooded, so me and the bike were pretty wet and disgusting (ok, I'm always disgusting..)

wet.jpg

Gave the bike the usual wash down, blow dry and microfibre .. lube .. bla bla bla ..

Then for whatever reason I stuck the back brake on and lifted the front wheel to the vertical .. quite a bit of water dribbled out of various places .. So I did the same with the front brake .. and again, quiet a bit of water from round the battery and other places.

So when you think it's dry, maybe take it to the verticals and let any trapped water drain out.

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
Had a particularly wet ride today ... Where it wasn't thick mud and ruts.. it was just flooded, so me and the bike were pretty wet and disgusting (ok, I'm always disgusting..)

View attachment 22644

Gave the bike the usual wash down, blow dry and microfibre .. lube .. bla bla bla ..

Then for whatever reason I stuck the back brake on and lifted the front wheel to the vertical .. quite a bit of water dribbled out of various places .. So I did the same with the front brake .. and again, quiet a bit of water from round the battery and other places.

So when you think it's dry, maybe take it to the verticals and let any trapped water drain out.
I've noticed that on regular bikes over the years so it's been part of my drying process. I like to hold the front vertical for a few beats to flow the lower fork oil towards the top seals. Haven't tried a nose stand. Sounds a bit tricky but will give it a go next time.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Haven't tried a nose stand. Sounds a bit tricky but will give it a go next time.

It's a Euro bike, so the front brake is on the left. Was easier than I thought it would be, standing on the left, left hand on brake, right hand on saddle. So I guess on every other bike in the world which has its front brake on the correct/right side, it would probably be easiest standing on the right hand side of the bike or you'd be crossing your arms over ! :)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
It's a Euro bike, so the front brake is on the left. Was easier than I thought it would be, standing on the left, left hand on brake, right hand on saddle. So I guess on every other bike in the world which has its front brake on the correct/right side, it would probably be easiest standing on the right hand side of the bike or you'd be crossing your arms over ! :)
You shouldn't need to hold the saddle. Just walk the bike into an endo both hands on the bars and as the rear rises allow it to fall into your side to stabilise it.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand

Yes!

As far as I can remember, I've always bounced my bikes level on both wheels to flick most of the water off after a hosing, before I leave it out to dry. Sometimes I'll wipe it dry, that's if I can be bothered.

My Giant Trance E+ has this weird pocket just below the bottom end of the rear shock. The Reign E+ has the same thing and possibly the Stance E+ too. Pebbles, dirt, pine needles occasionally get trapped in there... and of course always a mini pool of water after washing the bike. You'd think someone from the engineering department could've thought to add a simple drain hole somewhere, but no. I always had to lift the bike to vertical to get the water out.

That's until you mentioned using a leaf-blower in one of your posts - and found that to be just perfect for blowing out the water from that pocket trap (a gentle jet of water ejects what ever crud was in there beforehand). Great!

But then after my last wash and after all that, I decided to take the battery off just to make sure water didn't seep in between the battery/motor junction terminals. It looked clear, but I decided to dry it with my leaf blower for good measure. Not coming from the terminals, but I was surprised how much water blew out of the surrounding nooks and crannies at the bottom end of the battery cavity. Same thing happened at the top end (water presumably coming from small spaces surrounding the lock/latch mechanisms).

I would've thought that after tipping up and bouncing the bike around beforehand that no water should've been left inside the battery cavity. The gentle air pressure from a Leaf-blower is just perfect - not too strong to blow water further into places where it shouldn't go. I have an air compressor blow-gun but I'm choosing not to use that on the bike (other than drying chains after remote cleaning).

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
My Giant Trance E+ has this weird pocket just below the bottom end of the rear shock. The Reign E+ has the same thing and possibly the Stance E+ too.
Giant's non E mtbs (Strance, trance, reign etc.) also have that stupid awkward to clean mud/water collecting pocket under the lower shock mount. You'd think mtb frame designers'd have gotten the hang of this sort of thing by now, eh?

Ps.is that your Grandson in the endohop video?

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Not the RAD video. I've watched before many times,
I meant The kid on the yellow mtb doing an endo in the first video you posted,

Haha, Im not that old! :cool:
I am
I don't have any Grandkids but my eldest is nearly 30

What's the story with the Grandpa in your user name?

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Not the RAD video. I've watched before many times,
I meant The kid on the yellow mtb doing an endo in the first video you posted,
Nah too young to be my son, just some random kid in a video from YouTube. I picked it because its the shortest endo vid.

I am
I don't have any Grandkids but my eldest is nearly 30
What's the story with the Grandpa in your user name?
Haha, maybe I am too! Both my kids have left home yonks ago, I've got two grandkids from my eldest. Youngest will be 29 next year. I included the Grandpa thingy in my google account name because I had toyed with the idea of making a series of videos revolving around what 'retired senior' mountain biking would be like - and hopefully tack-in my grandkids getting into BMX when the time comes. But I've decided to flag that because of this FTC and COPPA kerfuffle happening with YouTube. I just kept the same name because I didn't have the energy to come up with a new one when I joined here. :giggle:

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
So the first "endo" video .. well, he's not very committed is he ? I like to consider myself to be a bit of a master of the END'Oh' , he's only getting to the vertical and then bottling out, what's the point in that ?

The second video looks like a lot of people taking the piss out of my downhill riding style, feet on frame, wheel, backwards, forwards, any pedal will do ..

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Birthday 20th and Xmas pressie under the tree , very heavy so it's either an Anvil or the Stanley compressor I put in my letter to Santa. Unfortunately I'm away offshore on the 20th so will have to wait till I get back k boo hoo
20191214_085713.jpg

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I always do the vertical lift after I wash it, I once washed it, wheeled it inside on the rear wheel hours after it dried and water pissed out of it, no carnage though, so it's a ritual now, wash, dry, then point the front wheel to the sky.
I have to do back wheel ballet to get it past van in drive ,after reading non drive side collects water I lie it down on that side for 7 minutes then I hang it on the washing line .

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
7 minutes?
Yep asked an engineer and he worked it out for me. Also asked for the square root of a pickled onion which he could have worked out but being an engineer he could not get the lid off the jar . Remember it's Saturday night so don't take anything too seriously.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
S
Sunday morning here, Sunday mornings are very serious, bikes loaded up on the car, now where to take it ?
Well I have Xmas meal at 4 with moray mountaineering club at Grantown on Spey but manage Ben Rinnes , Paul's hill and Roys hill enroute if the bike is dry and starts in the morning. Enjoy your day anyway.

Alan W

Apr 20, 2019
Dorset England

View attachment 22644

I have been doing this on all my bikes after washing, plus I bounce the bike up and down on rear tyre. Some bikes just have water traps in the normal standing position

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I have been doing this on all my bikes after washing, plus I bounce the bike up and down on rear tyre. Some bikes just have water traps in the normal standing position
Did it with ordinary bike as well always have , spin round block after washing and use brakes etc.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles