• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Advice on photochromic glasses please

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
After my cataract surgery earlier this year I finally got the soft contact lenses I’ve wanted for years, now I’m after some photochromic glasses, after looking on the old interweb thingy it’s raised more questions than answers to the extent that it’s fried my head a little, I’d like some that change from dark to light and back again quickly but I don’t want to spend a fortune, can anyone recommend a decent pair that aren’t mega expensive, I’m not bothered about fancy brand names as long as they do what they’re supposed to do, thanks in advance guys 🙏🙏👍👍

Solution
I am using KAPVOE glasses, they are great and cheap.

Specsavers - big no no no, I have very bad experience with them , starting from incorrect eye test (for prescription glasses) to poor quality lenses.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Oakley. They're dark enough to ride in full sunlight, and they're light enough that you can continue to use them after the sun goes down.
Thanks for your reply mate, I looked at the Oakley website and that’s where I found more questions than answers, there’s so many different kinds of photochromic glasses I felt overwhelmed, plus the prices are, well, a bit too expensive for me.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
I've been around in circles in a similar position re contacts, specs and sport. I've ended up saying sod it and went for the simple option in the end - I gave up the faff of contacts (unless swimming) and went back to prescription specs. On rides I just use prescription sunglasses and if I'm out late enough for it to get dark (very rare) I take my regular specs with me in a hard case. Sometimes I even just ride with my regular specs which are photochromic anyway and go virtually as dark as my sunglasses.

Can get 2 pairs in Specsavers (not shitty NHS-lookalike specials either) for cheaper than 1 pair of fancy named non-prescription sunglasses.

I appreciate this isn't an option if you want to keep using contacts and I get that, I wore them for about 10 years, but I don't miss the faff of contacts, even dailys.

I also get that if you want something that goes dark/light super quickly you may need to go the dedicated sunglasses route as most of the regular shop stuff does take a little time. This is where Oakley et all may fare better.

BikeBert

Dec 10, 2022
Croatia
When it comes to prescription photochromic sunglasses, I highly recommend the Oakley Brown Transitions Gen 8 lenses. The brown tint enhances contrast, making them ideal for activities like mountain biking in the woods where visibility and clarity are crucial. I use these lenses in my Oakley Flak 2.0 XL, and despite owning eight different pairs of prescription Oakley sunglasses, the Transitions have become my go-to due to their practicality and versatility.

They adapt well to varying light conditions, which means you can wear them during both daytime and night rides. However, it's important to note that the Transitions Gen 8 lenses won't darken inside a car, as windshields block UV light, which is necessary for the lenses to change tint.

In terms of cost, while these lenses are not cheap, investing in quality vision and eye protection is essential. Oakley's technology and the value they provide for the price are unmatched, making them a worthwhile investment for anyone serious about their eyewear.

For a comprehensive understanding of how Transitions lenses work, their limitations, and how to clean them correctly, I recommend checking out a couple of detailed YouTube videos:

Last edited:

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I've been around in circles in a similar position re contacts, specs and sport. I've ended up saying sod it and went for the simple option in the end - I gave up the faff of contacts (unless swimming) and went back to prescription specs. On rides I just use prescription sunglasses and if I'm out late enough for it to get dark (very rare) I take my regular specs with me in a hard case. Sometimes I even just ride with my regular specs which are photochromic anyway and go virtually as dark as my sunglasses.

Can get 2 pairs in Specsavers (not shitty NHS-lookalike specials either) for cheaper than 1 pair of fancy named non-prescription sunglasses.

I appreciate this isn't an option if you want to keep using contacts and I get that, I wore them for about 10 years, but I don't miss the faff of contacts, even dailys.

I also get that if you want something that goes dark/light super quickly you may need to go the dedicated sunglasses route as most of the regular shop stuff does take a little time. This is where Oakley et all may fare better.
I never knew Specsavers did photochromic lenses, I get my glasses from them too, mind you the guy who served me first time was a 🤡 and didn’t seem to know what he was doing so it was a bit of a rush, anyway that aside with, I do have prescription sunglasses and they are good but now I’ve got some soft monthly’s I really like the freedom of not having to wear glasses all the time except for when I choose to and even though my prescription is a fraction of what it used to be my glasses are still nearly £200 a pair and I don’t fancy paying that out again, I have also discovered the Uvex photochromic glasses range which looks great and are a lot less than Oakley 😉👍

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
When it comes to prescription photochromic sunglasses, I highly recommend the Oakley Brown Transitions Gen 8 lenses. The brown tint enhances contrast, making them ideal for activities like mountain biking in the woods where visibility and clarity are crucial. I use these lenses in my Oakley Flak 2.0 XL, and despite owning eight different pairs of prescription Oakley sunglasses, the Transitions have become my go-to due to their practicality and versatility.

They adapt well to varying light conditions, which means you can wear them during both daytime and night rides. However, it's important to note that the Transitions Gen 8 lenses won't darken inside a car, as windshields block UV light, which is necessary for the lenses to change tint.

In terms of cost, while these lenses are not cheap, investing in quality vision and eye protection is essential. Oakley's technology and the value they provide for the price are unmatched, making them a worthwhile investment for anyone serious about their eyewear.

For a comprehensive understanding of how Transitions lenses work, their limitations, and how to clean them correctly, I recommend checking out a couple of detailed YouTube videos:

Many thanks for your reply, I have prescription sunglasses but not photochromic unfortunately, the only problem is in the past my prescription has changed quite quickly and I’ve had to have more glasses made, now I have soft monthly’s if my prescription changes I can have my contact lenses tweeked to suit my vision, I thank you for taking the time to type all that out for me though, I thank you all for your advice, and can I say that I only discovered the Uvex glasses in the last hour or so 👍🙏

• Agree
Reactions: Dax

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
The other glasses to check out are the julbo fury photochromic. I’ve got the regular sunglasses and they’re great, nice coverage for riding in

Giox

Aug 4, 2020
Switzerland/Italy
Cheapo Chinese photocromic knockoffs on Amazon are incredibly good, KAPVOE or Rockbros, 20 to 40 USD, my wife is extremely pick as apparently most cycling glasses distort her vision, including expensive brand stuff, and she is extremely happy with the KAPVOE.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
After my cataract surgery earlier this year I finally got the soft contact lenses I’ve wanted for years, now I’m after some photochromic glasses, after looking on the old interweb thingy it’s raised more questions than answers to the extent that it’s fried my head a little, I’d like some that change from dark to light and back again quickly but I don’t want to spend a fortune, can anyone recommend a decent pair that aren’t mega expensive, I’m not bothered about fancy brand names as long as they do what they’re supposed to do, thanks in advance guys 🙏🙏👍👍

Cheapo Chinese photocromic knockoffs on Amazon are incredibly good, KAPVOE or Rockbros, 20 to 40 USD, my wife is extremely pick as apparently most cycling glasses distort her vision, including expensive brand stuff, and she is extremely happy

www.sungod.co.uk

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Besides a helmet and gloves, eye protection is the most important to me during any ride on our trails. Only once I took a low limb across one eye. Two weeks to heal…and kinda painful.

I currently use clear lenses which fade to darkish when exposed to sunlight. Problem is that our trees act as a strobe while riding. Most of the time that’s ok. The lenses don’t seem to react fast enough which means a clear view most of the time.

I carry my prescription glasses (progressive) in my back or hip pack, and that can be a hassle when you need them. The chromatic, prescription progressive riding glasses were stupid expensive in an Oakley frame ($400-$800 CDN). I think the price has come down a bit and my eye benefits sort help. But it could be time for me to upgrade …the other lenses are getting a little scratchy covered.

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
Rudy Project, they have glasses that take Rx inserts and readily-swapable lenses, including photochromic. I have two pairs that take the same insert, second pair just because I had the insurance benefits to burn.

jackamo

May 25, 2023
UK
Rockbros do half decent glasses at prices that definitely won't brake the bank , they aren't the quickest to change but unless you're riding in dense woods into open stretch fast you shouldn't have any issues.

borysgo2

Feb 1, 2023
Ireland
I am using KAPVOE glasses, they are great and cheap.

Specsavers - big no no no, I have very bad experience with them , starting from incorrect eye test (for prescription glasses) to poor quality lenses.

Solution

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles