• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Advice Needed for First Ebike

1Ton

Sep 13, 2024
UK
I ride for the descent and not really a fan of the climbs so I'm hoping to get more smiles for the miles with an ebike.

I'm 5"10 around 103kg, so have a very strong preference for a mullet and a bike battery. I ride a mullet non-ebike, tried a 29'er but converted it to a mullet as my legs are touch too short to get away with a full 29’er, without the ill-timed tyre buzz when things get really fun.

Trying to get the best spec for the money so I’m leaning towards getting something 2nd hand as I don't want to spend more than £3,000 and I’m fine with being patient for the right bike.

The main ebikes considered so far are:
  • Specialized Turbo Levo Comp
  • Specialized Turbo Levo Expert
  • Specialized Kenevo Expert
  • Privateer E161
I did consider paying a bit extra to get the Privateer E161 currently £3,999. However, it didn't tick enough boxes for me to pay the extra, namely, the small battery (630 rather than 700+), no dealer support, concern regarding an out of warranty Shimano motor with no repair option. With these concerns I'm not overly keen to pay the extra.

Pros and Cons

Specialized Turbo Levo Comp
Pros: Brose motor can be repaired, potential warranty that can be transferred for LBS support (if it comes with warranty), alloy frame option, relatively light ebike
Cons: 36 stanchions, brakes, for the price unlikely to still have warranty

Specialized Turbo Levo Expert
Pros: Same as Comp plus, 38 stanchions, carbon, even lighter
Cons: Carbon paranoia (snapped carbon crank previously), for the price unlikely to still have warranty

Specialized Kenevo Expert
Pros: Same as Levo Comp, appears to be more value for the money
Cons: 27.5 front and rear, mullet conversion seems to provide a funky ride (or so I've read), prefer a little less travel.

Privateer E161
Pros: price and components considering it's a new bike, warranty, robust
Cons: Potential cost of the motor unit post warranty, small battery, a little fugly (but I just about live with that ), heavy.

Some questions
Should I be concerned with a Brose motor that has covered over 1000 miles? I can appreciate that it partly depends on the type of usage, however in general, how many miles should be expected from the 2.2 brose motor? Would there be an expectation that a unit that’s done over 1000 miles will require a refurb or a replacement sooner rather than later?

Are there any other options that should be serious considerations, trying to keep costs as low as possible but if there’s a unicorn that ticks all the boxes (robust fork, shock with piggy back, at least mid to higher tier components, 700+ battery capacity, warranty etc), I could consider stretching the budget. I’m not totally against the Shimano EP801 motor, but I understand that if there’s an issue with a second hand one it'd have to be replaced rather than repaired.

Sorry for the essay, seeking feedback or a reality check regarding my initial thought, I'm also open to recommendations.

Last edited:

Mudrider

Jan 11, 2024
oxford
Hi, I can only give you some information regarding the shimano ep801 motor, obviously shimano warranties motors within the first 2 years, like i think all the motor brands do providing you have the original receipt, outside of this two year period, if its not long outside this period then there is a chance that it might still get warrantied, otherwise you have two options, one being you buy a replacement motor from a shimano service centre (many bike shops), not sure on the price of this or you send it to an independent motor centre such as e-bike motor repairs where there is a good chance that it can be repaired.

I've been riding my bike with the ep801 since February having covered 1500miles so far the motor has been fault less and i think its a fantastic motor.

The shimano battery size is a little disappointing but not terrible and i really hope that shimano come out with a increased capacity battery in the same form that fits with the current system,.

I'm running the electronic shift on mine and think its absolutely fantastic, free shifting is brilliant.

As for the specialized the motor on them is fantastic, really quiet (not that the shimano is terrible loud but it is louder), the 700wh battery paired with that motor does have more range than the shimano however you would expect that as the battery is that little bit bigger, . I think in general on more recent levo's specialized resolved the belt issue and improved the sealing on that motor so it fairly reliable now and the e-bike motor centre 100% can service and repair those motors. If i was buying a second hand bike that had done 1000 unknown miles and was outside of the two year warrantee period i would be send the motor off to this company to be serviced. Also the battery does not rattle in the levo like it does in my shimano powered bike where i have put some polystyrene behind it to hold it tighter in the latching mechanism. Not sure if this is the same with all shimano powered bike or whether my battery catch is just adjusted wrong. My bike is not the privateer 161.

As for the kenevo i know thats regards as a great bike park bike.

Obviously there are bosch powered bike like the canyon strive on which is a great bike it whether you would pick one of them up within your budget.

Hope this helps

1Ton

Sep 13, 2024
UK
Thanks really appreciate the feedback.

The EP01 does seem to be a viable option when you put it like that. I guess I'm not convinced on the E161. The post warranty options of the Brose motor is a significant draw, a service may have to factored into any purchase. The Levo seems to be the main ebike in my area, but it may just be due to local dealer support.

I may be patient and see how much new bikes are discounted, but I don't have much faith, I'll be able to get anything better than the E161 for around the 4K mark. I'm kind of limited as a full 29'er is a deal breaker.

Zed.

Apr 26, 2023
Deepest Bandit country (Wales)
The Levo seems to be the main ebike in my area, but it may just be due to local dealer support.

I mostly ride Bpw and levo's are evrywhere!

.but theres a few local spech dealers around so I understand the support is exelent:cool:

I've just bought a Canyon Torque:ON as replacement for my Trek Rail5 (great bike but unfortunately I bought a framesize too small) when they had a sale, they also had the Strive:ON Underdog (mullet / Bosch motor) sub £4K so there are great deals around(y)

Rich.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles