Advice for purchasing

GuyB

May 6, 2020
Christchurch, New Zealand
Hi there,

Have been eyeing up an emtb for some time but have yet to test ride anything due to recent world events.

I was wondering if there was any advice on the expected lifespan of key components (battery, motor) as given the price tag of around NZD$9k I’m looking at spending it is a big factor to consider. With a traditional bike so long as you looked after it well and kept it serviced it could last for years. I expect the same for an e bike but with likely higher service costs....?? I don’t know yet as not done the research on this detail yet.

I was unsure on what the life of these bigger components would be and would appreciate any advice as I expect many others have been down this path already.

The last thing you would want is to shell out a large sum of money for a bike and then have to spend what I expect would be several thousand for a new motor and/or battery in a couple of years (and every couple of years after that if that’s what the typical life would be). Interested if there was a total cost of ownership that someone maybe had done previously?

I’ve been looking at Specialized bikes and couldn’t find anything that detailed out specifics on lifespan of products however I noted some general warranties that seemed to support the product well.

Thanks in advance and appreciate the collective advice.

Regards, Guy
Christchurch NZ

Master_G

Oct 13, 2019
Gloucester
Its hard to give a breakdown of cost - you obviously have standard bike maintenance but the motor and battery are covered under warranty and here in the UK i have also had a motor changed out of warranty for £100 (Specialized)

The reason i went with Specialized at the start was i was worried like you are and they seemed to have the highest number of helpful dealers and the best turn around times when it comes to spares.

Regards to maintenance of the motor and battery there is very little that can be done to prolong their life apart from the basics you do when washing a non ebike.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
There’s plenty of information on the forum around this so definitely worth a search of previous topics. Areas to watch are the obvious motor/battery longevity and things like greater drivetrain wear. The rest is pretty much usual MTB stuff.

That said I think there is something ‘bleeding edge’ about how long an EMTB will last. It will be obvious when you start reading the topics on here that this is an area that needs to be improved greatly given the costs (financial and environmental) involved. Mind you, I don’t buy the argument that EMTBs are overpriced compared to regular MTB either. I think the whole of the MTB market could do better on value for money!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Generally speaking you get more drivetrain wear, so items like cassettes, chains and chainrings tend not to last as long. Due to the added weight of the bikes other components will take more of a pounding too.

Contrary to normal MTB's the top spec stuff isn't necasrilly the best on an emtb, especially when it comes to drievetrian. You dont really need and an singing and dancing 12 speed on an EMTB, and a high spec 11 speed will likely be more durable.

I would prioritise quality of suspension components etc over drivetrain when looking at buying a bike

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
If a motor fails outside warranty, it is not necessarily a write off, it could just need new bearings and a wipe down with a bike mag!

There is a guy on here that refurbishes motors for a living and his advice is to react to new noises coming from your motor. Investigate, don't just wait until it grinds (literally) to a halt!

Wear on the drive train is not necessarily poor on emtbs. I have almost 1500 miles on mine and the chain is still only at 0.375%. I have been through two winters on that and ride mostly on sandy terrain. The gears show no signs of wear other than scuffing. It all depends upon how you ride, change gear, and how you look after your kit.

The best thing is to assume that your bike will be worthless after three years and then everything after that is a bonus! :)

GuyB

May 6, 2020
Christchurch, New Zealand
Thanks for the advice team. All good things to consider and especially liked the comment....."The best thing is to assume that your bike will be worthless after three years and then everything after that is a bonus! " ...... Classic :ROFLMAO:
conceptual-finance-image-of-burning-pile-of-money-picture-id1154582481

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Since buying my ebike 9 months ago, I’ve spent more on accessories / tools than the actual cost of the bike.
Just the bike shed and Go Pro alone was half the cost of the bike and I hate to even think about the never ending purchase of unnecessary shiny tools (serious addiction).

Almost everything I own now is bloody e-specific, even my t-shirts and the mug I drink my tea out of. ?

But if I had my time again, would I do anything differently? Not a chance! ?

Happy riding!

Husky430

E*POWAH Elite
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
They're great, I figure you got the t-shirt from here somewhere but where did you get the mug from. Know just the bloke that would be an ideal bday pressie for. Thanks heaps for putting them up too.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles