Levo Gen 3 Advice: Brand new 2022 Turbo Levo carbon comp or used Pro version?

Ghostviking

Jul 31, 2022
Norway
Hi!

I got an offer to buy a 6 months old Turbo Levo PRO 2022 with 650 miles on it, or a brand new Turbo Levo carbon Comp - the Pro being about 1000 USD cheaper then the brand new carbon Comp.

The seller of the Pro just serviced the fork, and he has a new Ext coil 230x65 with a 450 and an extra 475 spring. He has also added Cascade components link, which extends it to 170 mm front and 165 mm at the back. It has little wear and tear from what I can see, and the seller has mostly done easy trail riding (if to be trusted).

The Carbon Comp version retails at about 9 400 USD where I live, and the used Pro (privat seller, with warranty from shop) would be about 8 400 USD. Any advice from some of you experts out there? Thank you!

Chris

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I would take the Pro version. Better components and Ext coil. 650 miles and 6 months riding is nothing.
And 2nd owner has the same warranty if something happens.
Pro has the new Mastermind TCU and Comp don't?

Ask if you can get it for 8k USD

Ghostviking

Jul 31, 2022
Norway
@Mcharza: Thanks! The new carbon comp has the mastermind actually, that is a major upgrade from the gen 2 comp.

@Darkyhs: Thats right - it looks like the Turbo Levo Long Shock Kit. The original kit is 210x55 compared to 230x65 with the Cascade link (information from the seller).

I am not a professional or big on jumps, just ordinary trail raiding out in the Scandinavian mountains on biketrails (mostly gravel and sand). But I am looking for a bike for the next five to seven years, and I am not very handy with mechanics. It would be great to just have this bike, and service it at the shop about once a year as per recommended - plus the everyday maintenance/cleaning etc.

Last edited:

Darkyhs

Oct 25, 2020
Freiburg, Germany
@Ghostviking , the only difference is that you have longer travel, and it should feel more planted if you point it down. It is an overall great bike! My wife has the Gen 2 Levo and she does similar riding to you. As we're motor-assisted you can have more travel, which also means that the bike is more comfortable.

Ghostviking

Jul 31, 2022
Norway
@Darkyhs . Ok, that sounds great! If 600 miles is ok considering the lifespan of the bike with the battery and motor, I guess a used Pro is better value then a new carbon comp. I think the seller is trustworthy after some routine due-diligence from my part, but man - this is so much money! :cool:

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
I have the Pro version, awesome bike especially with a TTX22 and smashpot fitted, yeah I'm on my 3rd motor (seems all good so far👍👍) but hey ho that's what warranties are for and it hasn't put me out in any way I just timed it for me going back to work and dropped it off and it's fixed when I get home 👍

IronScott

Oct 19, 2021
NW Arkansas
Get the original receipt from the seller and the warranty is good for two years from the original purchase date. Pretty sure you need the original receipt, however.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
Hi!

I got an offer to buy a 6 months old Turbo Levo PRO 2022 with 650 miles on it, or a brand new Turbo Levo carbon Comp - the Pro being about 1000 USD cheaper then the brand new carbon Comp.

The seller of the Pro just serviced the fork, and he has a new Ext coil 230x65 with a 450 and an extra 475 spring. He has also added Cascade components link, which extends it to 170 mm front and 165 mm at the back. It has little wear and tear from what I can see, and the seller has mostly done easy trail riding (if to be trusted).

The Carbon Comp version retails at about 9 400 USD where I live, and the used Pro (privat seller, with warranty from shop) would be about 8 400 USD. Any advice from some of you experts out there? Thank you!

Chris
High Rock Ruti

I ride 2021 carbon pro, in fact just picked up from the shop. Thought I'd see if they'd replace the noisy motor before it fails, nope. There's only one thing wrong with this electric bike,
...."the motor"! I'm on #4 and #5 is a few miles away. I'm actually trying to do this; kill the motor as close to the car as possible. That's, that adaptive thinkin everyone's talkin bout. I love this bike however, have a couple of spares. What are the chances of both bikes being broken at the same time? 100%!, Got 3 spares, about to get a fourth spare. Specialized has been utterly fantastic on warranty, except that they insist on a dead motor prior in providing a new one. I rode the Orbea while levo was in the shop. Great handling bike, and the Bosch is simply the best drive made 1700 miles SAME MOTOR, hello Specialized are you listening? I paid 13K for the new levo pro, same price as 2022 KTM 500, the much beloved dirt bike. (Scared to ride anything that can do 80 mph on treed single track). Go for the used pro and with the $4600 you saved off of retail, buy a spare Bosch drive bike, you know a spare?

Warm Regards Ruti

Ghostviking

Jul 31, 2022
Norway
High Rock Ruti

I ride 2021 carbon pro, in fact just picked up from the shop. Thought I'd see if they'd replace the noisy motor before it fails, nope. There's only one thing wrong with this electric bike,
...."the motor"! I'm on #4 and #5 is a few miles away. I'm actually trying to do this; kill the motor as close to the car as possible. That's, that adaptive thinkin everyone's talkin bout. I love this bike however, have a couple of spares. What are the chances of both bikes being broken at the same time? 100%!, Got 3 spares, about to get a fourth spare. Specialized has been utterly fantastic on warranty, except that they insist on a dead motor prior in providing a new one. I rode the Orbea while levo was in the shop. Great handling bike, and the Bosch is simply the best drive made 1700 miles SAME MOTOR, hello Specialized are you listening? I paid 13K for the new levo pro, same price as 2022 KTM 500, the much beloved dirt bike. (Scared to ride anything that can do 80 mph on treed single track). Go for the used pro and with the $4600 you saved off of retail, buy a spare Bosch drive bike, you know a spare?

Warm Regards Ruti

Hi! I have been worried about the motor, and hoped the 2.2 would be better. I have been reading about this here in the forums. I have jused tried my «new» Turbo Levo Pro for the very first time last night, I must say - as you - I love this bike - just hope the motor works a while. I was planing a road test for my first ride, but went all the way up to the top of a ski resort here in Norway. The bike justed craved going off road, it was almost no fun in riding on a road with this amazing mountain hardware.

Thank you Ruti - take care!

Chris

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
Hi! I have been worried about the motor, and hoped the 2.2 would be better. I have been reading about this here in the forums. I have jused tried my «new» Turbo Levo Pro for the very first time last night, I must say - as you - I love this bike - just hope the motor works a while. I was planing a road test for my first ride, but went all the way up to the top of a ski resort here in Norway. The bike justed craved going off road, it was almost no fun in riding on a road with this amazing mountain hardware.

Thank you Ruti - take care!

Chris
High Rock Ruti

Hello Chris thanks for reaching out

Norway, in my imagination it's so fantastic to ride, is it what's called "Alpine"?
Rode the Levo this morning 90F degrees, keep moving, keep cool! It's my favorite bike, the Orbea and the Rail 9.8 also great, just not a Levo. Motor is whining, and occasionally running on after pedaling 2 or 3 seconds, both signs of trouble ahead.
I'd reach out to your LBS, ask them about motor replacements as a heads up, take your bike have the conversation so the bike can hear it, the motor will get an attitude about not breaking, it's German after all.....?

Warm Regards Ruti

Sep 13, 2021
SI
Between PRO and COMP CARBON are many differences and Display, Mastermind TCU, better Fork, and with rear shock upgrades, you get Long travel Turbo Levo with better, upgraded progression and tune.

Just make sure, that you will get = buy other original carbon parts from PRO model (handlebar, cranks and wheels Roval carbon, seatpost Fox factory and X01 complete drivetrain) and than you will buy maksimum performance and top spec for that money.

Wish you all the best!
Matej
#TurboLevoPRObrothers

Ghostviking

Jul 31, 2022
Norway
I would go with Pro but can we have the full spec please?

Hi!

Thank you all once again! I took all of
the information from this forum, and decided to roll the dice on a Pro. I went for second-hand, but from May 22 with about 100 miles usage on trails - paint job still looks good. It has the original specs from Specialized except for the SRAM GX Eagle wireless shifting and tubeless set-up with cushcore. I decided against a coil spring modified version, since I had no place locally to service them. I could send them, but the hassle and cost of shipping was a negative. Price was about identical to a brand new Carbon Comp retail version, so good discount. First impression after initial ride; off course pretty impressive machine. YouTubers have helped me understand the different expects in advance. The technology is amazing in itself, and the wireless shifting was maybe the biggest surprise - it is so smooth. But I am a newbie, and everything is new and exiting at this stage. Fingers crossed - hope the motor keeps running smoothly for a long time. I try not to think too much on the economics, but man - these bikes a pretty dang expensive.

Cheers!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles