A fractured humerus and potential XL '19 Levo Comp Carbon sale.

fzootb

Oct 9, 2020
Henley on Thames
Hi all,

Hope this is ok to post..

Been riding a Spesh eMTB for 3 weeks and absolutely smitten with riding. Yesterday I'm sad to report I've fractured my humerus going over the barson a local XC path - a piece of wire was across the path and didn't see it in time. Barely a scratch on me, just an awkward landing.

I'm obviously completely gutted and will be out of action for some time. Weighing up whether I can pass this bike on to a good home to be used as it should be - it's rubbish thinking it'll miss out on being ridden by someone who could be super keen for it.

So there it is - before I upload an official ad etc, I'm curious if anyone is interested? Odometer is close to 600 miles, stock but with Assegai tubeless, burgtec wide bars, nukeproof stem and a brand new Sram cassette, pads etc from a service less than 30 miles ago. A couple of light marks - one on the bar, a chip to the paint under the S at the front and a rub on the top of the fork (will be in the ad photos if any interest in a sale). Price will be at the £3,800 mark, again just to scope interest.

Otherwise I'll continue to just enjoy admiring the navy blue sheen through a painkiller haze.

Rob, let me know if I need to remove - totally get it.

Stay safe everyone. I feel so bad for injuring myself and adding pressure to the NHS. Fortunately I used minimal medical resource during a lull at my local town hospital. I can only thank a slowish speed and proper protection that I'm no worse off. I hope the vandals who strung up the wire have no other victims before I get back to the scene tomorrow and remove it.

I can't wait to be back out riding. It's truly one of the greatest pleasures I count myself lucky to be able to do.

Felix

fzootb

Oct 9, 2020
Henley on Thames
Sorry to hear that and I hope you recover quickly.
I don't get why you're selling the bike. Is that because of the fall ?
A great question/view point Nick. I actually feel bad for the bike that it won't be ridden at a time when someone really wants to ride it. It's kind of selfish of me to have it when only a few weeks ago I did a 450 mile round trip to pick up this very bike and the excitement I had after having multiple failed attempts to buy a bike during lockdown meant I might not have been riding until April next year.

By the time I'm fit enough to ride again to the level a bike like this deserves, I'm hoping the delays will have lifted.

If it has no interest, I'll be delighted to know I'll be able to ride it again. I'm just thinking that if there was someone as keen as I was/am out there who'd really want it, I'd feel bad that I was keeping it to myself because of a bunch of muppets and some wire.

Thanks for the note on a speedy recovery - me too! It's amazingly painful and typing one-handed with my non-dominant hand sucks!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Well .. that's not humerous is is ! ...

Personally, I'd keep it.

Selling it means it's gone and you then either move on and don't bother again because of the pain or you go through the even more ridiculous pain we put ourselves through trying to decide what to buy next.

Even if you sold it today and decided to order a new bike - you might be waiting 3-6 months for that to come anyway.

I fractured my pelvis last year (riding accident). Was supposed to be 6 weeks bed rest. I can't do bed rest and I'm not sitting in a hospital for 6 weeks. I found I could drop the dropper and slide on from behind and still potter about and at least walk the dog (painfully, wishing it was an FS bike and not a Hardtail).

Had a pretty good accident about 13 weeks ago and still recovering from that. Torn rotator cuff and several other things. Self employed so carried on working which has hugely extended recovery times. Also carried on riding, which is obscenely painful, but keeps me sane (?).

I'm not saying you should ride - I'd say with that - DEFINATELY NOT AT ALL ! But at least staring at it begrudgingly gives you the knowledge you will be riding it again and will then give you the motivation with recovery exercises to get mobile to ride it again !

You'll be out for what, 12 weeks ? depending on the type of Fracture. In 12 weeks time that will feel like only a month has gone by.

In the meantime you can become a youtube sensation as the one handed bike wash guy...

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@fzootb If found, the bastards that string up a wire booby trap should be prosecuted for attempted murder. You should report this to the Police because you could have been killed. If someone assaulted you and broke your arm that would be GBH (grievous bodily harm) and that carries heavy jail time. So why not for erecting a wire?

Last edited:

fzootb

Oct 9, 2020
Henley on Thames
If found, the bastards that string up a wire booby trap should be prosecuted for attempted murder. You should report this to the Police because you could have been killed. If someone assaulted you and broke your arm that would be GBH (grievous bodily harm) and that carries heavy jail time. So why not for erecting a wire?
A good point, I will raise to Police. I did raise it to a local at the time (local dog walker) and they seemed surprised. Until now, just though it was rubbish to do and do want to distract police.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
A good point, I will raise to Police. I did raise it to a local at the time (local dog walker) and they seemed surprised. Until now, just though it was rubbish to do and do want to distract police.
When you do, tell them that the wire is a hazard waiting to kill someone, that you couldn't remove it last the time due to the shock and pain from your broken arm. Once you have told them they will have to take care of it. The hassle will motivate them to do something about it.
Before you report it though make certain that the place you were riding was legal for bikes, or they may get a conviction from the incident - just not the one you were hoping for!

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Sorry to hear your news Felix, hope it doesn't take too long before your riding again.

I agree with what Zimmer, I think you'd be be better off keeping hold of your Levo; by the time your riding again, the weather will have picked up and the demand for the bike is likely to be high.

If you decide to get another Levo then, it will more than likely cost a lot more to get hold of one, and you'll have a long wait if you order a new one as Zimmer says.

I had a OTB in March and couldn't ride for about six weeks, and was shocked when the Doctor said it could take 3 months to fully recover. I thought about selling, but resisted as I like the bike too much.

You obviously love and enjoy the bike, it would be a shame to get rid, a decision you might regret when your able to ride again.

Last edited:

fzootb

Oct 9, 2020
Henley on Thames
Sorry to hear your news Felix, hope it doesn't take too long before your riding again.

I agree with what Zimmer, I think you'd be be better off keeping hold of your Levo; by the time your riding again, the weather will have picked up and the demand for the bike is likely to be high.

If you decide to get another Levo then, it will more than light cost a lot more to get hold of one, and you'll have a long wait if you order a new one as Zimmer says.

I had a OTB in March and couldn't ride for about six weeks, and was shocked when the Doctor said it could take 3 months to fully recover. I thought about selling, but resisted as I like the bike too much.

You obviously love and enjoy the bike, it would be a shame to get rid, a decision you might regret when your able to ride again.
Thanks bud. This is comforting to hear. I get quite anthropomorphic about things like this!

fzootb

Oct 9, 2020
Henley on Thames
When you do, tell them that the wire is a hazard waiting to kill someone, that you couldn't remove it last the time due to the shock and pain from your broken arm. Once you have told them they will have to take care of it. The hassle will motivate them to do something about it.
Before you report it though make certain that the place you were riding was legal for bikes, or they may get a conviction from the incident - just not the one you were hoping for!
An entirely legitimate bridleway. Report being lodged and what3words to the location.

Husky430

E*POWAH Elite
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Broke 2 vertebrae, collar bone, open fracture of the scapular, and a couple of ribs by going over the bars at the end of November. Started doing long walks within a fortnight of getting out of hospital to keep up a bit of fitness and was back on the bike, although a little gingerly to start with, by the middle of January. Was pretty much back to normal, though still doing the physio, in March. Don't sell it, as the boys have mentioned, these bikes are like rocking horse sh#t to find at the moment and I reckon all manufacturers production runs are pretty much all sold out many months back. Speedy recovery to you and do the physio, I found it helped no end.

Velociraptor

Oct 10, 2020
Pacific Northwest
Keep the bike. It's early days. Either that or sell it and get a newer model when you are ready. I am in the USA and looking for a new Kenevo. Word is nothing until April. Good luck on the recovery!

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
I’d keep it unless you’re desperately needing the money for some other purpose. I was off my bike for 8 months. I just lent it to friends or colleagues who were e-curious. Maybe you could list it on Spinlister for rental?

fzootb

Oct 9, 2020
Henley on Thames
Broke 2 vertebrae, collar bone, open fracture of the scapular, and a couple of ribs by going over the bars at the end of November. Started doing long walks within a fortnight of getting out of hospital to keep up a bit of fitness and was back on the bike, although a little gingerly to start with, by the middle of January. Was pretty much back to normal, though still doing the physio, in March. Don't sell it, as the boys have mentioned, these bikes are like rocking horse sh#t to find at the moment and I reckon all manufacturers production runs are pretty much all sold out many months back. Speedy recovery to you and do the physio, I found it helped no end.
You are a MACHINE! Thanks for the useful perspective and time lines, helps no end thinking it’ll be all fixed soon-ish!

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Keep it mate. There no issue with listing bikes on here that's what it's for..

As others have said if you sold it now and ordered a new one today it might not even arrive until your healed. You'll be double sad when it's gone..

You might find your confidence knocked afterwards and you associate the bike with pain, but it's just a case of getting back in the saddle.

I find wires and sticks on trails designed to bring people off utterly despicable. Sending you healing vibes dude..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles