55 miles , 4200 ft. Fuel :- 500 watts, two cheese butties and a out of date M&S scone! Will I make it ?

JohnJohn

Aug 31, 2019
uk
Good work, I tried to walk the Ridgeway once, bloody purgatory. Be fun to ride it.

Lots of ancient history there. Before the road network, the 3 east-west thoroughfares of southern Ancient Britain were the Ridgeway, North Downs and South Downs.

JohnJohn

Aug 31, 2019
uk
I really enjoy being up there on a nice day. Got a vague plan that's "on the back boiler " to get the train from Reading to Chippenham then ride towards Calne then on to the Ridgeway at Avebury and ride all the way to Goring.
I'll need to buy a spare battery ...

JohnJohn

Aug 31, 2019
uk
Thanks, I really really really, really really ... like it ! :) Standard paint . It's Specialized Storm Grey, they've done one of the 2020 Levo's in it :

View attachment 19021

The megalithic burial chambers are quite unusual. I think I've found four so far dotted around. They refer to them as "covered ways" :

There's one here with some details :

Google Translate

There's a lot of old sites about in the area.

Carnac stones - Wikipedia

Menhirs et dolmens du Morbihan - Sites mégalithiques de Bretagne Sud

You've just won the Cleanest Chain in the World award ?

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
I really enjoy being up there on a nice day. Got a vague plan that's "on the back boiler " to get the train from Reading to Chippenham then ride towards Calne then on to the Ridgeway at Avebury and ride all the way to Goring.
I'll need to buy a spare battery ...

or borrow one

Ed_M

Patreon
Aug 9, 2019
Wokingham
Well I made it , sort of . Had to change the route half way because off a farmer who'd ploughed a bridleway. Anyway, I still did 50 miles with 3300 ft Climbing. Got to the pub with 3 % battery.
I had a wonderful day and that's what matters ?
i’d be interested in doing that route too if you are ok to share it. The photos looked great.

JohnJohn

Aug 31, 2019
uk
i’d be interested in doing that route too if you are ok to share it. The photos looked great.
Yes mate I'd happily share it. One problem . The route I mapped out on OS wasn't possible to complete because the bridleway I was using just disappeared in the middle of four fields . I had to go back on myself. In short the route I mapped isn't do-able.
Not sure how I could share the route I actually did. Is it possible from Strava ? I'm sure there is a way . I'll sort it out and post the GPX on here or where ever for you

Ed_M

Patreon
Aug 9, 2019
Wokingham
Yes mate I'd happily share it. One problem . The route I mapped out on OS wasn't possible to complete because the bridleway I was using just disappeared in the middle of four fields . I had to go back on myself. In short the route I mapped isn't do-able.
Not sure how I could share the route I actually did. Is it possible from Strava ? I'm sure there is a way . I'll sort it out and post the GPX on here or where ever for you
Cheers. You can export from Strava but I think you have to be a premium member. No worries if you can’t.

if you want some company on your next big ride give me a shout.

JohnJohn

Aug 31, 2019
uk
Cheers. You can export from Strava but I think you have to be a premium member. No worries if you can’t.

Ok mate I'll hold you to that
you can export the file with the data points from Strava I think.

or just set the ride public and share the URL.
Mate - I'm a social media d

Yes mate I'd be happy to have some company !! Where do you live ?

JohnJohn

Aug 31, 2019
uk
you can export the file with the data points from Strava I think.

or just set the ride public and share the URL.
Thanks mate ! I'll try but I'm a social media dunce. Always tried to avoid it. Since I've had the emtb I've never been off it !!! Emtb - life changing ?

JohnJohn

Aug 31, 2019
uk
Wokingham.
Flippin heck mate your next door . I'm in Reading. Yeah , well up for a ride out somewhere
I Tried to share that route but gave up in the end . As I said I'm A social media dunce .
I'll be off out somewhere over the weekend , weather dependent.
I'll let you know where I plan to ride ( not got around to it yet ) If your interested great ! If not no problem.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
As I said I'm A social media dunce

Today's strava lesson ...

This depends on how locked down your strava privacy is, ie, if people need to request to follow, or if they can just click follow .. If it's all open and people only need to click follow and not request to follow, you can skip to step 3 (well, after doing the first line of step 1)

Step 1. Find your activity and click on it.

On the left, below the "overview, analysis, summit" box you'll see a small pencil - this is the "edit" option and takes you to the edit page, where you can change the title, the description, delete or add photo's, change the bike you used or even change the activity, so if you accidentally saved it as a walk, yoga, ride - you can change it to e-bike.

Step 2. Scroll down so you can see "Privacy Controls" on the left. Change the "who can see this activity" to "everyone" .. click Save at the top right of the page. It will return to the normal activity view.

Step 3. Right click the address bar at the top. It should automatically highlight the strava activity link address. Select Copy from the drop down list which should have appeared when you right clicked.

If it doesn't - highlight the address and either right click and select copy or press CTRL+C

Step 4. Post reply in here ..

Click in the reply box, then either right click and select paste .. or press CTRL+V

Today's boring lesson complete.

Don't feel just because I've put the instructions there that you need to do it. There just there so you know how to do it if you ever need to.

JohnJohn

Aug 31, 2019
uk

This depends on how locked down your strava privacy is, ie, if people need to request to follow, or if they can just click follow .. If it's all open and people only need to click follow and not request to follow, you can skip to step 3 (well, after doing the first line of step 1)

On the left, below the "overview, analysis, summit" box you'll see a small pencil - this is the "edit" option and takes you to the edit page, where you can change the title, the description, delete or add photo's, change the bike you used or even change the activity, so if you accidentally saved it as a walk, yoga, ride - you can change it to e-bike.

Step 2. Scroll down so you can see "Privacy Controls" on the left. Change the "who can see this activity" to "everyone" .. click Save at the top right of the page. It will return to the normal activity view.

Step 3. Right click the address bar at the top. It should automatically highlight the strava activity link address. Select Copy from the drop down list which should have appeared when you right clicked.

If it doesn't - highlight the address and either right click and select copy or press CTRL+C

Click in the reply box, then either right click and select paste .. or press CTRL+V

Don't feel just because I've put the instructions there that you need to do it. There just there so you know how to do it if you ever need to.
What a cracking bloke you are to go to all that trouble !!

What a fella to go to all that trouble to help a dope like me !!!

I'll have a bash at doing it but that doesn't mean I will suceed !

I'd given up.
Thanks for that Zimmer , top bloke .

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
What a cracking bloke you are to go to all that trouble !!

You went to the trouble and did that phenomenally long ride !! We just want to admire your pain ! :)

It's the same for any of us who haven't done something before .. if you don't know how to do it, it just seems impossible and you're more worried about breaking something .. Sounds like Mountain Biking ! :)

JohnJohn

Aug 31, 2019
uk
You went to the trouble and did that phenomenally long ride !! We just want to admire your pain ! :)

It's the same for any of us who haven't done something before .. if you don't know how to do it, it just seems impossible and you're more worried about breaking something .. Sounds like Mountain Biking ! :)
Funny you should mention breaking things because the first time I rode an MTB trail (about 3 weeks ago , Swinley forest) I broke a rib or two !! Over the bars... I'm going to stick to going INTO bars and riding cross country riding in future ??

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
first time I rode an MTB trail (about 3 weeks ago , Swinley forest) I broke a rib or two !! Over the bars

Good man ! It shows you're trying !! I wonder if this is just normal ?? I started at xmas and ride number three or something I wiped out over a tree and fractured a rib :) Three months later on bike no.2, on it's second ride, confidence running way higher than ability - I did a huge OTB off a fast drop and fractured my pelvis and knocked myself out, came round to the dog licking the blood off my face ! :) I still love it and was not deterred.

JohnJohn

Aug 31, 2019
uk

Good man ! It shows you're trying !! I wonder if this is just normal ?? I started at xmas and ride number three or something I wiped out over a tree and fractured a rib :) Three months later on bike no.2, on it's second ride, confidence running way higher than ability - I did a huge OTB off a fast drop and fractured my pelvis and knocked myself out, came round to the dog licking the blood off my face ! :) I still love it and was not deterred.
Mad man ???

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
https//:strava.app.link/kmGZad5vfO

Close - I think ... not sure how you got that ?!?!?

Should be something like "https : // www.strava.com / activities / 2727517639" - without all he spaces ..

Your's has https//: So I guess you re-typed it ? as it would be https:// but the activity is normally just numbers not numbers and letters ... uhmmm ... Wonder if that's on an an android device and not a PC ?

It's a mystery ! :)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Never noticed before, but you can also share from Android. In the activity, click the share icon top right, three circles in a triangle pattern.

In there you can copy to clipboard. The in here press and hold in a reply and paste should appear..

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/OxBZlUtDf0

Weird.. that Looks like your link... Uhmm...

JohnJohn

Aug 31, 2019
uk

Follow John on Strava to see this activity. Join for free.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles