203mm rotor fitment

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
My first ride yesterday with new 203 freeza rotor. When I replaced the rotor, I also replaced the pads - the spring had just started to scrape. It wasn't my usual steep up and down ride, which is good - I'll explain. We did a ride that was a gradual 12km climb along the side of a ridge to the side of a mountain. Coming back the same way was a fast xc type ride - not a huge amount of braking. I figure that was a good break in for the pads. I'll soon know the difference when I do my regular steep ride :). Yes, good value upgrade though, as far as braking power and better cooling, even just with a larger disc. Mine wasn't an emtb type rotor - I had to epoxy a magnet to one of the arms. It is just a 5mm x 1mm magnet - tiny, but still works!

Tyjay

Apr 27, 2020
Bedlington
So quick update
Pads, callipers came today
Better fit still have to use a couple of spacers but all good

At least everything lines up with the most minimal rub
Which I can’t get rid off what so ever
EVery bike Iv had Iv never had brake rub always been able to sort it out. But this bike I just can’t get it not to rub pretty sure it’s the shitty hubs pushing .them out
When I say rub it’s so minimal and probably not even noticeable
But I know it’s there haha
Pads bed In, just need to bleed the rear as it just about reaches the bars when braking

Awesome test of brakes tomorrow at our localish trails

Cubie

Feb 19, 2020
Fife, Scotland
Hi all first post and all that

I upgraded my kenevo comp upto 203mm rotors as they were £10 cheaper than 200mm plus they were sold out of the 200mm

Anyhoo I bought the 203mm adapters (lifeline) but had real trouble fitting them, so just put a load of washers on the 20mm originals and left it
So today thought I’d haveanother go at it

Took some pics one is with the 203mm adaptor installed ignore the long bolts don’t have any smaller ones till tomorrow
The problem I’m having is second pic the rotor only goes half way into the pads/Caliper there’s quite a gap
On the previous mount they reached the outer edge so I won’t get uneven ware on pads (new ones on the way)
Third pic is of the rear brake with the washers and original mount (front was the samej

Was looking at shimano SM-MA-F203P/PM adapter will that be a better fit ie making the rotors futher into the Caliper
As in pic 1 I can’t make the Caliper any closer to the mount
Any help, info or what Iv done wrong? Is mucho appreciated

Thanks

View attachment 30744

View attachment 30745

View attachment 30746
Please dont take offence but for your own good let someone that knows what there doing set up your brakes before you end up killing yourself. The rear setup you have there is almost passable but you should have the washers above the adapter but that setup you had on the front is just horrendous.

I’ve spaced mine to 203’s using hope shims so I could get it bang on, works a treat but takes a bit of trial and error.
DD2FDA92-384A-463C-8C24-BF72F7671D07.jpeg
CAAF90C0-C2DE-4F5B-BCD6-7B10C8986AA4.jpeg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Please dont take offence but for your own good let someone that knows what there doing set up your brakes before you end up killing yourself. The rear setup you have there is almost passable but you should have the washers above the adapter but that setup you had on the front is just horrendous.

I’ve spaced mine to 203’s using hope shims so I could get it bang on, works a treat but takes a bit of trial and error. View attachment 31497 View attachment 31498
What rotors are those?

Tyjay

Apr 27, 2020
Bedlington
Please don’t take offence but I have mine set up the same as you
Don’t assume I know nothing about bikes but thanks for your concern about my life

Cheers
4EDA9A9A-AB00-459E-947D-FE6B281197B9.jpeg

9DA9955C-9E2B-453E-93EC-F6B1CECEF186.jpeg

I’ve spaced mine to 203’s using hope shims so I could get it bang on, works a treat but takes a bit of trial and error. View attachment 31497 View attachment 31498

Cubie

Feb 19, 2020
Fife, Scotland
Please don’t take offence but I have mine set up the same as you
Don’t assume I know nothing about bikes but thanks for your concern about my life

Cheers
View attachment 31499
View attachment 31500

No you dont, the pics you posted originally make it look like you couldn’t put a lego set together. Even now after being sarcastic about my advice you have 1 washer on your front and rear setup spacing the adapter out thats stopping the adapter from sitting flush. Anything you put between the frame and adapter has to be matched on both bolts or you’re twisting the adapter or stopping it from sitting flush. Pretty basic stuff.

Tyjay

Apr 27, 2020
Bedlington
sorted still have some slight rub on front though
I’ll wait till tomorrow to align them once I’m out as there new pads put on tonight
F142C044-8B05-442A-AE19-1110464C37E7.jpeg

F5DB9883-9EFA-4DA8-B9A8-E69E8DC9931C.jpeg

The washer you’ve added needs moved above the adapter like in my pic. Sort that and add the conical washers and you will be able to set them up rub free.

Tyjay

Apr 27, 2020
Bedlington
Thats it, should adjust properly now. Not having that conical there would have stopped the caliper being lined up. ?

Thanks
I left the conical washer off the rear as the xtr bolt wasn’t long enough with it on and didn’t want mismatched bolts then forgot that it wasn’t on
Ended off having to use the original bolts in the end (prefer the xtr bolts)

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I had no such trouble. I'm wondering if it's wiser to go all shimano or all sram? Mine, including the upgrades, are all shimano.

jaggysnake

Jul 5, 2019
uk
fitted clarks to my 2019 levo using washers and they terrible , no stopping power at all , dont know what ive done wrong , ill post a pic later .

why did they make 203mm strange size to go from 200mm , cant find 200mm anywhere

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
The pads look too high. Do you have the right adapter? Is it mounted the right way? Weird - they look too high both ends.

jaggysnake

Jul 5, 2019
uk
The pads look too high. Do you have the right adapter? Is it mounted the right way? Weird - they look too high both ends.
All I've added is a 1.4mm washer , if I take that out the wheel won't spin. Adaptor is stock std on levo is 200mm

jaggysnake

Jul 5, 2019
uk
rear i have taken one washer out trailing side and front used a thinner washer on trailing side, ill see how that goes

jaggysnake

Jul 5, 2019
uk
back from a test and they seem ok , front squeals a bit but got rubbish gorilla pads in, so i recommend clarks discs if you dont need hardcore braking

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
All I've added is a 1.4mm washer , if I take that out the wheel won't spin. Adaptor is stock std on levo is 200mm
why won't the front wheel spin? Is it because some of the pad hasn't been contacting the rotor and now there is a step in the pads? ie remove the washer, pads drop down a bit lower and now have some unused pad area at the top contacting the rotor?

If this is the case, at some point the pads may meet above the rotor causing minimal contact with the pads and rotor.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
No its hitting the actual caliper
in that case it doesn't look a good rotor for your pad shape / coverage, or vice versa. Ideally you'd want the pad covering those holes with some overlap. It looks as though the pads are just barely overlapping the bottom some of the holes and possibly not overlapping on others? If that is so, I imagine the bottom of the pads (closest to the axle) might be wearing quicker (as they hit the vertical ends of the holes). Just theory of course trying to imagine the consequences. It might be something to do with the 203 / 200mm design differences? A rotor with smaller holes could be less problematic - see tyjay's rotors above.

Last edited:

jaggysnake

Jul 5, 2019
uk
just too add , gave up in the end with washers and got proper adaptors ,

front plus 43mm rear plus 23mm

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles