2024 Whyte E160 RSX Review

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
About 150 miles on my 2024 E160 RSX and I am so impressed I had to comment!.
I bought an E160 RSX when they first launched in June 2022 and it performed flawlessly for over 1000 miles and was so pleased with that bike I decided to buy the same bike again in May 24. The only real spec difference between the bikes is the 24 has Sram T type AXS whereas the 22 has the first gen AXS....oh and the 24 has a chain guide. Not sure why...the 22 does not and never had any chain issues. So I set up the 24 exactly the same as the 22. High rise Deity bars and Ergon saddle. Nothing else needs changing.
Using both AXS systems on the same bike I really see no benefit in the more expensive T type ......and I never use either the 10t or 50/52t on either bike!
The "magic" of the E160 RSX is its front to rear balance requiring very little rider weight shift whether climbing, doing steep descents, drops or jumps. And of course its components are all top notch.
There is however one aspect of the 24 bike that is even better than the 22 version and that is the suspension tune. Both have the Fox 38 Performance Elite and Fox Float Performance Elite (160/155) but both shock and Fork are far more plush but with good ramp up. In fact the Fork feels the same as the one on my E180RS which was the E tuned version.
Love this bike!

Mik3F

Sep 23, 2023
Middleton
I have to disagree with the AXS comment, coming off a bike using the Old AXS, the T Type is so much better in my eyes

I have put 250KM into mine so far and have loved every KM

Im contemplating new bars and a Wireless dropper

Davvee

Subscriber
Jul 18, 2021
Mansfield
I’m loving mine, I took it around Cannock Chase yesterday and I really noticed the difference between my old bike and this. The fox suspension is so good.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have to disagree with the AXS comment, coming off a bike using the Old AXS, the T Type is so much better in my eyes

I have put 250KM into mine so far and have loved every KM

Im contemplating new bars and a Wireless dropper
I am happy with how my T type AXS is working. I was just stating that I feel it is no better than the initial AXS yet both chains and cassettes are much more expensive. I have yet to see how well the T type stands up to wear however.
The advice from SRAM seems to be that with T type you continue with the same chain and cassette until you get slipping/skipping, and then change both chain and cassette.
With the difference in Fox 38 fork performance between my 22 and 24 bikes I can only assume Fox reverted to the same damper tune they previously used on their ebike tuned version forks for all Fox 38s, from 2023 onwards (the date description of the 38 on my 24 bike). Whatever they did, it is so much better.
I note that various mtb yt channels are now suggesting high rise bars are a new trend for enduro. I have been using 50mm riser bars for years!! They certainly improve weight balance and comfort on the e160rsx in my opinion.
The other thing I did not mention in my review is that I fitted the Kiox300 to both bikes and used the flow app to tune the motor such that I only ever have both bikes in EMTB mode.....no mode changing required. Most of my rides are on forest trails and about 15 miles and that typically uses about 35% battery. I usually only charge to 90% before a ride so 55% left after a ride is a good level to be able to store the bike until it is next used.

Mik3F

Sep 23, 2023
Middleton
I am tempted by 50mm High Rise bars, my lad has 38mm on his bike
I am happy with how my T type AXS is working. I was just stating that I feel it is no better than the initial AXS yet both chains and cassettes are much more expensive. I have yet to see how well the T type stands up to wear however.
The advice from SRAM seems to be that with T type you continue with the same chain and cassette until you get slipping/skipping, and then change both chain and cassette.
With the difference in Fox 38 fork performance between my 22 and 24 bikes I can only assume Fox reverted to the same damper tune they previously used on their ebike tuned version forks for all Fox 38s, from 2023 onwards (the date description of the 38 on my 24 bike). Whatever they did, it is so much better.
I note that various mtb yt channels are now suggesting high rise bars are a new trend for enduro. I have been using 50mm riser bars for years!! They certainly improve weight balance and comfort on the e160rsx in my opinion.
The other thing I did not mention in my review is that I fitted the Kiox300 to both bikes and used the flow app to tune the motor such that I only ever have both bikes in EMTB mode.....no mode changing required. Most of my rides are on forest trails and about 15 miles and that typically uses about 35% battery. I usually only charge to 90% before a ride so 55% left after a ride is a good level to be able to store the bike until it is next used.
Id also be interested in seeing your settings for EMTB mode

Have to say I am contemplating putting some 38 or 50mm bars on it instead of the stock 30mm ones

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Could you post a screenshot of your emtb setting? I’d like to try it. Thanks
assistance +4 dynamic +3
Those settings for me mean I never use Turbo and 99% of the time I ride in EMTB only using Tour+ if I am forced to ride any tarmac sections to get to a trail.
The application of power is much more immediate yet remains controllable so for the type of riding I mostly do if I need to accelerate for a jump just after a corner or other feature that cannot be taken at speed, 3 or pedal strokes is enough. On climbs which for me are mostly short but very steep and with roots etc, there is plenty of power often in the 3rd lowest gear and power is far more controllable than using turbo. Another example of how the motor works on these settings is if tackling a gnarly bit of forest track and a section requires track standing in order to pull the front over an obstacle or swing the back end, the first push on the crank is powerful but controlled ( almost like trials riding technique). OK the penalty is less range but at least for me 750 w/h is typically overkill. I occasionally do longer XC type rides and they typically consist a lot more relatively flat single track where I can use Tour+ if I want to extend range.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I am tempted by 50mm High Rise bars, my lad has 38mm on his bike

Id also be interested in seeing your settings for EMTB mode

Have to say I am contemplating putting some 38 or 50mm bars on it instead of the stock 30mm ones
Not sure you would feel much difference at 38mm.

The other thing to consider is how you orientate the bars.....there is some difference of opinion on that! My method is to orientate the maximum rise perpendicular to the ground whereas some orientate the max rise in line with the headset angle. I believe both the back and upsweep shape of the bars is only correct if the bar is perpendicular with the ground whereas it is not as designed if orientated with the headset angle.....and oriented as such it reduces the reach.

Davvee

Subscriber
Jul 18, 2021
Mansfield
I want to change the metal pads on my 160. I just can’t get on with the metal ones. I’m having a few problems with the brakes at moment as when i lean the bike over in a corner, the front makes a noise like it’s rubbing. When spinning the front up it doesn’t rub at all and all the bolts are tight … just unsure what’s causing it.

mooby77

Jun 28, 2020
Snowdonia
I had a similar issue , changed to organics , then back , how i fixed was to centre the caliper on the disk really well , check your disc for distortion too.
I bled my brakes using gravity method , then re-centred the caliper.

Paul

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
About 150 miles on my 2024 E160 RSX and I am so impressed I had to comment!.
I bought an E160 RSX when they first launched in June 2022 and it performed flawlessly for over 1000 miles and was so pleased with that bike I decided to buy the same bike again in May 24. The only real spec difference between the bikes is the 24 has Sram T type AXS whereas the 22 has the first gen AXS....oh and the 24 has a chain guide. Not sure why...the 22 does not and never had any chain issues. So I set up the 24 exactly the same as the 22. High rise Deity bars and Ergon saddle. Nothing else needs changing.
Using both AXS systems on the same bike I really see no benefit in the more expensive T type ......and I never use either the 10t or 50/52t on either bike!
The "magic" of the E160 RSX is its front to rear balance requiring very little rider weight shift whether climbing, doing steep descents, drops or jumps. And of course its components are all top notch.
There is however one aspect of the 24 bike that is even better than the 22 version and that is the suspension tune. Both have the Fox 38 Performance Elite and Fox Float Performance Elite (160/155) but both shock and Fork are far more plush but with good ramp up. In fact the Fork feels the same as the one on my E180RS which was the E tuned version.
Love this bike!
Mike I think you will find the T type chain and cassette will last a lot longer. The chain wear on mine so far is a lot better than the previous AXS.

NorthernDust

Apr 30, 2024
Pennines
High rise bars a new trend

Back to the bike; just not been out on mine enough because of holidays and still riding the YT while out with my mate.

Off to do Scarhouse with extra descents tomorrow so really looking forward to that

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles