2023 Giant Trance X E+ / E+ Elite

thebradjohns

May 14, 2024
New Zealand
Hey mate. Where can you get the -1 deg headset from? I'm running the original Fox Float 36 (Elite 2) with 160mm. Just interested to see what it would be like 1 deg slacker.
How can I find out about head set size? Is this the internal diameter? I can measure tonight.
But to be honest, the bike feels great on the low bb setting with the head angle as is and I was coming from 63.5.
I'm not sure if you need to over stroke the rear shock. The bike feels more like 150mm travel, it's very plush.
I run the shock with 250 PSI in the medium position (not fully open) and it feels similar to the 150mm travel on my Stumpy Evo.
One more tip, dial down the motor power in the app, you don't need more than 40-60 Nm / 150-250 KW to keep up with full powered eMTBs. It's somehow more powerful than you would expect and drains the battery quickly.
Can't wait to take the bike down to Rotorua soon.
Headset is this one provided the trance uses a 44mm upper, 56mm lower bearing. All the cables would need to be relocated from the stock thru headset setup to the port on the side of the frame so would be a bit of work.

Good to know about the rear being so good. I'm coming from an overforked V1 transition sentinel with CC rear link (148mm/170mm) which I imagine is a bit of a boat compared to the trance.

I was planning to dial back all the modes and just leave the highest setting at full power/assist for the odd little squirts. I'm close to 100kg so don't envisage getting much range at all running full power.

Pick my bike up Friday and I'm pretty excited to get out and rip it.

Redfox

Dec 23, 2023
New Zealand
Headset is this one provided the trance uses a 44mm upper, 56mm lower bearing. All the cables would need to be relocated from the stock thru headset setup to the port on the side of the frame so would be a bit of work.

Thanks for the link, I'll check the diameters top and bottom of the head tube tonight.
Brake and shifter cables won't be an issue, but the power up down switch might be a pain to move. Not sure which end the cable comes off, but I suspect it will be by the motor. The switch and cable at the handlebar look like a fixed unit.
If you're tall / frame size XL, I recommend swapping the handlebar to a 800mm for more stability, stock was 780 or even 760 on my bike.

John_A

Sep 26, 2022
UK
It’s an sz56 sx56 headset. I wouldn’t worry bother with an angle set it feels slacker than the measurements suggest

Also you would need to ditch the headset cable routing so at least upgrade to Axs gearing as you only have one port for cables

Planned to do the same to mine but after riding it decided it was more than ok as it is

Redfox

Dec 23, 2023
New Zealand
It’s an sz56 sx56 headset. I wouldn’t worry bother with an angle set it feels slacker than the measurements suggest

Also you would need to ditch the headset cable routing so at least upgrade to Axs gearing as you only have one port for cables

Planned to do the same to mine but after riding it decided it was more than ok as it is
I just measured it, the bearings are both 52 mm. I've attached images of what it looks like as I'm not an expert with these things, not sure if I measured correctly. There seem to be two cups pressed into the frame, do these need to come out to get to the 56mm diameter?
The power mode switch will need to be redone, there's no easy way of disconnecting the cable.
Correct, currently there would be one cable too many for the side ports. Either remote dropper or AXS.
And I agree, the head tube angle adjustment is not really needed, certainly not at this cost.
The bike feels slacker than it is.

IMG_8344.jpg IMG_8343.jpg

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
Mine came stock with the RS 35 Gold fork. I did a fork service on it and it was easy to extend it from 150 to 160mm. I don't think it's worth the trouble to add the 10mm. It's not noticeable on the trail and there is a bit of a resultant "clunk" at the top of stroke extension. I may reduce it back on my next service.

thebradjohns

May 14, 2024
New Zealand
I just measured it, the bearings are both 52 mm. I've attached images of what it looks like as I'm not an expert with these things, not sure if I measured correctly. There seem to be two cups pressed into the frame, do these need to come out to get to the 56mm diameter?
The power mode switch will need to be redone, there's no easy way of disconnecting the cable.
Correct, currently there would be one cable too many for the side ports. Either remote dropper or AXS.
And I agree, the head tube angle adjustment is not really needed, certainly not at this cost.
The bike feels slacker than it is.

View attachment 140304 View attachment 140305
Yeah you would need to remove the pressed in cups. Looks like Works Components makes a 56/56 1 deg head set.

Does look like its more work than its worth especially if you have to go to AXS dropper or shifting. I'm still gonna install my 160mm Lyrik as I already have it and it should be a good upgrade over the stock 35.

John_A

Sep 26, 2022
UK
Can anyone chuck up a photo of the frame cable entry port? Will it accept 3 x cables? Brake, dropper and shifting? I'm really not sold on the thru headset routing.
The port on the bike has a blanking plate on it. The bike should have come with a plastic bag with reflectors and bits in it. In there you’ll find a selection of port covers and one of them has 3 holes. I hate the headset routing and changing it is on the to-do list

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles