2020 Levo - Twitchy? Fixes?

Choc3

Apr 10, 2020
Scotland
Update received the 35 forks back today minus decals that should have been in the box. Just sent email to complain.

The service report says "Lower replaced". Definitely there was a problem with these 35.

Fork seems to be working when you push down.

RodC

May 28, 2020
Queretaro, Mexico
My bike, a month old Levo std, has been sent by the dealer to Specialized so they can review the fork. Unfortunately my Specialized dealer, doesn't dissasembly forks!
Crazy!!!! it will take a week or 2!

This RS Gold35 shouldnt be in a bike like this, maybe a cheaper bike, not a Turbo Levo... no matter if its tje entry level.

Choc3

Apr 10, 2020
Scotland
RodC it took 2 weeks for my forks to get repaired. I had to send only the forks to the bike shop first as they wanted to take a look and then they sent to SRAM.

Agree these RS Gold 35 forks should not be installed in Levo and should come with somthing like RS Yari.

At the end it it is a waste of time and money (I bought Lyrik) even if SRAM repairs/replace the forks.

I bought this bike knowing that some components where not high end (thinking how bad can they be) and would change over time but the bike was unrideable and the annoying thing is that for a bit more money Specialized could have installed a better fork from the start.

I would not recommend this Levo base model unless you plan to change the fork immediately.

Apr 26, 2020
Out west
RodC it took 2 weeks for my forks to get repaired. I had to send only the forks to the bike shop first as they wanted to take a look and then they sent to SRAM.

Agree these RS Gold 35 forks should not be installed in Levo and should come with somthing like RS Yari.

At the end it it is a waste of time and money (I bought Lyrik) even if SRAM repairs/replace the forks.

I bought this bike knowing that some components where not high end (thinking how bad can they be) and would change over time but the bike was unrideable and the annoying thing is that for a bit more money Specialized could have installed a better fork from the start.

I would not recommend this Levo base model unless you plan to change the fork immediately.

Not right that you guys have shops that can't tear down a fork. How is that possible?
As for the 35 gold it's not that bad if it's working like it should. I don't really understand the nuances between the Gold and the Yari. They both use similar springs and dampers.

That said, the Gold seems to have build issues that are fixable but need to be rebuilt to correct.....
It would have been better if they specd a Yari. I can't imagine the cost difference is more than 50 dollars and seems a much better fork

RodC

May 28, 2020
Queretaro, Mexico
Not right that you guys have shops that can't tear down a fork. How is that possible?
As for the 35 gold it's not that bad if it's working like it should. I don't really understand the nuances between the Gold and the Yari. They both use similar springs and dampers.

That said, the Gold seems to have build issues that are fixable but need to be rebuilt to correct.....
It would have been better if they specd a Yari. I can't imagine the cost difference is more than 50 dollars and seems a much better fork

I was unaware of the dealer "dis"capacity. A complete turnover for me.... they were so nice and supportive during the sale, only to find out that they are "not authorized to open suspensions yet"!!!!!

Been looking to upgrade shock and forks .... it seems they dont even do the 50 and 100 hrs service. I called the trek dealer, who also helped me bleed my Magura brakes, and they do service Fox or RS! Much better dealer this Trek guys.

Anyhow I am learning how to service the forks and suspension myself. If they will take long, ill call my back back and do the service myself. and they can go to hell; next bike may be a TREK.
I'm a capable mechanic, just lacking the experience.... I think this guys are awesome and his video is great:

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I know nothing, but I think the std tyres are pretty good!
I thought that until I changed them for michelin wild enduros, the difference is huge, there is a gulf of capability between the two.
I used to be able to feel the butchers sidewalls flexing in the corners and on my 19 bike I put quite a lot of tears in the sidewalls until they couldnt be repaired anymore, took 6 weeks I think. then I got the michelins and kept them on the new bike as well, they have done another 5 months without a single puncture and the sidewalls are rock solid. when I changed them, the first ride was a revelation, I could really take the piss in the corners and i pushed and pushed them until they let go but then they just grip again, I was laughing like an emptying drain the whole ride :D

RodC

May 28, 2020
Queretaro, Mexico
I thought that until I changed them for michelin wild enduros, the difference is huge, there is a gulf of capability between the two.
I used to be able to feel the butchers sidewalls flexing in the corners and on my 19 bike I put quite a lot of tears in the sidewalls until they couldnt be repaired anymore, took 6 weeks I think. then I got the michelins and kept them on the new bike as well, they have done another 5 months without a single puncture and the sidewalls are rock solid. when I changed them, the first ride was a revelation, I could really take the piss in the corners and i pushed and pushed them until they let go but then they just grip again, I was laughing like an emptying drain the whole ride :D

Sounds interesting... which size and models you got?
from their site, I see they only have 2.4". is that correct?

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Sounds interesting... which size and models you got?
from their site, I see they only have 2.4". is that correct?
yea thats the ones, the 29's only come in that size I think or perhaps a 2.6 which is like hens teeth. so 29 x 2.4 GumX is what I have.. im sure there are probably 'better' tyres out there but the point here is that they are light years ahead of the butchers.
pretty accurate review here: Michelin Wild Enduro Rear, Gum-X, 2.4in tyre review

RodC

May 28, 2020
Queretaro, Mexico
yea thats the ones, the 29's only come in that size I think or perhaps a 2.6 which is like hens teeth. so 29 x 2.4 GumX is what I have.. im sure there are probably 'better' tyres out there but the point here is that they are light years ahead of the butchers.
pretty accurate review here: Michelin Wild Enduro Rear, Gum-X, 2.4in tyre review

I am reading this one ... MAXXIS E‑Mountainbike Tires in Review | E-MOUNTAINBIKE Magazine

The best eMTB tire – … and why there's actually no such thing | E-MOUNTAINBIKE Magazine Edit: this one

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
cool article !! I fancy a chance when I wear the Michelins out, it will either be DHR2 + DHF or Assegai front a rear, whichever I go for, they will both be DH casing, maxxgrip WT TR 29x2.5

EDIT: im not implying that this is the correct choice for anyone else, I did get tired of reading about tyres and finding out what all the acronyms meant so this is where I ended up.. im not speaking from experience.

RodC

May 28, 2020
Queretaro, Mexico

i just purchased Fox 38 160mm and DPX2... can wait, but ill take 2-3 weeks

RodC

May 28, 2020
Queretaro, Mexico
cool article !! I fancy a chance when I wear the Michelins out, it will either be DHR2 + DHF or Assegai front a rear, whichever I go for, they will both be DH casing, maxxgrip WT TR 29x2.5

EDIT: im not implying that this is the correct choice for anyone else, I did get tired of reading about tyres and finding out what all the acronyms meant so this is where I ended up.. im not speaking from experience.

I know, the more i read, the less i understand. lol

Apr 26, 2020
Out west
I've got the dhf, dhr on a couple bikes. I like them but I don't have a lot of experience with other tires. Got them after reading a bunch of reviews. The Butchers seem ok on dry and loose trails, but they seem to pack up with mud very fast and hard. If I run over a 10 foot wet patch I'll have mud raining down on me for the next half mile as it spits off the tires..... Been thinking of replacing them.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles