Kenevo Gen1 2020 Kenevo Coil vs Air

Salespunk

Jul 27, 2020
Encinitas, CA
Thought I would share my experience in case anyone else is trying to make the decision. Originally rode my bike stock and was very happy with the performance of the stock Marz coil. Not much to complain about with it, but figured I would try the X2. When I put it on the bike felt a little more controlled, but it didn't feel like a dramatic difference.

Fast forward 9 months and it is time for me to get my X2 serviced. No big deal, took my shock off last night and mounted up my stock coil. Went for a ride today and what a difference. It was not a good difference either. There is simply not enough progression to support the bike deep into the stroke and it was bottoming big time everywhere. Next problem was the flex. It was obvious almost instantly how much the frame relies on the shock as a structural member. It also became very clear why the shafts are breaking, there is a tremendous amount of flex with the coil mounted. It was bad enough that the bike lost a lot of precision in the corners and rough.

Hope this helps anyone trying to decide whether it is worth making the change. Let me know if there are any other specific questions.

Salespunk

Jul 27, 2020
Encinitas, CA
Definitely puts a lot of stress on the shock. No matter what air shock you run extra service needs to be planned. My X2 does not sound great after a descent right now and it is slowly losing pressure over the period of a week. This is after about 1K miles of heavy riding.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Definitely puts a lot of stress on the shock. No matter what air shock you run extra service needs to be planned. My X2 does not sound great after a descent right now and it is slowly losing pressure over the period of a week. This is after about 1K miles of heavy riding.
Does not sound good.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
My 3rd marz coil blew today and will be sent a dpx2 on warranty , would have preferred the X2 though . Is the dpx2 any good ?

Salespunk

Jul 27, 2020
Encinitas, CA
The DPX2 is a nice shock for sure. It will feel a little firmer in the early stroke compared to the coil and X2. Might want to just sell the DPX and use the funds towards an X2.

CA320

Jun 22, 2020
SoCal
I was getting a creaking noise from my rockshox coil on my expert that has to go in for rockshox to look at. I have been happy with it apart from the noise but i'm not patient enough to wait for it to get back from warranty and ended up getting an X2 that i have been wanting to try anyway.

I had been asking people that had changed over what the difference is before hand to try and see what they liked and after just 3 days riding at 3 different places and after some tweaking i'll give my feedback on it.

To me the way i have set it up the back end feels a lot lighter going over chunk and into choppy turns. It definitely jumps better and the confidence it has given me for drops has been worth the investment. Overall it has made the bike more fun to ride.

Think the coil will be going on ebay when it gets back from warranty.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
I’ve been trying to find out what the dpx2 rides like as waiting for one on warranty , but not any info ANYWHERE !

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles