100km Rides on EMTB

Nailz

Apr 11, 2019
Frankfurt, Germany
Hi all,

When I was younger I could do 60 miles in a day. But now I’m older and fatter I have struggled to do a 50km yesterday.

The saddle was agony and my arms kept getting pins and needles - I want to ride 300km in one weekend at the end of this summer.

Any top tips for long EMTB rides, it seems we spend more time in the saddle and with less pressure on the pedals due to motor assist there is more weight on our asses and hands.

I ride a Giant full e+1.5 saddle is good quality, I wore bib shorts.

What’s next to try?

Thanks!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
When I first started biking I had pins and needles in my hands and occasional numbness. I came across Ergon grips and they solved the problem. Whenever I ride a bike without them, the problems return. Ergon do many different styles of grip, so check them out, but the GP1 work for me. :)
Ergon GP1 Grips | Chain Reaction Cycles

They need to be flatter than you would first think, so take an Allen key with you on your first few rides. Each grip may need a different angle. Have patience to get the set up just right. :)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
What’s next to try?

for a 300km in one weekend challenge?
(assuming your goal is just distance) use a normal road bike?
use it fo get fit again, build up stamina and toughen up to the saddle and position required.
3-4 months sounds about the right sort of time frame to set out a training plan to achieve it.

Emtbs really aren't a great choice for proper endurance distance riding.
Battery range is too low and they're heavy.
Achieving 100miles two consecutive days on a roadbike with a little preparation shouldn't be all that difficult for a fairly fit cyclist.

You don't actually have to sit down any more on an emtb than an ordinary bike at all.
it's just a choice.

Nailz

Apr 11, 2019
Frankfurt, Germany
for a 300km in one weekend challenge?
(assuming your goal is just distance) use a normal road bike?
use it fo get fit again, build up stamina and toughen up to the saddle and position required.
3-4 months sounds about the right sort of time frame to set out a training plan to achieve it.

Emtbs really aren't a great choice for proper endurance distance riding.
Battery range is too low and they're heavy.
Achieving 100miles two consecutive days on a roadbike with a little preparation shouldn't be all that difficult for a fairly fit cyclist.

You don't actually have to sit down any more on an emtb than an ordinary bike at all.
it's just a choice.

I don’t have a normal road bike though...

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Regarding your saddle, it doesn't really matter if it's good quality if it doesn't fit you correctly.

How long have you been riding for?

Nailz

Apr 11, 2019
Frankfurt, Germany
Regarding your saddle, it doesn't really matter if it's good quality if it doesn't fit you correctly.

How long have you been riding for?

I’ve ridden for most of my life. But the last couple of years have just been commuting on a touring style bike. I kept the saddle from that bike as it has good padding around the bony bits of my ass and a cut away down the middle.

I tried the saddle that came with my giant and after 8km it was killing me. I brought my old saddle along and changed them out.

But the pain then was from soreness from rubbing.

I’m not an experienced MTBer I’m a total noob by any means so all advice is welcome.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I’ve ridden for most of my life. But the last couple of years have just been commuting on a touring style bike. I kept the saddle from that bike as it has good padding around the bony bits of my ass and a cut away down the middle.

I tried the saddle that came with my giant and after 8km it was killing me. I brought my old saddle along and changed them out.

I’m not an experienced MTBer I’m a total noob by any means so all advice is welcome.

I'm a total noob too ;)

The saddle discomfort is my main problem at the moment, after three hours or so it gets really uncomfortable, I've just bought a Fabric scoop saddle but haven't tried it yet as my bike is currently back at bike shop :(

Nailz

Apr 11, 2019
Frankfurt, Germany
I'm a total noob too ;)

The saddle discomfort is my main problem at the moment, after three hours or so it gets really uncomfortable, I've just bought a Fabric scoop saddle but haven't tried it yet as my bike is currently back at bike shop :(

I am going to invest in some top quality shorts and hope that makes things a little better. But 50km was so painful that it took most of the fun out of the last 30

pallie

Dec 19, 2018
netherlands
The saddle on my Canyon is really nice. I'm also always wearing bib shorts. Buy a good pair. Rapha did the job for me after many cheaper bib shorts.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
Saddles are highly individual and it can take a lot of trial and error to find one that suits you. A good bike shop will measure the width of your sit bones and make recommendations. If your problem is going numb, you need a cutaway to stop pressure on nerves. Even with a good fitting saddle you need to build up time on it gradually. Decent cycle shorts (no underpants!) will also help and some swear by bib style. EMTBs come into their own in hilly terrain, but on the flat many cyclists can maintain a higher speed than the limit of 25k of EMTBs. Finally, the more upright position of EMTBs puts more pressure on your ass. As well as for mountain biking, I use an EMTB for touring, where it really helps carrying luggage to have the assistance, but I would often have to recharge during the day and would be unlikely to do much more than 80k. However, enjoyment, rather than distance is my goal!

eabmex

Patreon
Jun 8, 2018
Guadalajara, Mexico
When you purchase a saddle it is very important to measure your sitbone distance, recently I bought a new Sq-lab 611 active saddle (150 for my 130mm sitbone distance) and the difference in comfort is just amazing! I do also wear bib and regular padded liners.

Nailz

Apr 11, 2019
Frankfurt, Germany
Saddles are highly individual and it can take a lot of trial and error to find one that suits you. A good bike shop will measure the width of your sit bones and make recommendations. If your problem is going numb, you need a cutaway to stop pressure on nerves. Even with a good fitting saddle you need to build up time on it gradually. Decent cycle shorts (no underpants!) will also help and some swear by bib style. EMTBs come into their own in hilly terrain, but on the flat many cyclists can maintain a higher speed than the limit of 25k of EMTBs. Finally, the more upright position of EMTBs puts more pressure on your ass. As well as for mountain biking, I use an EMTB for touring, where it really helps carrying luggage to have the assistance, but I would often have to recharge during the day and would be unlikely to do much more than 80k. However, enjoyment, rather than distance is my goal!

Yea I like the last part you said. I’m not really going for any distance records in general, just a couple of one off long adventure trips.

If I can get comfortable on the bike for a 3 hour period that will cover 95% of my total bike riding time

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Are bib shorts much better than normal ones?
honestly?
No. The bib straps just help the shorts stay in place far better.
A chamois that suits you and your body shape and shorts that fit well are way more important than whether the shorts have a bib or not.
The bib straps are designed to keep the shorts in place when you are wearing full lycra but can often be rather pointless if you wear baggies on top with a waist band/belt restricting the stretch of the bib portion.
I'm afraid it's a case of trial and error finding which shorts suit and fit you best though.
Much like saddles a random recommendation of £260 Rapha bib shorts being the most comfortable garment ever worn isn't actually very helpful.

TBF if you're quite new to mountainbiking you maybe just don't have a broken in arse yet so maybe just give it time ;)

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
honestly?
A chamois that suits you and your body shape and shorts that fit well are way more important than whether the shorts have a bib or not.
The bib straps are designed to keep the shorts in place when you are wearing full lycra but can often be rather pointless if you wear baggies on top with a waist band/belt restricting the stretch of the bib portion.
I'm afraid it's a case of trial and error finding which shorts suit and fit you best though.
Much like saddles a random recommendation of £260 Rapha bib shorts being the most comfortable garment ever worn isn't actually very helpful.

TBF if you're quite new to mountainbiking you maybe just don't have a broken in arse yet so maybe just give it time ;)

Well I'm new to biking generally really, I'm hoping me arse will toughen up a bit :)

As for kit, there's far too much choice! I'm looking at some body armour, well I was but I've given up for now... :rolleyes:

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
I had both the sore behind and tingly fingers after the first couple of rides on my Levo, and I put it down to a combination of a too hard and flat saddle, bars too low and grips too thin. Changed to a Fabric Scoop Radius, Deity 38mm risers and ODI Rogues (33mm) - no pain at all

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
As for kit, there's far too much choice! I'm looking at some body armour, well I was but I've given up for now... :rolleyes:
Choice is a good thing.
body armour you can at least try on in a shop.
go for knee armour that's comfortable but doesn't budge pulling at it/twisting it.
Bear in mind biceps/forearms calves/thighs pump up when downhilling so a little give/stretch is required but only a little.
good fasteners/grippers are important too
Hard shell is best for rock/sharp terrain whereas soft shell/D30 etc. will be fine for loam/softer conditions.
if you live in a warm climate breathability will be of benefit too.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
much the same as above. Higher rise handle bar, much fatter grips and some hours adjusting the cockpit of the bike (width, bar rotation etc) and I have completely eliminated hand sorenss and numb pinkies.

My saddle is still not great but I've only done one long ride on it where I found that out. Most 2 hour rides I'm out of the saddle a bit. However thinking of one of the EMTB specific saddles for climbing assistance.

Also I need my chamois and gloves to be comfortable.

Gordon

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
I kept the saddle from that bike as it has good padding around the bony bits of my ass and a cut away down the middle.....

Park your old bike beside the full e with the cranks next to each other and compare seat possition, bars etc - VERY different ergonomics ( I can say this with confidence because my full e has WEIRD ergonomics - short, steep, and the seat is too far back imho)

If you just intend to do touring style riding, try to replicate your touring bikes ergos - slide the seat forward, fit an unfashionably long stem etc.

If you've discovered the joy of mtb riding and want to enjoy 100 km mtb rides, you have to decide between comfort and performance. I've sacrificed performance and fitted higher bars (35 mm rise, 780 mm wide) , a slightly longer stem, and I run too much rebound on my rear shock. All these things are easy to reverse if I decide on going for an aggressive ride - drop the stem , swing the bars back a bit, etc.

Re the hand numbness - you may need to reconsider the tyre choice - those vibrations become tiresome ( sorry) - the stock recons aren's as bad as real mtb rubber, but you will notice them on longer rides

Nailz

Apr 11, 2019
Frankfurt, Germany
honestly?

Let’s just hope I can break in my ass before my bike breaks me in lol

Nailz

Apr 11, 2019
Frankfurt, Germany
Park your old bike beside the full e with the cranks next to each other and compare seat possition, bars etc - VERY different ergonomics ( I can say this with confidence because my full e has WEIRD ergonomics - short, steep, and the seat is too far back imho)

If you just intend to do touring style riding, try to replicate your touring bikes ergos - slide the seat forward, fit an unfashionably long stem etc.

If you've discovered the joy of mtb riding and want to enjoy 100 km mtb rides, you have to decide between comfort and performance. I've sacrificed performance and fitted higher bars (35 mm rise, 780 mm wide) , a slightly longer stem, and I run too much rebound on my rear shock. All these things are easy to reverse if I decide on going for an aggressive ride - drop the stem , swing the bars back a bit, etc.

Re the hand numbness - you may need to reconsider the tyre choice - those vibrations become tiresome ( sorry) - the stock recons aren's as bad as real mtb rubber, but you will notice them on longer rides

I never even thought of the impact of the tyres to be honest. I guess my 50 km ride was about 60% paved roads.

If that is the case, I’ll never get up to 100k on them.... my back and shoulders feel ok on the rides so I hadn’t thought about my position.

I think unfortunately the seat is as far forward as it will go but I can tilt it back slightly to hopefully take a little more weight off of my hands

Thanks for your input!

Nailz

Apr 11, 2019
Frankfurt, Germany
much the same as above. Higher rise handle bar, much fatter grips and some hours adjusting the cockpit of the bike (width, bar rotation etc) and I have completely eliminated hand sorenss and numb pinkies.

My saddle is still not great but I've only done one long ride on it where I found that out. Most 2 hour rides I'm out of the saddle a bit. However thinking of one of the EMTB specific saddles for climbing assistance.

Also I need my chamois and gloves to be comfortable.

Gordon

Thanks dude. I ordered new grips today and will tinker with my saddle too!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles