Bosch Gen 4 Error Code 550

Philpug

Jun 14, 2020
Reno NV USA
Moderator Note : Two threads on the same subject were merged into this thread, so some posts may seem out of order when reading it.

Which saiy "Improper Load" Any have an idea what this Improper Load could be?

Last edited by a moderator:

Davidwylie

Feb 7, 2020
Leicestershire
Hi,
Anyone had error code 550 on their Bosch gen 4?

"550 An improper load was detected. Remove load. Restart the system. " Tried the resetting and still coming back soon as I turn on, anyone any information on this or any idea what the cause is.

Update on this ... after a week in the shop and Bosch requesting error reports, a new motor is on it way to the shop to replace my motor. Still no idea what the cause was.

Last edited:

Davidwylie

Feb 7, 2020
Leicestershire
Hi,
Anyone had error code 550 on their Bosch gen 4?

"550 An improper load was detected. Remove load. Restart the system. " Tried the resetting and still coming back soon as I turn on, anyone any information on this or any idea what the cause is.

Update on this ... after a week in the shop and Bosch requesting error reports, a new motor is on it way to the shop to replace my motor. Still no idea what the cause was.

Davidwylie

Feb 7, 2020
Leicestershire
Which saiy "Improper Load" Any have an idea what this Improper Load could be?

Had this issues last week ... See my post

Philpug

Jun 14, 2020
Reno NV USA
Had this issues last week ... See my post
Thanks, I have not had the problem since a week after I posted this. It jsut went away.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
My bike (2020 orbea wild fs) started throwing this error this morning, It doesnt seem to actually affect anything the motor seems to give full assistance still. I noticed that the headlight symbol on the kiox keeps flickering on and off, so I presume its related to the headlights circuit, but my bike doesn have any headlights wired up.

I've had a look at all the connectors that go into the motor, there are only 3 sets of connectors there, the otehr sockets on the motor are blanked off with the little blanking plugs. ANyway - I disconnected all electrical connections and removed the blanking plugs, they all looked clean and dry, but I sprayed them with contact cleaner all the same, also spray the charging socket, the battery terminals, the plug on the bike that the battery plugs into and the connectors on the back of the kiox and the kiox holder. They all looked fine though.

But no joy - still get an error 550 when I turn the bike on, which goes away when you press ok, and then will randomly reappear at various points, but like I say doesnt affect the ride.

I'm assuming there's some moisture somehwere there shouldnt be, but will keep riding it until it gets worse.

Anyone got any more ideas?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
OK to add more detail to this, it does throw the error but let the motor keep on running, but what it doesn't tell you is that it stops the power going to the kiox, which has its own battery so it happily keeps working for a while until it runs out of battery and switches off leaving you stranded. Annoyingly there appears to be no way of knowing the battery level of the kiox or whether it's charging or not.

Anyway the frequency of the errors was reducing throughout the ride, so hopefully it's a bit of moisture causing a short circuit in the lighting connection.

It's currently sat in the garage with all the blanking plugs and wires removed with a fan heater blowing on it.

Last edited:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Still doing it, so it's booked into the shop next weekend, I reckon it'll need a new motor. My guess is some water has got in some how.

Not impressed.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Dropped the bike off at the shop today, he plugged it into the computer while I was there, loads of fault codes were shown on the computer, various short circuit codes in the motor, some fault codes relating to the battery.

Who knows what the problem is, I suspect it'll need a new motor.

alexvedag

Feb 13, 2021
Poltava
Привет. Я тоже столкнулся с этой проблемой после езды под дождем. Прошла уже неделя, а проблема не исчезла, хотя все соединения сухие. Как закончилась твоя история?

IMG_20210215_075619.jpg

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Привет. Я тоже столкнулся с этой проблемой после езды под дождем. Прошла уже неделя, а проблема не исчезла, хотя все соединения сухие. Как закончилась твоя история?

View attachment 53068
My bike is still in the shop, I think they will fit a new motor, but don't know for certain yet

alexvedag

Feb 13, 2021
Poltava
Для меня это не очень хорошая новость, так как двигатель у меня работает не смотря на эту ошибку.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Для меня это не очень хорошая новость, так как двигатель у меня работает не смотря на эту ошибку.
My motor was also still working but at the same time giving the error.

alexvedag

Feb 13, 2021
Poltava
Подумал, что может ошибка из-за того, что kiox перестал заряжаться

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
The kiox stopped charging but the motor still worked for as long as the kiox had a charge. I suspect if you take your bike to the bosch dealer they will replace the motor.

alexvedag

Feb 13, 2021
Poltava
[QUOTE = "Mteam, сообщение: 267453, участник: 11387"]
Все еще жду нового мотора из Германии.
[/ЦИТИРОВАТЬ]
Причина ошибки 550 выяснилась, внутри мотора была вода, что и вызвала эту ошибку. Мастера разобрали мотор извлекли всю влагу и починили плату управления. Я хочу сказать, что я разочарован тем, что мотор плохо защищён от воды. Другие пользователи говорили, что катались в горах, переезжали горные реки с погружением в воду и у них всё нормально, а я поездил всего лишь под дождь и после этого столкнулся с данной проблемой. Так что делайте выводы.

Added by Moderator : The cause of error 550 was found out, there was water inside the motor, which caused this error. The craftsmen disassembled the motor, removed all moisture and repaired the control board. I want to say that I am disappointed that the motor is poorly protected from water. Other users said that they rode in the mountains, crossed mountain rivers with immersion in water and everything is fine with them, but I only traveled in the rain and after that I encountered this problem. So draw your own conclusions.

IMG_20210225_111810_829.jpg

IMG_20210225_111814_666.jpg

IMG_20210225_111819_160.jpg

IMG_20210225_111822_503.jpg

IMG_20210225_111826_586.jpg

IMG_20210225_111830_136.jpg

IMG_20210225_111833_258.jpg

IMG_20210225_111837_683.jpg

IMG_20210225_111840_734.jpg

IMG_20210225_111843_960.jpg

IMG_20210225_111847_104.jpg

IMG_20210225_111858_586.jpg

IMG_20210225_111901_407.jpg

IMG_20210225_111903_988.jpg

IMG_20210225_111907_230.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
excellent info Alex! Thanks for that.

I had assumed that it was water in the motor that was causing this, but its good to have it confirmed. I'm still waiting for my new motor to arrive from bosch.

It is strange, I havent submerged my motor at all , but it has been used in the rain and through puddles the same as lots of people do who have no issues.

I wonder how the water is getting inside the motor casing? and can I do anything to reduce the likelyhood of water getting in?

alexvedag

Feb 13, 2021
Poltava
[QUOTE = "Mteam, сообщение: 270019, участник: 11387"]
отличная инфа Алекс! Спасибо за это.

Я предположил, что причиной этого была вода в двигателе, но хорошо, что это подтвердилось. Я все еще жду, когда приедет мой новый мотор от bosch.

Странно, я вообще не погружал свой мотор в воду, но он использовался под дождем и по лужам, как и многие люди, у которых нет проблем.

Интересно, как вода попадает внутрь кожуха мотора? и могу ли я сделать что-нибудь, чтобы уменьшить вероятность попадания воды?
[/ЦИТИРОВАТЬ]

alexvedag

Feb 13, 2021
Poltava

Я предположил, что причиной этого была вода в двигателе, но хорошо, что это подтвердилось. Я все еще жду, когда приедет мой новый мотор от bosch.

Странно, я вообще не погружал свой мотор в воду, но он использовался под дождем и по лужам, как и многие люди, у которых нет проблем.

Интересно, как вода попадает внутрь кожуха мотора? и могу ли я сделать что-нибудь, чтобы уменьшить вероятность попадания воды?
[/ЦИТИРОВАТЬ]

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
Alexvedag: You have valuable information, but please use googletranslator. Noone understands your messages. This is international forum.

Last edited:

alexvedag

Feb 13, 2021
Poltava
[QUOTE = "Хамина, сообщение: 270030, участник: 8541"]
Alexvedag: У вас есть ценная информация, но используйте Googletranslator. Никто не понимает ваших сообщений. Это международный форум.
[/ЦИТИРОВАТЬ]
оk

alexvedag

Feb 13, 2021
Poltava

[/ЦИТИРОВАТЬ]
I spoke with the master to seal the engine with a sealant before assembling the engine, this will not help 100%, but it will still be better protected

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
It does beg the usual motor failure question....

Did you jet wash it ? That's pretty damp in there.

no , just a hosepipe with a squirty nozzle set on the lowest/sprinkle setting for me.

It was never submerged, just ridden the the rain, and wet, through puddles etc, but nowhere near the depth where the motor itself would touch the water.

All the electrical connectors appear well sealed, and you assume where the case halves are joined together are well sealed, so that only leaves the axle as an obvious place where water could get inside.

The motor needs a little bilge pump inside to pump out any water that collects. Or it needs to be designed so that it can get wet without causing a problem, maybe encase all the electronics in resin or something. I see alex has coated his circuit board in some blue stuff, I presume that is some kind of water proofer?

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I thought the blue stuff was probably heat transfer paste ?

Unlucky then guys. The Gen4 to all accounts generally seems well sealed, I guess that doesn't mean there can't be days when there's an assembly error though.

I think all the motors could do with some form of membrane moisture/humidity removal mechanism.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles