203mm rotor fitment

Tyjay

Apr 27, 2020
Bedlington
Hi all first post and all that

I upgraded my kenevo comp upto 203mm rotors as they were £10 cheaper than 200mm plus they were sold out of the 200mm

Anyhoo I bought the 203mm adapters (lifeline) but had real trouble fitting them, so just put a load of washers on the 20mm originals and left it
So today thought I’d haveanother go at it

Took some pics one is with the 203mm adaptor installed ignore the long bolts don’t have any smaller ones till tomorrow
The problem I’m having is second pic the rotor only goes half way into the pads/Caliper there’s quite a gap
On the previous mount they reached the outer edge so I won’t get uneven ware on pads (new ones on the way)
Third pic is of the rear brake with the washers and original mount (front was the samej

Was looking at shimano SM-MA-F203P/PM adapter will that be a better fit ie making the rotors futher into the Caliper
As in pic 1 I can’t make the Caliper any closer to the mount
Any help, info or what Iv done wrong? Is mucho appreciated

Thanks

79132716-B417-4F5B-819F-F39C29C7FF71.jpeg

BFB7E00A-890F-4C47-9AFB-D8894A7524E9.jpeg

C5AE242B-DCD4-4DB6-8261-0DA97848D3A1.jpeg

Tyjay

Apr 27, 2020
Bedlington
I have Guide RE's with 203mm rotors, and just have the one washer added under the mount at the back, on the front I have the adapter.

Thanks that looks like the shimano one that I’m looking at
Also yours looks like the rotor goes in fully where mine doesn’t

Do you have pic of the front brake
Thanks for reply

View attachment 30753

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Here you go - the washer is at the bottom of the spacers on the front, you can do it either way though I believe it is generally done at the bottom of the spacer stack. I have a different mount to you though.

Screenshot 2020-05-09 at 20.03.30.png

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Oddly I think you have the same mounts as me but at different ends of the bike, sure you didn't swap em around by accident?

Tyjay

Apr 27, 2020
Bedlington
Thanks that’s exactly the same as I had my front setup
Although I had to put 3 extra washers on topto mount it higher up

Here you go - the washer is at the bottom of the spacers on the front, you can do it either way though I believe it is generally done at the bottom of the spacer stack. I have a different mount to you though.

View attachment 30754

Tyjay

Apr 27, 2020
Bedlington
Haha yes I had the same mounts on the front and back, only showed the back to show how many spacers were needed to make it fit correct haven’t done back yet
Will change to the 203 if I can make it work it’s so far off atm
I haven’t done the back yet

Oddly I think you have the same mounts as me but at different ends of the bike, sure you didn't swap em around by accident?

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
The adapters for 200mm rotors will work with 203mm rotors(mine do) as the rotor is only 1.5mm bigger in radius. Try Hopetech for adapters you shouldn't need any washers anywhere other than under the bolt head. If you need to pack it with a washer its the wrong or badly made part. Would you do the same with the brakes on your car?

Tyjay

Apr 27, 2020
Bedlington
I used the original adapters that came with the 200mm rotors
And thought a 1.5mm washer would be enough but was miles out (it shouldn’t be)
The rear is the original adapter with washers added to make it fit
I’ll take a look at Hope

The adapters for 200mm rotors will work with 203mm rotors(mine do) as the rotor is only 1.5mm bigger in radius. Try Hopetech for adapters you shouldn't need any washers anywhere other than under the bolt head. If you need to pack it with a washer its the wrong or badly made part. Would you do the same with the brakes on your car?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
How well they work depends on the brake and disc combo, for me going from a 200 Sram to a 203 Shimano with Guide RE's I had to use a 1mm washer to avoid it causing problems. Not all brake discs are actually the diameter they say they are, and even 1/2 a mm here and there can make a difference.

Having said that I cant see why just putting a 1mm washer on your current adapts won't solve the problem

Hope discs won't work with Guide RE's as the part that holds the inner and out part of the discs together hits the Sram calliper. They do do 200mm and 203mm adapters though

Tyjay

Apr 27, 2020
Bedlington
Thanks that’s how it should be mounted
I think I see what’s happening on mine
On your mounts the lower mount is smaller than the top mount
On the Yari both mounts are the same size meaning the Caliper is pushed a bit further away on the bottom (if that makes sense)

Which calliper is that

Tyjay

Apr 27, 2020
Bedlington
Thanks again
I never had a problem with the hope discs hitting the Caliper tbh
I’ll take a look at hope adapters

How well they work depends on the brake and disc combo, for me going from a 200 Sram to a 203 Shimano with Guide RE's I had to use a 1mm washer to avoid it causing problems. Not all brake discs are actually the diameter they say they are, and even 1/2 a mm here and there can make a difference.

Having said that I cant see why just putting a 1mm washer on your current adapts won't solve the problem

Hope discs won't work with Guide RE's as the part that holds the inner and out part of the discs together hits the Sram calliper. They do do 200mm and 203mm adapters though
I

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Thanks again
I never had a problem with the hope discs hitting the Caliper tbh
I’ll take a look at hope adapters

I
With Guide RE's? If fitted correctly the rivet or whatever it is they use will rub against the body of the calliper - people have done it but filed off a bit of the caliper body. It doesn't stop the disc rotating, but you hear a soft clicking sound of it hitting the calliper when it goes around.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Thanks that’s how it should be mounted
I think I see what’s happening on mine
On your mounts the lower mount is smaller than the top mount
On the Yari both mounts are the same size meaning the Caliper is pushed a bit further away on the bottom (if that makes sense)

Which calliper is that
No idea, my bike had a full custom respray and the LBS did the brake swap when they put it back together.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
you sure that's not hitting? Interesting if you got it to work without moving the calliper, I know a few people who run the Hopes with the Sram and they have all had to mod the calliper, its a pretty well known problem.

Screenshot 2020-05-09 at 21.38.10.png

Tyjay

Apr 27, 2020
Bedlington
Nope just been out and tested no hitting what so ever

But.... as the Caliper doesn’t reach the end of the rotor the brakes squeal and not massive stopping power
Deffo something to do with the adapter need to look at it again
It’s hurting me head now haha

you sure that's not hitting? Interesting if you got it to work without moving the calliper, I know a few people who run the Hopes with the Sram and they have all had to mod the calliper, its a pretty well known problem.

View attachment 30765

Tyjay

Apr 27, 2020
Bedlington
Quick update removed the pads, to have a look at and there only being half used see pic you can see the arc where it’s goes to
The adapters I’m using isnt right hence the issues I’m having
Need to find the correct adapter for 180mm to 203mm
Forks are direct mount for 180 rotors

0D5164CB-F2EC-4379-AFD7-0288E21864A5.jpeg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Nope just been out and tested no hitting what so ever

But.... as the Caliper doesn’t reach the end of the rotor the brakes squeal and not massive stopping power
Deffo something to do with the adapter need to look at it again
It’s hurting me head now haha
Yeah check its right - I tried fit Hope rotors a few years back, and didnt bother googling if matching them up with sram brakes was an issue, sure enough I got them positioned right and they hit the calliper, and a bit of research and some calls informed me of the issue, but I wasnt willing to modify the calliper. Shame as they looked nice!

Screenshot 2020-05-09 at 21.43.16.png

Last edited:

Ripping g

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 8, 2019
West yorkshire

View attachment 30765
No damage that must be muck all i did was put another washer under other than that its all factory with new pads run like this for 100/150 miles then fitted the calipers to match

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I think the adapter you have is for 160 (160mm direct mount) to 203. I researched these a week or two ago. I have ordered a 203 rotor. Currently I have a 180mm rotor mounted directly - so I needed a 180 - 203 adapter. I found it pretty frustrating - many sellers don't say this, they just advertise it as a 203mm adapter. If you're going from 180 to 203mm I think you need this (same as picture below). If you look in the link they describe is as "Frame/Fork Mount: 74mm Post Mount (180mm native)". I have an all shimano setup.
rotor adapter.jpg

Last edited:

Tyjay

Apr 27, 2020
Bedlington
Yeah that’s what I ordered last night of eBay for £4
The mounts on the kenevo are direct mount for 180mm rotors
With 20mm adapters to make iit 200mm
The ones I bought pushed the callipers out of line hence my problems
I’ll order a second if the one from eBay works properly for the rear
Have a new rear brake coming as the one on doesn’t work as apparently the bleed screws are made from cheese
And is totally stripped but that’s a whole new story haha

I think the adapter you have is for 160 (160mm direct mount) to 203. I researched these a week or two ago. I have ordered a 203 rotor. Currently I have a 180mm rotor mounted directly - so I needed a 180 - 203 adapter. I found it pretty frustrating - many sellers don't say this, they just advertise it as a 203mm adapter. If you're going from 180 to 203mm I think you need this (same as picture below). If you look in the link they describe is as "Frame/Fork Mount: 74mm Post Mount (180mm native)". Mine are all shimano.
View attachment 30805

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Yes, they are listed as front because not long ago most frames did not use direct mount, only the forks did. Now most new frames use direct mount. I think the offset mount is 160-203. Like you, I have a merida - 180mm direct mount. This means if you use 180mm rotors, you don't need any adapters. The adapter you have above is 180 - 203mm.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles