• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Volspeed 3 or 4, Speedbox 3 on 2022 bosch ebikes?

downtownrider

Dec 2, 2021
Australia
Hi All, I have just received my first ever bosch ebike ( focus jarifa 2022)
I am on the same both of those thinking 25km restriction is nonsense. Thus, I will like to derestrict my ebike.
I have read a couple of options on the forum but sincerely eager to hear recent user reviews from bosh powered ebike 2021-2022
What tuning device are you using and why? Have you ever experienced error code? What is your average speed? Have you ever used more than 50km/h?
I am not comfortable buying the new Volspeed as it limits the speed to 45km/h, whereas you could set your desired limit on V3 and speedbox.
Please share your opinions.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
I use this on bosch gen2. 0 errors in about 2.5 years on 10k kms. I can even get updates for the bike without any problem. My bikeshop says with the gen 4 ismts the same

Speed is unlimited,you go as fast as your legs can handle and also largely depends on the mode. In eco there is no way in hell I can get my 26 kg bike above 45 km/h on the flats
Average speed kinda depends on where I'm going and what I'm riding. Xc routes mostly around 30km/h, trails are mostly slower. If I commute on long pads I mostly ride 45-50 km/h.
If I want to go faster then 50 at a constant speed I would need a bigger front sprocket (18t -> 21 or 22 t)

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Unfortunately gen 4s are much more sensitive than gen 2s.
I ran a speed box v3 for 1000 miles on my gen 4 before it inevitably threw a code, as did my mates.
The volspeed is currently the most reliable, but that has the caveat that you have to set a realistic speed limit.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles