US Ebike proposed regulations open for comment until early June 2020

Grumpy Hiker

May 6, 2020
Northern California, USA
Copying a post I made elsewhere yesterday, but highly relevant to this group. It would be ideal if all four federal agencies receive comments from everyone here. (I made the same comment to all of them.) They each manage different lands, roads, and trails, but they are part of the same federal department and have said they seek to be consistent in all four rules.

If you want to be able to ride an Ebike on public lands in the U.S., please write or post a comment to be heard within the next month! Four major regulations have been proposed which, as written, would give the authority to ban Ebikes on federal lands to local officials with management responsibilities. State and local rules tend to follow the federal rules. In federal regulations, the number of comments posted on any issue really matters. There are already many comments posted by opponents of Ebikes, so it is important for this community to speak up, be heard, and to spread the word. US Dept of the Interior Secretary Order 3376 ( https://on.doi.gov/3c7dS5j ) was intended to provide rules to advance Ebike access to public lands. Unfortunately the regulatory language that has been proposed allows continued discrimination against Ebikes, and once these regulations are final they will be very difficult to change. My own view is that wherever other bicycles are allowed, Ebikes should be allowed too. But that is not what the proposed rules say. The four agencies that need to hear from you are the National Park Service ( Regulations.gov ) , the Bureau of Land Management ( Regulations.gov ) , the Bureau of Reclamation ( Regulations.gov ) , and the Fish and Wildlife Service ( Regulations.gov ). Commenting is easy -- go use these links, hit the comment button, and be heard today.

Bmwgsboy

Aug 26, 2019
USA
Ebikes are the future, Especially in the country where healthcare iEspecially in the country or healthcare seems to be on everybody’s mind why would you allow a tool that makes people wanna go out and have fun and actually ride and I even realize they’re exercising. The government should be encouraging people to get on pedal assist device not discourage them the problem is the Puritans whatever you want to call them want these federal lands and trails to themselves.

HinduKush

Jun 7, 2020
Colorado, USA
I've submitted comments to the BLM and Dept of Agriculture (Forest Service). My understanding that the Dept of Interior (Parks Service) already allows Class I ebikes on the same trails as acoustic bikes. I think as a group we need to differentiate between Class I ebikes (pedal assist with speed limits) and Class II and III. We'll be in for rough sailing against some of the Luddite acoustic mountain bike groups if we want to add what are essentially battery powered motorcycles to their downhill trails. Frankly, I don't want them on mtn bike trails either. Maybe allow throttle assist bikes with speed limiters on trails for those with handicapped placards only. They are public lands and those with handicaps should be allowed access to them. Just a thought. I love RichT101's comment about our collective common sense. I think we've shown over the past few weeks that reason has died and been buried in the good old US of A. I'm told "People for Bikes" is a good advocacy group for ebikers. Haven't had a chance to check out their website yet.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles