To clip or not to clip

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
There is no right or wrong its totally a personal preference so i would definitely stick with what you know (y)
Enjoy the new steed.
It has been indisputably proven that it is more difficult to land a cashroll 360 with double barspin while clipped

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
One comedy fall too many, accompanied by 8 mucky teeth of the chainring piercing my calf, finally persuaded me to switch to flats.
Now I consider that my 18-month excursion into SPDs was part of my biking education. I still have a set (and th e shoes of course!) and use them from time to time, as long as I don't plan on going off-road.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
One comedy fall too many, accompanied by 8 mucky teeth of the chainring piercing my calf, finally persuaded me to switch to flats.
Now I consider that my 18-month excursion into SPDs was part of my biking education. I still have a set (and th e shoes of course!) and use them from time to time, as long as I don't plan on going off-road.
SPDs with collision detection plus built in air bags required.:LOL:. My bike sometimes goes where I prefer not to follow so like to be able to bail!!
On a more serious note...............one issue that needs to be taken into account is that MTB provides much less time or advance notice than road riding when things so wrong..........and the chances of things going wrong are far greater. I tried clipless out of curiosity. I hated the shoes/clogs both on the bike and even more so off it, and found my foot position on the pedal far too far forward especially on descents.......if I pushed my heel down it dragged on the trail! I much prefer my 5:10s and a good pinned pedal ( in my case Spank Spoon 110s).

beanzz

Feb 7, 2023
United Kingdom
And now you just have colander shins 😁

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
shin strikes are due to poor technique not because of using flats..........ironically that poor technique can be encouraged by using SPDs!
Rather a sweeping statement ..not all shin strikes are due to poor technique ..on the very rare occasion I've used flats the bastard things have got me pushing up a steep techy climb ..my shins are pin hole free ..and thankfully that's the way they will stay ..

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Rather a sweeping statement ..not all shin strikes are due to poor technique ..on the very rare occasion I've used flats the bastard things have got me pushing up a steep techy climb ..my shins are pin hole free ..and thankfully that's the way they will stay ..
.............pushing the bike rather than riding?? If so I totally agree that some pinned pedals are lethal when you are walking/pushing the bike or even just walking past it!
I found the worst pedals for that were those with pins that have exposed threads..like DMR v12s for example. Pinned pedals where the pins do not have exposed threads are far less vicious.....e.g DMR Vaults, Spank Spoon etc.

I also use pedal covers when the bike is being stored..........and hopefully remeber to take them off before I ride.....or they have to go in my pocket:rolleyes:

beanzz

Feb 7, 2023
United Kingdom
shin strikes are due to poor technique not because of using flats..........ironically that poor technique can be encouraged by using SPDs!
Ehhhhh I disagree, accidents can and will. Maybe there will be a root you missed which jolts you unexpectedly or you place your foot a bit quick but sometimes your can just slip off

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Ehhhhh I disagree, accidents can and will. Maybe there will be a root you missed which jolts you unexpectedly or you place your foot a bit quick but sometimes your can just slip off
well its never happened to me...........there is no way for my 5:10s to slip on a pedal.....the only way to move it is to lift it off the pedal.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
And now you just have colander shins 😁
I can't deny that I have had one or two shin strikes, but usually when standing astride the bike when stationary and then cocking up something. Most of my shin damage came from brambles. I bought some knee & shin guards and always wear them now, but the brambles find the gap between socks and guards. I hate 'effin brambles. I was following a rider down a tight, steep and relatively unused trail and he dislodged a 1/2" thick monster (not the biggest I have seen). The bloody thing swung into my mouth. I managed to stop before it gave me a wide smile. Fortunately, the guy following me managed to stop in time and avoided nudging me into a bigger grin than usual.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
...........there is no way for my 5:10s to slip on a pedal.....the only way to move it is to lift it off the pedal.
First ride out on flats after my 18 months on SPDs, I tried to unclip by twisting my heel outwards (normal I think). The foot would not twist of course because I had the aforementioned 510s on flat pedals (Kona Wah Wah). I promptly did a comedy fall into a Xmas tree, all in front of a student group of about a dozen riders. I had just ridden slowly through them all as they shuffled back and forth to avoid me, making my navigation even harder. I didn't make that mistake again.

Note: Previous to SPDs, I used trainers on those metal skeleton pedals that might be called "Bear Traps". So my first experience of the unmatched grip combo that is 510s and flats was that very day.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I can't deny that I have had one or two shin strikes, but usually when standing astride the bike when stationary and then cocking up something. Most of my shin damage came from brambles. I bought some knee & shin guards and always wear them now, but the brambles find the gap between socks and guards. I hate 'effin brambles. I was following a rider down a tight, steep and relatively unused trail and he dislodged a 1/2" thick monster (not the biggest I have seen). The bloody thing swung into my mouth. I managed to stop before it gave me a wide smile. Fortunately, the guy following me managed to stop in time and avoided nudging me into a bigger grin than usual.
I always wear ski socks ie long enough to cover the calf and stay up but not as long as football socks. I wear them pushed down so act as a sort of buffer around my ankles......................then if we are going into traisl with likely brambles I pull them up. They are thick enough to provide reasonable protection from stingers and brambles but not foolproof!

Wilonrs

Jun 9, 2022
Krakow, Poland
You should be riding both. Clips are way better on gnarly stuff - you feet stay secure and always in the same place, but being cliped can lead to developing bad habits and poor technice. Flats are better on slipper (easier to dab) and let you develop propper technique. I ride clips (mullets, which have way better platform than all spd’s) most of the year, but for winter I switch to flats.

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Easy to tell flat riders from clip riders. Hard-core flat riders are the ones with permanent shin scars. Even the very best riders occasionally get bounced off their pedals if hits are big enough

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
Yesterday i changed Horizon CL clipless to my Levo. I have had Horizon flats for years now.
Interesting to see how it goes.
Flats are my thing but resently i have noticed that rocky and rooty section causes feets popping off on flats sometimes.
I decided to try clipless, again. I have used clipless a lot years ago.

Must say that Horizon CL and Leatt shoes are pretty poor to lock in. Had to use those shims which included to Leatts. And that causes a little float. But you can’t have everything.
Pins are lower position.
Though Leatt has one big positive thing: cleats can be positioned very far back. Shoes positioning is very good. And shoe is very comfy.

And i had to use Dremel that lock in is easier. Pedals mechanism took too much contact to shoe’s sole on backside when cleat is far back. Where i wanted it to be.

IMG_4832.jpeg

Bones

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Flats for me and I always wear football shin pads. It's only on the odd heavy landing that my foot has slipped off and being clipped in would have helped.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
No point clipping in on an ebike.
Why not? Pedaling at high speeds at rock gardens and rooty sections is easier.
With flats feet can pop off sometimes when pedaling=rhythm is gone.
Otherwise i also don't see need for clipless. But i'm gonna test them now.

Last edited:

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Why not? Pedaling at high speeds at rock gardens and rooty sections is easier.
With flats feet can pop off sometimes when pedaling=rhythm is gone.
Otherwise i also don't see need for clipless. But i'm gonna test them now.
You can do all those things with a grippy shoe pedal combo.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Can’t ride flat or clipless peddles anymore but there are advantages and disadvantages to both, especially for me.

Thankfully I found the magnetic peddles which are the best of both peddles for me. Anything other than magnetic peddles is just a foreign feel. I’ve been using the Avery Hustle for the past few years now, and a specific spd shoe can be adjusted to fit these peddles. Pin length, sole pattern and a seasonal MTB shoe are factors for a consistent feel.
I’ve been OTB a number of times and I’ve never stayed connected during those falls/flights. Clearing any debris from the sole or the peddle is as easy as placing your shoe into position. Even the position is slightly adjustable which can be an advantage.

I watched the videos of the Avery Hustle peddles a heard even more terminology that relates to me. I personally can’t understand why more riders don’t use magnetic peddles but I’m surrounded by by different perspectives and peddle types.
Viva la difference. 👍🏻

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
You can do all those things with a grippy shoe pedal combo.
Nope. I have Nukeproof Horizon Flats and Five tens, they are very, very grippy combo. 98% of rides they stick like a glued.
But that 2% when you have massive kickbacks from stones or from big roots while pedalling high speed on flat or uphill; those times i miss clips. Now i decided to do this experiment.

I like flats, i haven’t use clipless for years because i hate them and in my opinion flats are best option.
But it’s good for you always keep your mind open and test things again from time to time. :)

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Nope. I have Nukeproof Horizon Flats and Five tens, they are very, very grippy combo. 98% of rides they stick like a glued.
But that 2% when you have massive kickbacks from stones or from big roots while pedalling high speed on flat or uphill; those times i miss clips. Now i decided to do this experiment.

I like flats, i haven’t use clipless for years because i hate them and in my opinion flats are best option.
But it’s good for you always keep your mind open and test things again from time to time. :)
Well we agree to disagree. I've bent cranks from tagging a root hit so hard but not bounced my foot off the pedal.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Clipped - Pro
Jumps are easy, no 'superman'
Can add power on the upstroke of the pedal
You can bounce the back end more on maneuvering ups and tricky downs

Clipped - Cons
You come off and the bike comes with you. NOBODY has presence of mind to unclip :LOL: If your foot/feet do come off the pedals its because they've been violently ripped off.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Clipped - Pro
Jumps are easy, no 'superman'
Can add power on the upstroke of the pedal
You can bounce the back end more on maneuvering ups and tricky downs

Clipped - Cons
You come off and the bike comes with you. NOBODY has presence of mind to unclip :LOL: If your foot/feet do come off the pedals its because they've been violently ripped off.
I have to dissagree with most of this. Actually the only thing I agree with is you can power the upstroke.

Jumps are not easier clipped once you have the appropriate flat pedal jumping technique. That technique is the correct technique with or without flats. If you get a jump wrong and have to bail mid air clips are more a pain to get rid of the bike.

You should never lift the back end up but pulling directly up on clipless pedals. This is very poor technique. Flat pedal technique should be used. Correct flat pedal technique locks the foot to the pedal and you can lift the back up.
Once experiences and have your clips set up loose enough unclipping becomes subconscious when crashing.
But you can and do have clipped in related crashing that you don't have when on flats.

Here's a jump i did yesterday that shows good flat pedal jumping technique.
Pedals are slightly tilted forward, you then push back against the pedal with your foot and forward with your hands on the handlebars. This locks the feet into the pedals and allows for you to maneuver in the air without feet flying off. That includes lifting the back up.

20230722_110752_014.jpg
20230722_110752_021.jpg

20230722_110752_026.jpg

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
To each his own but for me clips are far quicker to release if you need a quick emergency dab. With clips you can simply slide your foot but with flats you must lift your foot slightly first in order to free the sole of your shoe from the grub screws. This takes only a small amount longer but it's that small amount of time the can make all the difference imo

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
My clipless experiment was today. 17km at the woods was enough to tell me that i really don’t need clipless.
Good flats and good shoes are much better and safer. I can accept that 1-2 times per month my foot might bounce off from pedal while pedalling on the rough stuff. Not on downhills, that has not never happened.
Apparently i’m so used to flats nowdays that clipless feels little unsecure.

But now it’s tested. Again. And i can move on. 😁

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles