• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Tampering identification....

Sgarth42

Oct 13, 2021
York
I agree with all these comments which are valid but we have deviated away from the original point that I think many of us would also agree with. If the EU assit limit were 20mph ( same speed as new road speed limits being imposed in many towns and cities both in UK & EU ) then I dought that many would bother trying to derestrict. Liability to 3rd parties would still be relevant whether on compliant ebikes or non-ebikes

webman

Apr 13, 2022
Sydney
I think there's a distinct difference between riders wanting to get to 32km/h to keep up with non E riders off the trails and people wanting to get to 50km/h and beyond on city streets.... Let alone actual E-motorbikes.

webman

Apr 13, 2022
Sydney
I’d argue that 90% of riders would be OK with 32km/h or 20mph and choose not to derestrict. It doesn’t sound like much but it so often is the difference between keeping up with non-E and getting left behind. You’ll always get a small group that wants to go beyond that. Quite frankly, when I’m going 50km/h and faster it feels a bit Kamikaze!

Tetley

Sep 9, 2020
Bucks UK
My Levo Turbo is derestricted, and find I ride at around 20mph, maybe 22mph, but I find the cadence too high on standard gearing going any faster. If my bike was restricted to 20mph, and knowing what I know now, I doubt I'd bothered derestricting it. 4.5mph extra doesn't sound much on paper, but it makes a huge difference to riding, hitting a brick wall is horrible, a bit like driving a HGV with a speed limiter.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles