SRAM AXS not responding

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Has anyone had an unresponsive AXS GX. It just stopped responding mid-ride.
The battery was fully charged before the ride.
I re-charged it when I got back until the charger light went green but still no response.
It doesn't flash when pressing the derailleur.
I changed the controller battery as well.
I have ordered a new battery but any other ideas ?

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
My remote just died one day, and wouldn’t do anything. No light when pressing the button and wouldn’t connect.
I could still press the pairing button on the derailleur and make it move though.

New remote from SRAM under warranty… but it took about 5 weeks because of supply issues at the time! 🤷🏼‍♂️

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Thanks p3eps
My new battery arrives tomorrow but if not I think the derailleur must be kn****

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Thanks p3eps
My new battery arrives tomorrow but if not I think the derailleur must be kn****
My remote was almost 2 years old, and SRAM still exchanged it under warranty. How old is the derailleur?
Might be worth taking it to a friendly bike shop to see what they think if the battery doesn't resolve.

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
I haven’t as it won’t connect to the app.
Is there a way to try of doing this.

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Yes I did that 1st thing. I think it’s the derailleur or battery as the light on it doesn’t light up.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
it could of course be a faulty Mech or controller but it couls equally be that the mech battery is not making a good contact due to dirt or corrosion on the terminals. Dirt/dust that collects around the area into which the battery fits can stop it fitting properly. Worth checking.

Jay Bird

Aug 22, 2022
Mill Valley, CA
it could of course be a faulty Mech or controller but it couls equally be that the mech battery is not making a good contact due to dirt or corrosion on the terminals. Dirt/dust that collects around the area into which the battery fits can stop it fitting properly. Worth checking.
I’ve seen another thread with similar issue. The battery pins in the mech were not pushing out enough to make battery contact. Sounds like you have no power at all despite charged battery. I would just contact SRAM directly and try for warranty replacement.

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Thanks Jay
Yes that was SRAM’s diagnosis and seems to be the problem.
SRAM says I have to go to the retailer with a warranty claim as they can’t warranty it direct.

I am in that process now.

I think it maybe a known fault which is worrying as it immediately stops gear changes without warning and is very difficult to check or prevent.

SRAM have said it is not repairable or service able.

Jay Bird

Aug 22, 2022
Mill Valley, CA
Thanks Jay
Yes that was SRAM’s diagnosis and seems to be the problem.
SRAM says I have to go to the retailer with a warranty claim as they can’t warranty it direct.

I am in that process now.

I think it maybe a known fault which is worrying as it immediately stops gear changes without warning and is very difficult to check or prevent.

SRAM have said it is not repairable or service able.
In the thread I saw someone took theirs apart and soldered in new pins themselves!

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
I wondered that but it would the warranty out of the window.
I was tempted though as I am away in France with perfect riding conditions ☹️

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
What was outcome? I have only been on GX Transmission for less than 3 months and second one just stopped working like yours tonight. Happened a month or so ago and Sram warrantied thru local bike shop who did the inital install. Bit discouraged by this since second go around with this. I care, clean my bike regularly after every ride and bike sees little water and always stowed in car when transporting to rides so bike not exposed to heavy rain. Back on mech wagon (trusty 10spd Shimano Saint/Zee drivetrain) agin while I wait. Felt like I just did this for two weeks a month ago. So lame for expensive crap. Other than that, it shifts nicely when working, especially while pedaling.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
sorry, I realized it was already written, but a little more kindness wouldn't hurt...
How could you?…perfection is expected at all times 🤦‍♂️ (JK).

Sometimes a new cr2032 battery in the remote makes a poor connection. Duracell batteries are bad for this. There’s an extremely thin film or coating over the battery that could prevent a good contact. Panasonic batteries don’t seem to have this issue.

Simply rub or lightly sand the surface of the Duracell battery.
Now I’m gonna re-read this thread several more times. 😉

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
Just to be sure, did you try to replace also the little battery in the remote shifter?
Yes, have replsced that twice now. It is saying near fully charged still in App and lights up green still when pushing button at lever

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
How could you?…perfection is expected at all times 🤦‍♂️ (JK).

Sometimes a new cr2032 battery in the remote makes a poor connection. Duracell batteries are bad for this. There’s an extremely thin film or coating over the battery that could prevent a good contact. Panasonic batteries don’t seem to have this issue.

Simply rub or lightly sand the surface of the Duracell battery.
Now I’m gonna re-read this thread several more times. 😉
Thanks for reply, battery still good at lever and use Energizer brand. Rear battery is fully charged as well

jrlieber

Apr 2, 2024
Ketchum
Sadly, I have some experience here. I have two bikes, both with SRAM Eagle AXS X01 RD. After about 3 years, the mtn bike with this system had a failed derailleur. It would fail intermittently, more and more frequently This was NOT a battery problem. It would just stop working, like described above. Ultimately, I too noticed one of the pins was not making contact. I pulled the derailleur apart and noticed a tiny spring that no longer worked. Note that this voided the warranty but I put it back together. SRAM was completely unresponsive to me personally, so I had to go through the original dealer. They had ZERO luck (3 years old component). SRAM left me having to buy another derailleur. HATE SRAM customer service, as if it exists.
Sadly, I have the next installment. That mtn bike works fine, but here I am on a gravel trip in Europe with an Open Wide, also with the same AXS derailleur. Same irregular failure. Once it said it was the battery. I changed battery several times, and at several points was able to get the SRAM app on my phone to interact with device, telling me battery was charged (both batteries). Again, this is intermittent, unreliable, NOT a battery problem. This time the pins appear to still have function, but it's as if the device doesn't recognize having power. I think I'm headed for a 4 hour drive to a bike shop to buy a new derailleur. So if you are reading this and contemplating buying SRAM AXS, have caution. When the system is working, it's really reliable and great! But I can't believe I have another failure. And rare too, as I don't know anyone else with this problem. Good luck.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Sadly, I have some experience here. I have two bikes, both with SRAM Eagle AXS X01 RD. After about 3 years, the mtn bike with this system had a failed derailleur. It would fail intermittently, more and more frequently This was NOT a battery problem. It would just stop working, like described above. Ultimately, I too noticed one of the pins was not making contact. I pulled the derailleur apart and noticed a tiny spring that no longer worked. Note that this voided the warranty but I put it back together. SRAM was completely unresponsive to me personally, so I had to go through the original dealer. They had ZERO luck (3 years old component). SRAM left me having to buy another derailleur. HATE SRAM customer service, as if it exists.
Sadly, I have the next installment. That mtn bike works fine, but here I am on a gravel trip in Europe with an Open Wide, also with the same AXS derailleur. Same irregular failure. Once it said it was the battery. I changed battery several times, and at several points was able to get the SRAM app on my phone to interact with device, telling me battery was charged (both batteries). Again, this is intermittent, unreliable, NOT a battery problem. This time the pins appear to still have function, but it's as if the device doesn't recognize having power. I think I'm headed for a 4 hour drive to a bike shop to buy a new derailleur. So if you are reading this and contemplating buying SRAM AXS, have caution. When the system is working, it's really reliable and great! But I can't believe I have another failure. And rare too, as I don't know anyone else with this problem. Good luck.

I don't think it is reasonable to expect a 3 year old component to be warrantied though, given that SRAM's official warranty is 2 years...

jrlieber

Apr 2, 2024
Ketchum
I don't think it is reasonable to expect a 3 year old component to be warrantied though, given that SRAM's official warranty is 2 years...
Totally agree Rick. But if components will fail at 3 years, then good to know. Not sure it's worth dropping another $700 into the bike for a possible failure at some unknown time. I'm not particularly hard on the bike components. I just ride the bike a lot. Feels like a dishwasher - buy one 20 years ago and it's still running; buy one now and planned obsolescence is in 5-7 years. Should I just go back to manual shifters?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles