Shimano freehub failure

Vaau839

Mar 31, 2020
Uk
This video I took for my warranty claim better shows the problem (with the casette removed)
As you can see the hex bolt is fully tight and there's no play in the centre, but the outer casing is loose as hell!

Worrying that I'm not the only one to have the issue. I wonder if Shimano had a bad batch of freehubs.
When I initially bought the bike I sent in a warranty request to the shop too, but they insisted that it's normal as it's the same on every single one of their new bikes with this freehub. With this 2-3mm play, I've actually done 17'000km already without much of an issue, it might be messing up my shifting but it seems good enough so far.

David g

Jul 19, 2023
Cardiff
Hi all,

Got a bit of an issue with the freehub on my Cube Hybrid Reaction Pro 625 hardtail

It's only 3 months old and done 6-700 miles but yesterday I was having more and more issues with the chain jumping and my mate noticed a ton of play in the rear cassette. You can move it 3-4mm back and forth on the axle.

I was at dales bike centre so asked their shop guy to have a look and he basically said "your freehub is completely f****d, I wouldn't even ride that it's on the verge of going completely"

Quite disappointing on a 3 month old bike. I've got an email in with balfes who I bought the bike from online to see what I can do about a warranty claim but I'm keen to not be without a bike for weeks/months.

I've got the tools coming today to pull the casette and freehub body off and was going to just buy a replacement so I can get back out soon but it seems to be an absolute minefield.

My rear hub is a Shimano FH-TX505. From the exploded views I found it looks like I need part number Y31S98020.
View attachment 64727

But I can't find that part anywhere at all...
Is there really a hundred different freehub bodies? I kind of assumed I could just order a shimano HG freehub and it would fit but they seem to be unique to the hub.
I'd even buy an entire TX505 rear hub just so I could use the freehub body but I can't find them in stock anywhere either :(

Is there any aftermarket options or alternatives?

Thanks in advance
Iv got a cube Katmandu 85nm my freehub has failed iv a Shimano fh-tx505 axel so I need a freehub I ended up ordering one from a bike dealer tx505 freehub and a tx500 arrived .I have read they are the same thing and it has fitted perfect .iv a 9 speed cassette.im back on the road and it was only £15 .I got no help from cube or the shop I bought it from
Hi all,

Got a bit of an issue with the freehub on my Cube Hybrid Reaction Pro 625 hardtail

It's only 3 months old and done 6-700 miles but yesterday I was having more and more issues with the chain jumping and my mate noticed a ton of play in the rear cassette. You can move it 3-4mm back and forth on the axle.

I was at dales bike centre so asked their shop guy to have a look and he basically said "your freehub is completely f****d, I wouldn't even ride that it's on the verge of going completely"

Quite disappointing on a 3 month old bike. I've got an email in with balfes who I bought the bike from online to see what I can do about a warranty claim but I'm keen to not be without a bike for weeks/months.

I've got the tools coming today to pull the casette and freehub body off and was going to just buy a replacement so I can get back out soon but it seems to be an absolute minefield.

My rear hub is a Shimano FH-TX505. From the exploded views I found it looks like I need part number Y31S98020.
View attachment 64727

Is there really a hundred different freehub bodies? I kind of assumed I could just order a shimano HG freehub and it would fit but they seem to be unique to the hub.
I'd even buy an entire TX505 rear hub just so I could use the freehub body but I can't find them in stock anywhere either :(

Thanks in advance

toma5

Jul 19, 2023
London
Iv got a cube Katmandu 85nm my freehub has failed iv a Shimano fh-tx505 axel so I need a freehub I ended up ordering one from a bike dealer tx505 freehub and a tx500 arrived .I have read they are the same thing and it has fitted perfect .iv a 9 speed cassette.im back on the road and it was only £15 .I got no help from cube or the shop I bought it from
I have the same problem. Got mine from tredz 9 months ago and they don't seem interested

oerjann

Dec 5, 2023
Bergen
I managed to find a freewheel body on Amazon with next day delivery £12 for anybody that’s still needing one of these!

SHIMANO FH-TX500, freewell body unit , cycling hub https://amzn.eu/d/8R74yCG

@emtbPhil do I need to remove the disc brake in order to remove the locking nuts? Gonna attempt this job tomorrow! I’ve ordered a new axel and ball bearings too. Just unsure how to remove the locking nuts!
Thank you for the link to the FH-TX500 body on Amazon. I ordered the last one to replace the freewheel body unit on a FH-TX505. Although it was not exactly equal (sealing of the bearings was different) to the freewheel hub I already had, and the bearings was not included (I just reused the bearing on the broken TX505), it did the job.

86szs

Apr 22, 2024
Europe
Hi all,

View attachment 64727

Thanks in advance
Hi. I found the hub in an online store but are you sure if the freehub body is replaceable for the TX505-8? I wouldnt want to unmount all the spokes and everything to repace the entire hub. Thanks

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
It was a looong time ago I did this but yes I replaced just the freehub on mine not the entire hub

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles