Rebound adjuster not working

Brian VT USA

Oct 2, 2023
VT, USA
Rockshox Recon Silver RL D1
I didn't bother with the fork rebound adjustment for my 1st ride. After that, when I found time, I took time to do a full setup of my suspension (in my house). I got the sag set front and rear, messed with compression and rebound on the rear and got what seemed like a good starting point. Same with the compression on the fork. Then I messed with the rebound on the fork and the adjustments seem to have no effect. I turned it to full "slow" and it still comes back like a pogo stick. I am using an Allen wrench from my tool box to make the adjustments and I'm feeling the "clicks", so this isn't one of those cases where the included "adjuster" isn't engaged and doing it's job.
I watched some videos for servicing forks in hopes of finding a clue to my problem but they all seem to just show disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly. No clues to why my rebound adjuster seems to have no effect.
Help?
I'd be fine with digging into this myself rather than bringing it to a shop. I would just like to know what I should be looking for before I dig into it.

Brian VT USA

Oct 2, 2023
VT, USA
Here's the parts view. What part might be the culprit for the rebound adjustment not working?

Fork exploded_page1.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I think it is great that you are prepared to dig in to the workings and fix it yourself. But if you fail to fix it and take it back to the shop, there is a risk that they may say that because you had a go, the warranty is void. It is brand new and should be working properly, let them sort it out.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
It is better to set your SAG with compression settings fully open and rebound fully fast...................THEN set rebound with compression still fully open..........then set compression. Perhaps try doing this before deciding the rebound adjustment is doing nothing.

Brian VT USA

Oct 2, 2023
VT, USA
It is better to set your SAG with compression settings fully open and rebound fully fast...................THEN set rebound with compression still fully open..........then set compression. Perhaps try doing this before deciding the rebound adjustment is doing nothing.
Hmmm. I will try that. Thank you.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles