Levo Gen 2 Problem with TCU and turning the power on

DaveNewing

Feb 3, 2020
UK
This is a bit of a long explanation, but I don't know a short way of explaining the issue I'm suffering with. I have a 2020 turbo Levo and about a month ago I couldn't turn the bike on with the TCU power button. If I disconnected the power cable from the battery and then reconnected it, the bike could then be turned on with the TCU power button. The issue I noticed was when I turned my bike on using this method I would get a red LED flash twice before all the power bars light up. The red LED was the lowest one on the TCU display. None of the fault codes from Specialized show this fault so I contacted my Specialized LBS. I booked it in to diagnose the problem but I had to wait nearly a month before they had any time to look at it. They told me the fault was with the TCU itself, but in the month I waited for them to look at it they were no longer a Specialized dealer so they couldn't order the spare part. I ordered an new TCU from a Specialized dealer and it arrived today. My LBS said it was a plug and play part so all I had to do was register it with my Specialized phone app. I fitted the new TCU and paired it with my phone. I adjusted the power settings to my liking and thought everything was good. I turned the bike off and tried to turn it back on to check everything. The bike wouldn't turn back on. Even disconnecting the power cable from the battery and reconnecting doesn't solve this problem. I can only get it to turn on if I remove the TCU from the frame and disconnect both cables, then reconnect them again. This will allow me to turn the power on once, then I cannot turn it on again.
Any ideas what is wrong?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
It sounds like the bike is not shutting down, meaning some part of the CAN is possibly short circuit. The removal of the TCU connections forces the shutdown. It may be worth removing the non drive side motor cover and checking each of the cable connections there for corrosion. The other cable that has caused problems on the Levo is the Battery to motor cable...especially on the 2019/2020 models. Check that cable whilst you have the cover off paying particular attention to the end terminated there. Check that the outer sheath is fully connected to the plug and check the plug itself for corrosion. The original 2019 cable was replaced due to that outer sheath breaking away from the plug and allowing water ingress. A new motor to battery cable is c £90.

DaveNewing

Feb 3, 2020
UK
It sounds like the bike is not shutting down, meaning some part of the CAN is possibly short circuit. The removal of the TCU connections forces the shutdown. It may be worth removing the non drive side motor cover and checking each of the cable connections there for corrosion. The other cable that has caused problems on the Levo is the Battery to motor cable...especially on the 2019/2020 models. Check that cable whilst you have the cover off paying particular attention to the end terminated there. Check that the outer sheath is fully connected to the plug and check the plug itself for corrosion. The original 2019 cable was replaced due to that outer sheath breaking away from the plug and allowing water ingress. A new motor to battery cable is c £90.
Thanks MikerB, I'll have a look at this and let you know.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles