Pole Voima swing arm CRACKED

Tomska23

Apr 18, 2024
Finland
In my knowledge there hasn't been many of those newer swingarms made if you follow the timeline before the bankruptcy.
There isn't any information on how big of a batch was made before they had the machine downtime + bankruptcy. I could imagine their focus was to release the new gravity platform and machine sonnis with full production capacity and they needed investors again to help with all of this at the same time with the political strikes in Finland. Due to the investors inability to fund all of this, pole HAD to file for bankruptcy.
Lets not dive in too deep on why these events happened and lets focus on gathering data of the swingarms for those who still own something and plan to use their Voimas.

I have gathered some information from these forums and instagram etc. that some people have received the newer swingarms. The question remains if there is any newer swingarms left at the liquidation process and if there are people in line who have called the warranty for a broken swingarm. It really depends how the liquidation happens;

(1) There are creditors who pole owes money and they will claim their place at the liquidation of assets (process in finland is going to take 2-3 months to figure out who pole owns and how much, and after that another 7 months until the assets are finally distributed between the creditors) appendix: https://www.konkurssiasiamies.fi/fi/index/konkurssijayrityssaneeraus - Finnish bankruptcy database
(2) A wild guess is that there probably isn't enough assets that can be liquidated for all of those who pole owes money at the time and in example of the swingarms they might be of more value for those who already have a broken swingarm rather than those who are just keen on buying it just in case
(3) If a miracle happens and all of the creditors get paid full amount at the end of the distribution of assets, i highly doubt there will be any swingarms left that had already been machined to stock for simply all of the people to buy just in case

With this conclusion i think that the only possible way of those who already own a Voima are heavily reliant on data of how the swingarms are failing, why they are failing and for which batch of bikes. If we can't collect any more data of these events, its only luck and wishes for all of the users that own a Voima and haven't broken their bikes for now. Without this data the bikes either break or don't. Nobody will want to buy a Voima ever again from any other people so their usage is now limited to their current owner. Opinions about the brand are already really controversial.

Rob and Leo might have some insight and they could share some information to keep Voimas future reputation higher. This would be a necessity for Poles reputation after the bankruptcy.

What i would be pleased to hear is that there is some batch (lets say 15 bikes) that had some defects in manufacturing and all of the other bikes are most likely to not fail from this area. Then we could collect data of this batch and count the probabilities of how many frames are still to break. If this data is not given to us by any respectable degree, we are simply relying on Leos words that they really don't think many of the bikes will suffer from this problem since they didn't want to recall all of the bikes. All of this is just so hard to believe because it seems that they might've said this only to prolong warranty because they had suffered from all of the strikes, machine downtimes, debts etc. the list goes on.

I really can't say if this information is even something Leo is justified to publish at this point even if he knew some insights..

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
In my knowledge there hasn't been many of those newer swingarms made if you follow the timeline before the bankruptcy.
There isn't any information on how big of a batch was made before they had the machine downtime + bankruptcy. I could imagine their focus was to release the new gravity platform and machine sonnis with full production capacity and they needed investors again to help with all of this at the same time with the political strikes in Finland. Due to the investors inability to fund all of this, pole HAD to file for bankruptcy.
Lets not dive in too deep on why these events happened and lets focus on gathering data of the swingarms for those who still own something and plan to use their Voimas.

I have gathered some information from these forums and instagram etc. that some people have received the newer swingarms. The question remains if there is any newer swingarms left at the liquidation process and if there are people in line who have called the warranty for a broken swingarm. It really depends how the liquidation happens;

(1) There are creditors who pole owes money and they will claim their place at the liquidation of assets (process in finland is going to take 2-3 months to figure out who pole owns and how much, and after that another 7 months until the assets are finally distributed between the creditors) appendix: https://www.konkurssiasiamies.fi/fi/index/konkurssijayrityssaneeraus - Finnish bankruptcy database
(2) A wild guess is that there probably isn't enough assets that can be liquidated for all of those who pole owes money at the time and in example of the swingarms they might be of more value for those who already have a broken swingarm rather than those who are just keen on buying it just in case
(3) If a miracle happens and all of the creditors get paid full amount at the end of the distribution of assets, i highly doubt there will be any swingarms left that had already been machined to stock for simply all of the people to buy just in case

With this conclusion i think that the only possible way of those who already own a Voima are heavily reliant on data of how the swingarms are failing, why they are failing and for which batch of bikes. If we can't collect any more data of these events, its only luck and wishes for all of the users that own a Voima and haven't broken their bikes for now. Without this data the bikes either break or don't. Nobody will want to buy a Voima ever again from any other people so their usage is now limited to their current owner. Opinions about the brand are already really controversial.

Rob and Leo might have some insight and they could share some information to keep Voimas future reputation higher. This would be a necessity for Poles reputation after the bankruptcy.

What i would be pleased to hear is that there is some batch (lets say 15 bikes) that had some defects in manufacturing and all of the other bikes are most likely to not fail from this area. Then we could collect data of this batch and count the probabilities of how many frames are still to break. If this data is not given to us by any respectable degree, we are simply relying on Leos words that they really don't think many of the bikes will suffer from this problem since they didn't want to recall all of the bikes. All of this is just so hard to believe because it seems that they might've said this only to prolong warranty because they had suffered from all of the strikes, machine downtimes, debts etc. the list goes on.

I really can't say if this information is even something Leo is justified to publish at this point even if he knew some insights..
I don’t think there were any specific bad batches per sey. I have heard that heavier riders who schralped their bikes hard in berms and whipped their bikes sideways off jumps and landed off center or possibly had rear suspension settings that were either too stiff or too soft and had repeated hard bottom out landings off jumps we’re the ones who had braking/cracking issues. Those things put a lot of stress on the rear end so I try not to do them when I ride. I’ve had a first gen Voima without any braking/cracking issues and now I have a second gen Voima that has not had any cracking or braking issues so far🤞🏼. I am however having issues with my motor/battery shutting down during rides, but I’m currently trying to get the battery replaced under warranty through my LBS/Bosch dealer. Hopefully someone will buy Pole and they’ll stay in business so we can buy whatever spares we want or need.

Tomska23

Apr 18, 2024
Finland
I don’t think there were any specific bad batches per sey. I have heard that heavier riders who schralped their bikes hard in berms and whipped their bikes sideways off jumps and landed off center or possibly had rear suspension settings that were either too stiff or too soft and had repeated hard bottom out landings off jumps we’re the ones who had braking/cracking issues. Those things put a lot of stress on the rear end so I try not to do them when I ride. I’ve had a first gen Voima without any braking/cracking issues and now I have a second gen Voima that has not had any cracking or braking issues so far🤞🏼. I am however having issues with my motor/battery shutting down during rides, but I’m currently trying to get the battery replaced under warranty through my LBS/Bosch dealer. Hopefully someone will buy Pole and they’ll stay in business so we can buy whatever spares we want or need.
Thank you for anwsering. This is just the information all the voima riders need at the moment.
I more than agree with what you are saying about pole. Lets hope someone sees an opportunity in pole and keeps the legacy going.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I guess one option that a voids the need to recourse to bankrupcy stock ...if indeed there is any......is to identify from those who suffered those cracks where exactly the swingarm fails and then see if it is possible to source local engineering expertise to weld some form of reinforcement at that point.

Tomska23

Apr 18, 2024
Finland
I guess one option that a voids the need to recourse to bankrupcy stock ...if indeed there is any......is to identify from those who suffered those cracks where exactly the swingarm fails and then see if it is possible to source local engineering expertise to weld some form of reinforcement at that point.
Yeah, i think alot of people have thought about this option. Only that 7075 aluminium is not weldable. It causes microcracking in the material due to heat being introduced to the structure. It wouldn’t be impossible to reverse engineer the swingarm design and machine a batch for those in need. I have actually considered this as an option incase my own personal Voima fails. Dont hold your breaths, since i would only consider this at the most extreme situation where nothing else would work.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
The frame is 7075 so not really conducive to welding. That’s one of the reasons why it’s bonded.

Darkyhs

Oct 25, 2020
Freiburg, Germany
Actually 2 days ago I started writing a post for this forum and after thinking how to put it I stopped. I was thinking to start a Google Document which would be open to the public to try to gather the data of the Voima's, both cracked and uncracked to see if we can find a pattern. This document would have had, purchase date, version, weight rider, Frame size and style. However, considering Pole is going through the bankruptcy this would mean that this data would be public and I am not sure this would help Leo out with finding potential new investors. Also, as it would be open this would mean that everyone can alter the data making it unreliable.
To be fair, I think the only option would be if Leo would share this info with us, or at least the pattern Pole was able to find until now. Perhaps @Rob Rides EMTB , as he is an owner of this forum and has insights in the industry can help us out gathering such information and sharing it in silence? Not sure how this would work but perhaps we can all think of this.

Also, what means heavier rider, as this is all about perspective :). What in Europe might be a Medium in the US is Small and so on. Me as a 180 CM rider with 90KG, I feel on the heavy side, while someone that weights 100KG + but is also allot bigger than me is considered small. Additionally, what for the one is aggressive, for another is a walk down the park. Either way, situation does not inspire confidence for me to go out and "ride my bike like I stole it''. While looking at the topic from another perspective, I am lucky to have received my bike. So it is all relative.

Truly hope they will be able to find a solution to this story, as this sucks for everyone involved.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I'm not sure there is a common denominator.
Because even the failures are not consistent.
As far as I can see, there are three different types of failure. Yon have the cracking around the top linkage, which is the failure that's been recognised by Pole, the delamination of the actual join, and this can occur anywhere and a rarity as I had, wearing of the material that touches the bearing surface.
I think it's just pot luck if your bike will be affected.
Such a same, as definitely the best bike I've ever ridden.

Tomska23

Apr 18, 2024
Finland
As far as I can see, there are three different types of failure. Yon have the cracking around the top linkage, which is the failure that's been recognised by Pole, the delamination of the actual join, and this can occur anywhere and a rarity as I had, wearing of the material that touches the bearing surface.
Such a same, as definitely the best bike I've ever ridde

Such a same, as definitely the best bike I've ever ridden.
Could you specify what kind of wearing of material did you have and why do you think it might’ve happened? Im interested on seeing some photos of the failure if you can share them! Thank you for coming out with this info

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Could you specify what kind of wearing of material did you have and why do you think it might’ve happened? Im interested on seeing some photos of the failure if you can share them! Thank you for coming out with this info
Unfortunately no photos and you wouldn't see it in a photo anyway.
But basically on the drive side only, the two bearing locators on the inside of the main swing arm spar, had worn, which made them baggy on the bearings causing play.
Apparently my case was the only one Pole had seen.
I believe the machining tolerance was a bit to small from new, which gave just enough play to wear.

muzzman1

Feb 11, 2019
Los Angeles CA
@Durrti the OP of this thread is a friend of mine, and he has since sold his Voima a few months back, but he's about 5'8 (1.73M) and 210lbs (95kg). He is an absolute beast on the trails. He rips the turns/burms. He had race axle's as well.
I suspect they might have to do with the stress on the arms also. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Im not sure if he's on this forum much anymore, but I thought Id add some context.
I happen to own @Onetime 1st gen Voima (serial K0002) and it's in perfect condition after about 3000 miles. I just did a detailed swingarm inspection during a tire change. There's nothing suspicious going on, so hopefully this will be the case for most of us, since in reality, the frame will be only good for recycling if Pole is not resurrected.

IMG_4800.jpeg IMG_4802.jpeg IMG_4801.jpeg IMG_4803.jpeg

theklaw

Oct 27, 2022
New Zealand
Off topic although I’m keen to know if there may be warranty support for these beasts in future 🤞 unfortunately I’m not in a position to help with a bail out.

I had issues with the bike shutting down mid ride and discovered that it was the Bosch immobiliser / motor lock that was causing the trouble. Turned it off and haven’t had the issue again.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
Off topic although I’m keen to know if there may be warranty support for these beasts in future 🤞 unfortunately I’m not in a position to help with a bail out.

I had issues with the bike shutting down mid ride and discovered that it was the Bosch immobiliser / motor lock that was causing the trouble. Turned it off and haven’t had the issue again.
I have two batteries for mine, one 750w, (the one that came with the bike) and a 500w that I bought more recently. The problem I have only happens when I’m using the original 750w battery, and not with the newer 500w battery, so I’m pretty sure it’s the battery for mine.

Murphius

Jun 19, 2020
Washington
I have two batteries for mine, one 750w, (the one that came with the bike) and a 500w that I bought more recently. The problem I have only happens when I’m using the original 750w battery, and not with the newer 500w battery, so I’m pretty sure it’s the battery for mine.
Put dielectric grease on the terminals within your bike then try the issue prone battery again, I had the same problem and it eliminated it.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
Put dielectric grease on the terminals within your bike then try the issue prone battery again, I had the same problem and it eliminated it.
Been there, done that. That was the first thing I did. It worked for a little while and now it’s back. I’ve already been to my local Bosch dealer and there were several error codes, but most of them were a battery short. The battery is still under warranty, so I’m trying to get it replaced. Currently waiting to hear back from Bosch.

Darkyhs

Oct 25, 2020
Freiburg, Germany
I think I'll drop off my bike at my second home(yea I am lucky), and keep it as a vacation bike and wont ride it as I stole it anymore :). Too bad as I have the Bosch CX Race motor, but it isnt inspiring anymore. Best bike I ever ridden to be honest.

@Rob Rides EMTB , considering you also have the Pole, would you recommend any other bike with similar travel? Personally I am very intrigued by the Mondraker Dune XR, that you tested. How do you reckon the difference in battery and weight is? I dont mind being first up the mountain, but I do like to play around with the bikes.

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
Both swingarms on my 2nd gen Voima crumpled landing a small jump but clearly there must have been cracks growing for a while. The rips in the failed swingarms started exactly where the problem spot is where the lower linkage bolts up.

Pole replaced swingarms and linkages just before they went under. Took about 3 months from warranty request to get the redesigned swingarms.

IMG_6733.jpeg

6’4” 235lbs. Guess you could say I’m hard on bikes as this is definitely not my first cracked frame.

Some POV video from our local to give an idea of what kind of riding led to the failure in case that’s helpful:

tooFATtoRIDE

Sep 18, 2023
North by Northwest
Both swingarms on my 2nd gen Voima crumpled landing a small jump but clearly there must have been cracks growing for a while. The rips in the failed swingarms started exactly where the problem spot is where the lower linkage bolts up.

Pole replaced swingarms and linkages just before they went under. Took about 3 months from warranty request to get the redesigned swingarms.

View attachment 139512
What a carnage....

Would you mind telling when you bought your Voima and when you made your warranty request?

Durrti

Aug 22, 2021
California
@Durrti the OP of this thread is a friend of mine, and he has since sold his Voima a few months back, but he's about 5'8 (1.73M) and 210lbs (95kg). He is an absolute beast on the trails. He rips the turns/burms. He had race axle's as well.
I suspect they might have to do with the stress on the arms also. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Im not sure if he's on this forum much anymore, but I thought Id add some context.
I happen to own @Onetime 1st gen Voima (serial K0002) and it's in perfect condition after about 3000 miles. I just did a detailed swingarm inspection during a tire change. There's nothing suspicious going on, so hopefully this will be the case for most of us, since in reality, the frame will be only good for recycling if Pole is not resurrected.

View attachment 139321 View attachment 139322 View attachment 139323 View attachment 139324
Still lurking 👀

Murphius

Jun 19, 2020
Washington
After the Stamina rear triangle failure during the Pinkbike field test, Pole got serious and showed they performed an EFBE Tritest on the Voima. Pole Bicycle Company on Instagram: "The question on everyone's mind right now - has the Voima E-bike passed the gruelling EFBE Tri-Test®?! 😬 * * * * YES it has! We're so pleased say the Voima E-bike has been awarded the EFBE Tri-Test® Gravity CAT-5 certification! 🥳 Next step - production! Check out the link in Bio 🔗 to see what the frame really went through 😳 #areyoumachined #polevoima #ebikes #emtb #tritest #efbe"

It’s a pity that this didn’t protect them on the Voima. The swingarm failure rate feels way too high, more of a matter of when, not if.

slickrock

Aug 7, 2022
SF Bay Area
Some POV video from our local to give an idea of what kind of riding led to the failure in case that’s helpful:

Absolutely love Boyscout. Over the years it's really turned from a poison oak minefield into a tight and playful amusement park. Had a blast on my Voima there before it was stolen in Tahoe.

Now if if show me videos of you riding the Crack, well then then the broken swingarms totally make sense.

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
Absolutely love Boyscout. Over the years it's really turned from a poison oak minefield into a tight and playful amusement park. Had a blast on my Voima there before it was stolen in Tahoe.

Now if if show me videos of you riding the Crack, well then then the broken swingarms totally make sense.
LOL no Crack vids but I think I might still have the old man KOM on Mile (?)

Here’s some Mile footage from the same day:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles