Pinkbike 2021 Meta Power Review

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
They rode them all with the motors off? Is this normal? I cant say ive even turned mine off when riding DH trails.
I also thought it surprising the fastest ebike was 8 seconds slower than the fastest analog bike.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Timed testing, with motors turned off it seems.

D1BC3357-8B35-424F-98C1-F1B835867D91.jpeg

DC33116B-005E-4E01-B6FB-B8C9D85F2C57.jpeg

A8D54318-00F5-4078-AC60-68C82BD784AF.jpeg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Hve to say their Ebike test this year is piss poor. No Bosch or Yamaha motors, and a weird choice of bikes IMO.

I would have though Levo vs Rail vs Yeti vs Kenevo SL would have been more interesting/informative. I guess its partly down to what they can get hold of.

Over to yu @Rob Rides EMTB

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Climb testing with the seat jacked on an emtb...... better than getting roadies to test emtbs i guess

Miket775

Feb 4, 2020
Northampton, UK
Watched all the Pinkbike videos and the anti-ebike vibe coming off from all 3 of them was awful and wasnt a true representation of the market with no Bosch or Yamaha motors - I've found they have been going down in standard for the last few months.

If they want to see a good group test then check out the Loam Wolf vids - they seem to understand how you ride ebikes more!!

gbarfoot

Sep 1, 2020
Colorado usa
Listened to their latest ebike podcast and was pretty unimpressed with their knowledge and comprehension of the segment. Pink bike will definitely not be my go to for ebike eval or news

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Henry is known to be not an eBike fan. Same for Pinkbike. Got a feeling they're only doing it because of outside pressures but they really didn't want to be there. Didn't even range test all the bikes. Couldn't be bothered? Forgot? Also seems the criteria was to be a all trail munching downhill sled and not anything else.

Don't know why they bothered.

Pinkbike has some excellent content. This wasn't it. Thankfully we have Rob...

Gordon

Grugged

Apr 12, 2020
Oslo, Norway
Henry is known to be not an eBike fan. Same for Pinkbike. Got a feeling they're only doing it because of outside pressures but they really didn't want to be there. Didn't even range test all the bikes. Couldn't be bothered? Forgot? Also seems the criteria was to be a all trail munching downhill sled and not anything else.

Don't know why they bothered.

Pinkbike has some excellent content. This wasn't it. Thankfully we have Rob...

Gordon

To be honest I do agree with a lot of their criticisms though. I agree with the lack of refinement on many ebikes - the shimano screens are horrible and there are lots of cables sticking out everywhere waiting to be pulled out. Specialized have definitely done a good job here but their pricing is a bit on the extreme side ( I know this is a big discussion and I don’t want to go down that rabbit hole, but the pricing barriers to entry are high). I think the loudness and rattling complaints are also completely legitimate, especially given the prices of these bikes. They also recognize the massive progress that has happened in the ebike world during the last few years. I am now in my fourth and the progression has been amazing but there is still far to go

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
Is the reach on the meta power large that extreme? They made a huge deal over it. I ride a large meta power 2018. Is it that much different.? Are they simply making sue large for really large folks as in 6' plus and getting those 5'9. To 5' 11"" more into a medium?

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
I don't trust their timing, and I'm not sure Matt Beer does either.

Capra was the quickest bike, but not the one he would pick for an Enduro race. Why not, would he prefer to come last? How can you justify picking a slower bike because it feels quicker - that's fine if you're out to have fun, but not if you want to win races. This leads me to conclude that he doesn't trust his own timings.

Equally there is no way the eBikes were 8 sec slower. If this is due to weight, then the Kenevo SL should have been quicker, but it was nearly the slowest. Doesn't stack up.

Maybe expert riders do go slower with extra weight, because they can't pump the trail as hard to get speed. After all we don't see WCDH bikes with 8kg ballast.

What would be cool is if an excellent normal rider, who better represents the population of enthusiast bikers were to time e Vs standard. It would make a great video. Any volunteers @Rob Hancill ;)

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
Just for a.moment.
getting back to the meta power, reach on a 2018 large is 458
Reach on the large 2021 is 475... Medium 2021 it's 450.

Personally I think they did us betweeners a favor to clarify WE ARE REALLY NOT THAT LARGE.

Too many analogue and e bikes blur the line for picking the "optimal" size. And that accounts for the myriad of posts and sales simply happening because the wrong size was purchased.

Would I also like an e-bike with a sub 40 lb weight .....dah !!! I'll take one. But not as my sole ride. On a 504watt he battery I can squeeze 3k very feet and 25 miles of super steeps in NorCal. That's on eco and even off. I would more likely jump for another bike if that bike had 2 batts one huge and one small.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Definitely ag
Watched all the Pinkbike videos and the anti-ebike vibe coming off from all 3 of them was awful and wasnt a true representation of the market with no Bosch or Yamaha motors - I've found they have been going down in standard for the last few months.

If they want to see a good group test then check out the Loam Wolf vids - they seem to understand how you ride ebikes more!!
Definitely agree with you on Pinkbike having a negative bias against emtbs. Guys at Loam Wolf have been pretty spot on with their bike, components and gear reviews. This website has a pretty scientific, unbiased view IMHO as well.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles