Orbea Wild (new) hand fatigue (OC M10 carbon bars)

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
I don't have that bike or that bar but if it feels a harsh, I'd be looking at the fork and the front tyre rather than the bar being too stiff.

Hand fatigue could be bar height, bar roll, saddle height, saddle tilt, brake lever angle etc.

I used to get numb hands on my hardtail with Oneup carbon bars. They were rolled too far forward in the end.

I used to get sore hands/ wrists on my Rise but this was cured by modifying the damper to open up the high speed damping. I also get similar issues if I have the main air pressure set too high.

There are so many things that can beat your hands up. What do you mean when you say hand fatigue? What's the issue?

Last edited:

COrider

Sep 26, 2023
Colorado
I’m experiencing this but I have a set of one up carbon bars that I have had good success with historically. I’ve chalked it up to a significant amount more descending, along with higher speed on rough flats and climbs.

I let some air out of the front tire and softened up the fork and that helped. I’m running the front and rear suspension quite a bit softer than I do on my acoustic bike. Between the extra weight and speed the softer suspension is really nice. It soaks a lot of the chatter up really well now. I think I just need to adjust to the extra miles that riding the bike is putting into my hands at this point.

Zave

Jul 27, 2022
Surrey England
Interesting responses. Was going to buy the One Up bars. I'll try dropping a few psi out the fork first. I only run 18psi in the front tyre

COrider

Sep 26, 2023
Colorado
That sounds good on the front tyre, I would be concerned with pinch flats, rim strikes going lower. Softening up the front fork helped me out a lot. I am still in the process of dialing my suspension in as well. It is running soft but I would like it to be a bit more "poppy". I am looking for a happy medium.

PureFM

Sep 26, 2023
45°S New Zealand
Rebound too high? Fork/ suspension setup ..... Bike to big for you, ie reach is too long?
I take it the bike is new to you or has this been happening for awhile?

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
That sounds good on the front tyre, I would be concerned with pinch flats, rim strikes going lower. Softening up the front fork helped me out a lot. I am still in the process of dialing my suspension in as well. It is running soft but I would like it to be a bit more "poppy". I am looking for a happy medium.
Poppy is all in the rebound. Open it up 👍🏻

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
Interesting responses. Was going to buy the One Up bars. I'll try dropping a few psi out the fork first. I only run 18psi in the front tyre
When you say you're getting hand fatigue, is it just uncomfortable? Or does it feel like you're getting harsh impacts? Big difference.

If it's a comfort issue then no amount of tyre or fork faffing will fix it. If its harshness then maybe. If its because you're gripping the bar too tight because you're being bucked and thrown around on rough round then It's almost certainly a fork issue. What fork have you got? Is it the RS Silver TK? How much do you weigh? What terrain are you riding when you're getting hand fatuige?

Dropping the pressure in the fork could make it worse... If you go too soft on the main air spring, you'll be sitting deeper in the travel which gives you less travel before you hit the point where the air chamber ramps up. Hitting that wall if progression often feels harsh.

I had the same issue with a Revelation. The answer to harshness was more pressure.

The Rev that I had used the MoCo damper and it was terrible on anything even mildy rough. The damper didn't let the oil flow freely enough and no amount of air spring tuning was ever going to fix the harshness. I think the TK damper is fairly similar so that could well be your issue. (assuming it's the Silver TK after googling Wild M10)

COrider

Sep 26, 2023
Colorado
That’s a good thought! The back is running pretty close to open but I didn’t mess with the rebound on the fork after I let some pressure out. I’ll give that a try first.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
My right hand used to start going numb and hurting after about an hour. Had cut my bars down to 740mm (am 5'10"/178cm with long arms). Wife (medical) who also rides MTB said perhaps its wrist angle doing it. So changed to identical 770mm bar. No more pain. Was originally 780 bar which was fine but a bit too sticky outy in trees etc. so cut 5mm off each end. Just got to be more careful in trees and close terrain. Should also mention that have a 40mm stem which works nicely with the wider bars (Trek Rail 2022 alloy Large, ZEB Ultimate A2).

Last edited:

zyonbv

Sep 25, 2023
Wild
What is the bike size and also your height, arms length? Usually hand fatigue is due to the position on the bike not the handlebar.

Zave

Jul 27, 2022
Surrey England
Still not happy but think I've found the problem. The Fox 38 has 4 tokens in it. Gonna take them all out and see how it rides.

noizz

Nov 22, 2023
Swidnica
I was kinda in the same boat and people suggested Extra Chunky grips by ESI and it helped noticeably. Those are just thicc silicone grips, so there are alternatives probably.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Still not happy but think I've found the problem. The Fox 38 has 4 tokens in it. Gonna take them all out and see how it rides.
How much do you weigh, what terrain do you ride on, and how near to bottoming out is your fork?

Bear in mind that forks as supplied are typically initially configured for our cousins in the US who are very often 'considerably' heavier ...

OZ-E

Jun 21, 2021
Australia
How much do you weigh, what terrain do you ride on, and how near to bottoming out is your fork?

Bear in mind that forks as supplied are typically initially configured for our cousins in the US who are very often 'considerably' heavier ...
I am quite heavy @ 93kg and having the same problems.
I belive there have been some issues with the 38 Factory. You can see in this thread- Fox 38 Harshness?

Zave

Jul 27, 2022
Surrey England
Tried it today without any tokens. It bottoms out a lot. Much more comfortable on the hands. I'll add one token back and see how it goes.

Zave

Jul 27, 2022
Surrey England
Well, it turned out my forks were stuck down (probably from new) and only showing 130mm of stanchion. I got them rebuilt and must say it's night and day

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles