2500 miles
2500 smiles
Problems... zero

Whyte.jpg

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Thats impressive indeed. 9 more years and you will have circumnavigated the globe and arrived back where you started.

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
It's mad isn't it.
We have three cars in the family and we haven't done that between them in the last 12 months.

25 miles on the Whyte this morning (too blustery for the hardtail or road bike)

Just given it a right good clean ready for a full service.
Going to strip as much as I can, clean, relube and rebuild
200hr service on the fork and shock, strip the seat post down and relube, brake bleed, new pads, new shifter cable.
It will feel like new, for the spring.

New rear tyre required, but will change both, so fresh Stan's in both.
Now question, change like for like (2.5 WTB's), or go lighter with 2.3 High Rollers?

I wish I had invisiframed, or Heli-taped around the motor/bottom bracket area, it is looking a bit tired from rock chips.
How are the suspension bearings for wear after a year of solid use?

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
No discernible play or coarseness whatsoever whilst riding, despite most of the miles running in Yorkshire grit paste.

I will check it through properly once stripped down
I’ve a pair of new High Roller II’s for the summer and stuck with the 2.5 DD casings.....,but how expensive are they, don’t half empty your wallet at pace

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
How many chains and cassettes in that 2500 miles?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
5 chains
3 cassettes
Blimey, that's a lot. Or is it? I did a similar number on my Powerfly, but one was down to a snapped chain taking out the rear mech and bending some teeth on the cassette.

How many front chain rings?

I'm at 1880 miles on my Rail on the original chain and cassette. No slippage, but two quick links... I doubt it'll take a new chain, but I've got one, and a Deore cassette ready for when it finally cries "enough".

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
Good to hear that these bikes can handle the mileage. I’ve done 3500 miles on my Cube since last April, it’s still on the original brakes and tyres! And just one chain and sprocket change, but it’s going in for a service on Wednesday, which will be pricey.

I’ve not ridden my new Whyte that much, only done about 60 miles on it, as I’m waiting for everything to dry out, so figured I’d keep riding the Cube in the crap weather and try and keep the Whyte for the dryer weather.

raymondo

Jan 17, 2019
Sussex
cool, mines just gone past 3000 miles and then almost immediately decided to stop working 8 miles from the end of a ride. No idea what's wrong with it yet (display won't switch on), but pretty pleased with it still.

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
It's mad isn't it.
We have three cars in the family and we haven't done that between them in the last 12 months.

25 miles on the Whyte this morning (too blustery for the hardtail or road bike)

Just given it a right good clean ready for a full service.
Going to strip as much as I can, clean, relube and rebuild
200hr service on the fork and shock, strip the seat post down and relube, brake bleed, new pads, new shifter cable.
It will feel like new, for the spring.

New rear tyre required, but will change both, so fresh Stan's in both.
Now question, change like for like (2.5 WTB's), or go lighter with 2.3 High Rollers?

I wish I had invisiframed, or Heli-taped around the motor/bottom bracket area, it is looking a bit tired from rock chips.
i invisi-framed the BB but it is no match for rock strikes. Went for the rockguarz in the end. Seems effective, but it ain't pretty:(
I've been sticking a bit more air in the shock over the last few weeks, in an attempt to gain a few mm, but the sag stays the same no matter what the pressure! Long, low, slack versus shiney is a conundrum.

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
i invisi-framed the BB but it is no match for rock strikes. Went for the rockguarz in the end. Seems effective, but it ain't pretty:(
I've been sticking a bit more air in the shock over the last few weeks, in an attempt to gain a few mm, but the sag stays the same no matter what the pressure! Long, low, slack versus shiney is a conundrum.
oh and thank God it is alloy!

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
One thing.
My motor has always been really quiet, I never experienced any rattle, that other Bosch owners report.
But, recently gave the LH crank a right thwack on a rock after the front wheel slid off line.
I now have the rattle I think Bosch owners talk of, and my motor seems noisier overall, so lets see how it goes for the next 2500 miles.
Welcome to the motor-rattle club ? Did @Bearing Man finish his investigation into his theories on what it was? There was a thread about it months ago, can't find it. I still reckon it's gear backlash, and some motors are just packed with more grease.

Last edited:

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Has it been a year already!!? I did start looking and the motor is still in bits in my workshop. I can confirm that I don't believe it's the one way ratchet part that I first suspected. I can replicate the noise, just not had the time to single it out what is causing it so far...

paul-g

Dec 27, 2019
yorkshire
Not got the rattle yet ..but even if I did I'm sure that I wouldn't hear it as years of listening to very loud rock music has fkd up my hearing a bit ..I knew there would be an upside somewhere down the line ...
selective hearing symdrome

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles