Non-ICR headset, internal frame cable guide conversion for the SZZS-specific CEF50

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Acros now has the ZS66/40 lower bearing set in stock (they were out for a while) and ready for order so I was going to order that from Germany for the CEF50 but now they also have the non-IRC headset also available (ZS56/28.6) but has two options in a drop-down box when ordering (OD 63mm or OD 62mm). No other upper headset has this option that I have seen.

Which of the two would be correct the CEF 50 the 63 or 62mm OD? I was planning on getting the Hope for the upper but just ordering the one lower bearing from Acros the shipping cost is a lot but the same to get the upper a long with it. I acknowledge the Hope has greater bling factor but Acros is German. Plus it just feels better to get both from the same manufacturer for some reason and be done with it.

Thoughts?
Yeah, I've never seen the 63/62 mm option. And since my top cup is installed I can't easily measure headtube OD.

4 possibilities.
1. Ask SZZS the headtub ODs. (Might take a while).
2. Buy both 63 and 62 mm (more costly for return shipping so probably eat the cost or eBay it.)
3. Order the Hope in black to match.
4. Or maybe go to Hope Tech website and download the headset specs to compare OD fitment. Whatever Hope specs are they'll tell you if 63 or 62 fits.

ficorama

Oct 9, 2021
Croatia
Acros now has the ZS66/40 lower bearing set in stock (they were out for a while) and ready for order so I was going to order that from Germany for the CEF50 but now they also have the non-IRC headset also available (ZS56/28.6) but has two options in a drop-down box when ordering (OD 63mm or OD 62mm). No other upper headset has this option that I have seen.

Which of the two would be correct the CEF 50 the 63 or 62mm OD? I was planning on getting the Hope for the upper but just ordering the one lower bearing from Acros the shipping cost is a lot but the same to get the upper a long with it. I acknowledge the Hope has greater bling factor but Acros is German. Plus it just feels better to get both from the same manufacturer for some reason and be done with it.

Thoughts?
and what's wrong with the original headset?

PaulH

Apr 23, 2024
Dallas, Texas USA
and what's wrong with the original headset?
I await my bike so do not have any personal experience but these CEF50 forums describe a variety of issues with creaking and excessive cable/hose/wire wear being the most common and slop and grinding being second. That's my general understanding from reading here. I assume though there are an untold number of owners with no issues I just want to be prepared for when it arrives to minimize possible downtime.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I await my bike so do not have any personal experience but these CEF50 forums describe a variety of issues with creaking and excessive cable/hose/wire wear being the most common and slop and grinding being second. That's my general understanding from reading here. I assume though there are an untold number of owners with no issues I just want to be prepared for when it arrives to minimize possible downtime.
I think you're going the right route. Most of the OEM hardware from these direct factory purchases are inferior, often out of spec or just have low spec bearings. I had to gamble with the top ICR headset going with SZZS. And got burned twice.

But the issue for traditional frame cable routing was that on the frames this year, there were many issues of headset slop, so they started gluing in the top bearing cup only. A few were able to remove easily with a headset press/remover. One guy just requested a no-glued top/bottom cup frame successfully before they shipped.

One guy used their headset non-ICR successfully with a few shims, but still he changed out bearing with high-end Enduro brand (Hope uses them too for crappy UK mud and rain). And it sounds like one other now.👍

Overall, going aftermarket for the headset insures durability and precision across the board. It's a simple, cheap upgrade on a critical area.👊

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles