Lightning Rod Motor

dakmonfdakmonf

Subscriber
Nov 26, 2023
Canada
I intend to build my ebike this winter however I would like advice on choosing a motor. The Lighting Rod motors seem very robust but there does not seem to be a lot of interest ( compared to Cyc or Bafang) from the ebike community. I would greatly appreciate any and all help from those who have some knowledge regarding Lightning Rod to weigh in.

Greg

skinnyboy

May 25, 2023
Canada
If your intention is to use the bike as a true mountain bike it would probable be a better idea to buy a complete bike. Lots of good deals lately. So many things wrong with that setup I don't know where to begin.

Cheers.

dakmonfdakmonf

Subscriber
Nov 26, 2023
Canada
Skinnyboy Thanks for reply. So you are saying to stay away from purchasing Lightning Rod motor? The plan is more of a gravel bike but that may change.

skinnyboy

May 25, 2023
Canada
I would. Looks like it would be an engineering project, and the outcome would likely not give the same results as an off the shelf bike. Depends on what your goal is though.

The depreciation on something like this would probably be less the depreciation of the parts to convert a bike:

Cheers.

Last edited:

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
I have a cube stereo bought in March 2022. I found it so much fun but the speed restriction bothered me so I set about putting a bbshd on a hard tail. The reality was that it was useless for any of the riding I wanted to do. It was too heavy, only did about 20 miles on a 1000wh battery and being a conversion the rest of the bike wasn’t really built to handle it so would have all needed upgrading.

I sold it to guy who just wanted to commute on it, which was about all it was good for.

The cube feels like a normal bike, just easier. Now if you want to build a true mid motor emtb using the m820 or similar that’s more like it. But I suspect you’d spend what a shop bought bike cost anyway. I guess those that do it do it more for the fun of it than to save any money.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles