Just got Stance/Embolden Pros

hemismith

May 2, 2024
St George, UT, USA
My wife and I just picked up our new bikes, the Embolden E+ 1 Pro and Stance E+ 1 Pro (quite a mouthful).

We originally ordered the regular Stance E+ 1, but we switched to the Liv for her partly for the color. Turned out they were out of stock so then we upgraded to the Pro. But we hate both the colors on the Pro, I like the color of hers (black/gray) and she likes the color of mine (cordovan). Not sure what they were thinking; they really need to offer more options.

There was a problem with mine, there was some noise in the drivetrain and eventually they realized that when they had removed the cassette to remove a shipping guard they had put one of the gears on backwards. Hmmm. I tried to see if I could tell if it was all correct now but not sure how. It seems the teeth have a sloped side, but the teeth don't seem consistent in size or shape. Not sure if it's a design issue or poor quality.

My wife's dropper post can't go all the way down without pinching the cable so it doesn't work. The dealer pulled some additional cable out so we could get it most of the way down but I wonder if they put the wrong size post in hers?

It didn't come with a manual for the computer, and I don't see one online; the ones online are different. I assume these have the most basic one.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
My wife also has the Embolden E+1 Pro, done 1,000 km+ so far without issue on this great all-around ride.
I also have a giant e-mtb, I only use the app for motor tuning.
Enjoy! 😊

Weeksy

Dec 13, 2019
Reading
The cassette cogs will have writing on them, if it's on the front of each cog, it's correct. It'll often be the number of teeth.

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
Congrats on the new e-MTBs! The new gen Stance+ and Embolden+ seem very good value for the money.

Regarding dropper posts, often the smaller and women specific bikes have shorter dropper lengths. Sometimes they can take a longer dropper, sometimes they can’t. Either due to the frame and/or length of the dropper seat post.

On my Fuel EXe, I replaced the stock Bontrager dropper that was only 100mm in travel with a 150 mm travel OneUp dropper. They have the shortest dropper lengths so I could stick a 150mm one in there. Made a big difference for shorty me. Can fully put my feet down flat.

Unfortunately on some (size small) Liv and other bikes, I’ve noticed the stock dropper doesn’t drop much, and I am even on my toes with the seat at its lowest point. Could be the frame design but if it were me, I’d check to see if a longer travel dropper with a shorter overall length could be fitted. Usually you can get the “maximum dropper insertion length” of the frame in the specs of the bike.

hemismith

May 2, 2024
St George, UT, USA
The cassette cogs will have writing on them, if it's on the front of each cog, it's correct. It'll often be the number of teeth.
Thank you. The number of teeth on one of them was not legible and barely a stamp at all, but there was another stamp on it. A couple of the others weren't too legible or hard to see as well, but I was able to verify that they are all on correctly.

hemismith

May 2, 2024
St George, UT, USA
Congrats on the new e-MTBs! The new gen Stance+ and Embolden+ seem very good value for the money.

Regarding dropper posts, often the smaller and women specific bikes have shorter dropper lengths. Sometimes they can take a longer dropper, sometimes they can’t. Either due to the frame and/or length of the dropper seat post.

On my Fuel EXe, I replaced the stock Bontrager dropper that was only 100mm in travel with a 150 mm travel OneUp dropper. They have the shortest dropper lengths so I could stick a 150mm one in there. Made a big difference for shorty me. Can fully put my feet down flat.

Unfortunately on some (size small) Liv and other bikes, I’ve noticed the stock dropper doesn’t drop much, and I am even on my toes with the seat at its lowest point. Could be the frame design but if it were me, I’d check to see if a longer travel dropper with a shorter overall length could be fitted. Usually you can get the “maximum dropper insertion length” of the frame in the specs of the bike.
Good to know, thanks. It seems like it would be difficult to replace it, not sure how you access the cable connection, but I'll keep it in mind.

CraigR

Aug 10, 2020
Livermore, Ca
I have had a stance for 3+ years and loved it. You will like it a lot. I just recently upgraded to a Trance X Advanced and really like it too. I upgraded to get more travel on the shocks and it is a little be longer bike and carbon fiber.

You should consider upgrading the drive train (on both bikes) to a GX AXS (I did this on my Stance) or GX AXS Transmission (I did this on my Trance). You won't ever again have shifting problems. One note, that both bikes I had the change out the rear wheel due to the hub type Giant uses.

I also changed the chainring to a 34 tooth. Giant's are the only brand that I know of that puts a 36 tooth chainring on their bikes. Everyone else puts a 34 tooth chainring on their bikes.

Enjoy the bikes

hemismith

May 2, 2024
St George, UT, USA
So far we are pretty happy; I haven't ridden mine much since the first day but my wife really loves hers. There was one bike I was looking at that had the GX drivetrain but it was a lesser known brand that seemed to have poor support.

I noticed that most use a 34T chainring, although the Trek Powerfly also uses 36T and the Specialized we were going to get actually has a 38T which I thought odd. But for now I think it will be fine; I was actually worried that a 34T would compromise top speed on paved paths.

hemismith

May 2, 2024
St George, UT, USA
The main issue I have with the bike now is the saddle mount. It is beyond aggravating. I wanted to try out a couple different saddles but it was such a nightmare. And I scratched up one saddle in the process.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles