Levo Gen 2 i9 Hydra hubs vs. Stock DT Swiss...the sound!

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I'm seriously tempted because of all the earbud-wearing hikers on my local trail. That noise might get their attention. Many times my bell and calling out "BICYCLE" does not.

Kentish

Nov 5, 2019
Kent
I quite like it. Is it not similar to the Chris King noise?

I’m in the middle of riding the South Downs Way as we speak and as Reborn' mentions it would help out with all the deaf/oblivious/ear bud wearing walkers. That'd scare the crap out of them at full song! ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
For those on a budget and weird enough to care about the pitch and speed of Freehub clicks. Chosen hubs are equally buzzy sounding and just as fast pick up at a tiny fraction of the cost. (like 1/8).

Ive always wondered if the sort of folk who make Freehub sound videos even ride. ?

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california
I9 hydras on my Levo SL/Sworks Enduro and Chris King hubs on my 2020 Kenevo. Both sound great. The sound gets better the faster i go. Engagement is awesome. I use less lube to make them louder. Alerts hikers from a distance

Hubs can also be quiet with thicker lube. CK hubs are perfect for torquey ebikes

• Agree
Reactions: CjP

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
I've been in I9s for years - the magic is to use Dumond Freehub oil on the pawls. Makes it a more pleasant buzz...not a swarm of angry hornets chasing you.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I'm waiting on a set of Light bicycle carbon wheels with i9 1/1 hubs. They seemed a good balance between price and Quality... especially the China pricing! However, I maybe trying to dampen them down a wee bit?

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california
with the grease (the third part of the video) they're pretty quiet. Not sure if I like them or not yet.

i9 doesn’t recommend too thick of grease. Use an oil lube instead. The pawls can stick or not engage fast enough. Although i was able to use dt swiss ratchet grease that worked, i have now switched to phil wood tenacious oil for my i9’s and ck hubs

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
i9 doesn’t recommend too thick of grease. Use an oil lube instead. The pawls can stick or not engage fast enough. Although i was able to use dt swiss ratchet grease that worked, i have now switched to phil wood tenacious oil for my i9’s and ck hubs

Dumond Freehub oil works very well.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
i can only find the Dumonde tech Free hub grease being sold in U.K by one retailer and its £22 for 1oz. Is it made from premium bull seaman? ?

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
i can only find the Dumonde tech Free hub grease being sold in U.K by one retailer and its £22 for 1oz. Is it made from premium bull seaman? ?

No, it is extracted from Unicorn spunk.

Seriously though, that little bottle will last for a decade.

MLX John

Jun 20, 2020
albuquerque, nm
I love the sound of high-end hubs in the morning... The sound, you know that ratchet sound... Sounds like... victory.
84e2d33c3cc807a064c5103a60a46946.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles