How are eMTBs 1/3 the price of a Tesla model 3?

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
100% agree - the driving sensation of a 400+ hp Porsche or Audi is far more engaging than a Tesla. Sound, handling, feel - all superior. I have not yet driven a Taycan Turbo GT or an eTron GT RS - they supposedly have nailed the handling despite being very heavy vehicles.
Apples and pears -a high spec Porsche 911 is well over double the cost of a long range M3 and a Taycan is just silly money with horrendous depreciation and reliability issues. Yes the driving experience of a petrol Porsche may be sublime, but it comes at a huge cost.

Once you get into Tesla ownership you read so many comments from people like me who have actually owned a Porsche or a similar high end sports car but wouldn't go back to ICE cars unless they have deep pockets.

EVs are certainly not for everyone and many would never be persuaded but it's too easy to knock the Tesla experience until you have tried it. A Macan E may be much better car than a Model 3 but it will never be remotely accessible for most folk.

High end EVs bought with the tax benefits of business use can write off the ownership costs but most individuals would find it much more difficult to justify longer term ownership.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Apples and pears -a high spec Porsche 911 is well over double the cost of a long range M3 and a Taycan is just silly money with horrendous depreciation and reliability issues. Yes the driving experience of a petrol Porsche may be sublime, but it comes at a huge cost.

Once you get into Tesla ownership you read so many comments from people like me who have actually owned a Porsche or a similar high end sports car but wouldn't go back to ICE cars unless they have deep pockets.

EVs are certainly not for everyone and many would never be persuaded but it's too easy to knock the Tesla experience until you have tried it. A Macan E may be much better car than a Model 3 but it will never be remotely accessible for most folk.

High end EVs bought with the tax benefits of business use can write off the ownership costs but most individuals would find it much more difficult to justify longer term ownership.

I think an S is a better comparison here though. In any case, my ICE Macan GTS is about the same cost as an S but provides a more viscerally pleasing experience. I like both, but if I had to choose one...today it's an ICE vehicle. I'm watching the next generation of PHEVs closely though. Cheers!

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
The Macan does a pretty good job of overcoming all the disadvantages of ICE as far as driving. It's almost as good as electric in many ways. It's a ton more expensive overall and of course not as quick. I did enjoy it a lot, for around 400 miles.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles