Help (please!) with upgrades for Strive:ON CFR

thewanted

Apr 2, 2023
UK
Hi all,

A word of warning before you continue. I am completely inept when it comes to bike servicing, maintenance and compatibility knowledge. I only enjoy riding them, and not the associated tinkering.

I've had issues with my CFR since I got it (detailed elsewhere on this forum), and discovered that on top of everything else, one of the sprockets on my cassette is now bent.

I've spoken with Canyon and they will perform a major service on the bike (full strip down and rebuild) for £160, and charge me separately for the cassette. However, they've also said that I can supply different parts if I wish and they'll fit them as part of the service since the bike will be in pieces anyway.

I'm going to take this opportunity to upgrade the groupset and brakes. I'm undecided between the SRAM Maven Silvers, and the Hope Tech 4 E/V4 but those don't seem to be too difficult to work out what to buy in terms of parts.

I'm going to buy SRAM's GX Eagle Transmission groupset including the cranks, but this is where my lack of knowledge starts to shine. I think the CFR's DT Swiss 350 rear hub is incompatible with the T-Type, but I have no idea what to buy. I've looked at DT Swiss' website and can only find DT350 hubs for the front wheel.

Is there anything else I've not taken into account?

Since I need to supply Canyon with the parts, I really need to get this right when I place the order. Any and all help is appreciated, thanks :)

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
I'm surprise for the cost you are quoted for a full service [but that it is what it is...]

Canyon CFR has Shimano Microspline, so you'll need a new freewheel body from DTSwiss (Sram XD). You can buy it at some online store
(Ex: Conversion Kit SRAM XD Pawl Drive System Freehub Body)

[PERSONALLY, I would slap a DEORE cassete - full steel, and carry on].

Being a HOPE fan boy, I would say Hope V4!
But Sram new brakes look really good (although the issue regarding the hand force as already pointed out from some reviewers, is really something I would need to try before jumping into them!)

[Personally, I'd look for Hayes Dominion A4 -had Hayes Stroker Ace and Trail on other bikes, and never had issues with those brakes - Ace brakes were so great and without any bleed for more than 4 years!).

Place some photos afterwards 😉

thewanted

Apr 2, 2023
UK
I'm surprise for the cost you are quoted for a full service [but that it is what it is...]

Canyon CFR has Shimano Microspline, so you'll need a new freewheel body from DTSwiss (Sram XD). You can buy it at some online store
(Ex: Conversion Kit SRAM XD Pawl Drive System Freehub Body)

[PERSONALLY, I would slap a DEORE cassete - full steel, and carry on].

Being a HOPE fan boy, I would say Hope V4!
But Sram new brakes look really good (although the issue regarding the hand force as already pointed out from some reviewers, is really something I would need to try before jumping into them!)

[Personally, I'd look for Hayes Dominion A4 -had Hayes Stroker Ace and Trail on other bikes, and never had issues with those brakes - Ace brakes were so great and without any bleed for more than 4 years!).

Place some photos afterwards 😉

Thanks very much for the link, super helpful!

It's tempting from a cost perspective to replace the cassette and carry on, but I've had to fiddle with the gears almost every time I've gone riding. I don't get the opportunity to ride often, so it's frustrating to waste time.

I've been researching the SRAM Mavens a lot today, and they're really expensive if you can't get your hands on an Expert Ultimate kit which includes everything you need. That kit is now sold out everywhere, so you have to buy everything separately which ends up being $$$$$. I have seen one video on YouTube about the force required to pull the levers, but no other video has mentioned it.

Will definitely post photos once it's all done :) Wish I had just bought the CFR LTD now though!

thewanted

Apr 2, 2023
UK
@RJUK apologies for the tag, but I think you installed the SRAM Transmission too? Do you perhaps have a link to the part you used to make the rear wheel compatible?

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
I believe this is the one I got. Annoyingly it won't let me just click through from my order, but this has the exact same description and looks the same.

thewanted

Apr 2, 2023
UK
I believe this is the one I got. Annoyingly it won't let me just click through from my order, but this has the exact same description and looks the same.

Thanks so much! The 12x142 description threw me off since the wheels are 12x148, but I guess it’s compatible because it says “or BOOST” too.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles