Hard tail or full suspension towing kids in trailer

duck2879

Nov 25, 2021
New England
Hey folks! Happy Thanksgiving! Looking at getting an e-bike but tossed up between a Specialized Tero 5.0 and Giant Stance E+1. I will be pulling 2 kids in a burley trailer roughly 200 miles a year on gravel roads/trails. I'm currently riding a cannondale Beast of the east or specialized Rockhopper but age is starting to play a role in how far I can go on those bikes with the kids or without. I'm leaning towards the Giant for the full suspension but the specialized sounds like a better bet for the trailer. Anyone here using a full suspension emtb and towing kids in a trailer connected to the axle? My thought is to lock out the rear suspension when towing?

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
The weight would I think be quite a drain on the batteries. Have you thought about spending a bit more on something with more battery juice.
There was mention of a Riese and Muller Supercharger with 1250W in a double battery frame.(Its' £5500) I know its a bit more, a fair bit, but its one of those one time purchases you need to get right from the off.

I think had i not wanted so badly a full suss 29er with good bits and were able to test ride this bike, I may well have bought it over what i did buy.

duck2879

Nov 25, 2021
New England
The weight would I think be quite a drain on the batteries. Have you thought about spending a bit more on something with more battery juice.
There was mention of a Riese and Muller Supercharger with 1250W in a double battery frame.(Its' £5500) I know its a bit more, a fair bit, but its one of those one time purchases you need to get right from the off.

I think had i not wanted so badly a full suss 29er with good bits and were able to test ride this bike, I may well have bought it over what i did buy.
Thanks I rode one of these recently while camping, the folks at the site next to me had 2 of these and they were a great ride but they weighed A LOT. Yes the battery drain is a concern with the extra weight. The kids are starting to ride bit more on their own so I don't expect to ride more than 2 hours with them in the trailer. My youngest(3) has adjusted to cruising on a Mac-ride so I don't think I'll have both in the trailer for much longer. If I could only get my wife to take one of them...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles