GX AXS issues (the MK1 model)

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Hi everyone, Well after just 3 years my GX AXS derailleur has decided to start acting the goat, I noticed it while out on a ride a couple of weeks ago, at first I thought I’d bent my hanger, with a new hanger fitted it’s no different, the issue is with changing gear, it won’t go into the highest or lowest gears, it’s also not going from the lowest gears to the highest straight away, I’ve tried the micro adjustment on the controller and the battery, adjusting the limit screws and the B screw, re-pairing, cleaning the battery terminals which were clean, making sure the batteries are fully charged and even giving it a really good deep clean to make sure there was no small bits of grit I missed stopping it operating correctly, I’m surprised it’s acting up as it’s been well looked after and kept clean and has worked flawlessly before this and looking at it it looks in great condition, anyway I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and fixed it before I pay nearly £400 for another one, as usual any help would be appreciated please.

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
My first thought would be the chain. Is the chain still below 0.5%?? Might be worth trying a new chain.
You could also check that the mech is free to move ( ie the pivot points of the parallelogram). ........forward and back and in across the cassette and back. Check also the mech spring is not clogged with dirt or disconnected. Lastly, is the guide jockey ( top one) free moving and without sideplay in its bearing. Removing both jockey wheels and either replacing or repacking the bearings might be worthwhile.
It may be worth removing the mech and giving it an overhaul and checking its operation without having to move the chain.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
My first thought would be the chain. Is the chain still below 0.5%?? Might be worth trying a new chain.
You could also check that the mech is free to move ( ie the pivot points of the parallelogram). ........forward and back and in across the cassette and back. Check also the mech spring is not clogged with dirt or disconnected. Lastly, is the guide jockey ( top one) free moving and without sideplay in its bearing. Removing both jockey wheels and either replacing or repacking the bearings might be worthwhile.
It may be worth removing the mech and giving it an overhaul and checking its operation without having to move the chain.
I’ve just got back from my workshop after reading your post and after removing the mech and flushing it or more specifically the spring with some GT85 I was amazed how much grit came from under the spring, I am shocked because it’s not long ago I took it off and gave it a good clean like I usually do and nothing like this has happened before, the acid test will be my next ride, just to be safe I’ll make it local, needless to say Mike I really appreciate your suggestions mate, all the other suggestions were carried out and they were all fine, thanks again pal 🙏🙏👍👍

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
Good call. I find that shifting issues often begin before the chain has stretched enough to register. Maybe some of the sides of the links begin to deform slightly or something.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
Hi everyone, Well after just 3 years my GX AXS derailleur has decided to start acting the goat, I noticed it while out on a ride a couple of weeks ago, at first I thought I’d bent my hanger, with a new hanger fitted it’s no different, the issue is with changing gear, it won’t go into the highest or lowest gears, it’s also not going from the lowest gears to the highest straight away, I’ve tried the micro adjustment on the controller and the battery, adjusting the limit screws and the B screw, re-pairing, cleaning the battery terminals which were clean, making sure the batteries are fully charged and even giving it a really good deep clean to make sure there was no small bits of grit I missed stopping it operating correctly, I’m surprised it’s acting up as it’s been well looked after and kept clean and has worked flawlessly before this and looking at it it looks in great condition, anyway I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and fixed it before I pay nearly £400 for another one, as usual any help would be appreciated please.
High Rock Ruti

3 years sounds amazing from my experience!

Warm Regards Ruti

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles