• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Getting "bushwhacked", shin guard recommendations?

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Every spring, parts of my regular ride are bordered with big thistle plants that hang over the trail. Even the plants without pointy bits can hurt when they whip your shin at 25 mph. I thought it would be easy to find shin guards that are simply pieces of curved plastic with a pair of stretchy velcro straps to hold them on. So far, I've only found products like that for 8 year old kids who play football/soccer.

So, do any of you have a recommended product?

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Brother, I feel your pain. Thistles are the WORST, more annoying that even poison oak. And after the last two wet winters, the trails are more overgrown than ever. Honestly, my only surefire cure for thistles is to ride slow and avoid those trails until later in the summer. Thistles even poke through my gloves! I can finish a ride looking like I've been in a fight with a bobcat.

Most years, from spring through summer, I'm taking scalding hot showers, eating handfuls of antihistamines, and rubbing cortisone cream all over to counter the effects of getting beaten by bushes. But I learned something this past winter. It was insanely cold, so I bought myself a pair of long riding pants. Right away I noticed that besides keeping me warmer, they prevented the brush from contacting my legs. The result was that my legs felt better and there was no itchiness.

As we've transitioned into warmer weather, I've continued to wear the long pants. They help immensely. The light ones that I wear (Troy Lee Skyline) won't completely protect you from thistle, but they'll help. Maybe downhill-specific pants can offer more protection.

Bonus suggestion:
Winter air is cold and dry. Whatever. I don't care. Mountain bike riders are tough. A lady I ride with recently commented that my skin was "ashy." I thought that was a thing for black folks, but didn't affect white guys like me. But I looked, and she was right. How could I possibly look cool on the trails? Rad clothes and sick style can't overcome ashy legs, so I started applying some of that stuff that the ladies use on their skin. I smelled like a pretty flower garden the next time I hit the trails. But you know what? The itchiness caused by the brush was dramatically reduced. It's so much better that I continue to use the fragrant goop when I wear riding shorts. It helps.

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
Every spring, parts of my regular ride are bordered with big thistle plants that hang over the trail. Even the plants without pointy bits can hurt when they whip your shin at 25 mph. I thought it would be easy to find shin guards that are simply pieces of curved plastic with a pair of stretchy velcro straps to hold them on. So far, I've only found products like that for 8 year old kids who play football/soccer.

Long pants as @RustyIron suggested are good or you could get knee/shin guards like these?
1716252767467.png

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I've got some sturdy guards like that for the more dangerous downhill riding. I was hoping for something much lighter and cooler for everyday trails. Long pants/trousers are looking like my best option so far. Maybe even pink!

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
You might also take a look at long, cut/slash resistant socks used for ice hockey . These are tough and are meant to prevent skate blades from cutting one’s lower legs. They’re effective in preventing “bushwhacking“ and reduce damage from pedal strikes as well. I have a pair that I’ve used for several years, and they’ve held up well. They’re light weight and comfortable and don’t get too hot. I did cut off the foot section so I could use regular mtb socks in my shoes.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I wear Fox Ranger long pants, with Troy Lee Designs knee & shin guards underneath. They fend off all nettles & brambles. Brambles have vicious hooked thorns and will penetrate flesh quite easily and make a right mess if they drag. The straight and thin spines on Gorse are more fragile and would glance off the pants if at an angle. But if hit head on, the Gorse spine would go straight through the Ranger pants and into the flesh. But they will not penetrate the TLD guards.
So far, the only places that Gorse spines have got me is through the back of my gloves and my forearms if I happen to have my sleeves rolled up. Gorse spines tend to break off and if you fail to get them out, they fester.

Kingerz

Jul 11, 2021
Australia
Same issue in Australia with razor plants. I use Fox Enduro kneepads with Shadow Conspiracy BMX shinguards. If it's very hot, I have older-style soccer/hocky shin guards that are open at the back, but they are hard to buy now. They are in 2nd hand shops or any school or club will have a stack.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts

High Rock Ruti

My favorites right now are field hockey hard shell amazon about $50 really long crook of the ankle to over the knee, goofy but great protection

Warm Regards Ruti

CraigR

Aug 10, 2020
Livermore, Ca
I have the same issue in the spring. I use soccer shin guards (). They are cheap and work well and not overly hot or cumbersome. I just replace them when they get torn up. For some reason I can't post the amazon link. Search on amazon for "HiRui Soccer Shin Guards Shin Pads for Kids Youth Adult"

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
As an alternative, and something I've just bought - Endura do shin-pad socks
They're knee high, have extra padding on your ankle, and soft padding all the way up your shin.

I don't like wearing trousers when it's warm. I have proper shin/knee pads but they add even more sweat. These socks I can wear with my shorts and just keep the nettle stings and thorns out my legs :D

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
I have the same issue in the spring. I use soccer shin guards. They are cheap and work well and not overly hot or cumbersome. I just replace them when they get torn up. For some reason I can't post the amazon link. Search on amazon for "HiRui Soccer Shin Guards Shin Pads for Kids Youth Adult"
Yep, I'm the same. Soccer shin-guards from Ebay.

1716711693714.png

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I wear my trusty Endura knee protectors with D30 inserts which go quite low down my shins and over my socks, in the warmer months there’s going to be a trade off between protection and sweaty legs, personally I’m going down the sweaty legs route, I hate gorse bushes, brambles and stinging nettles, foolishly I tried riding without the protectors and my legs were tingling for days, I won’t be making that mistake again in a hurry ☹️

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The cure for nettle rash is dock leaves. I'm sure we all have known that since we were kids. But I was taught a new technique by an MTB skills instructor called Tony Doyle (known to his fans as "Jedi"). The technique amplifies the effectiveness of the dock leaves.

Crush the dock leaves in your palms and roll the leaves back and forth with a lot of pressure. Keep doing this and suddenly the cells will rupture and release quite a lot of liquid. Rub that liquid onto the nettle rash. It works a lot better. :love:

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Ahdunno what dock leaves are. Luckily, we don't have a lot of stinging nettle. I got some a while back. It was about the size of a penny, assuming yours are similar to ours. It felt like I burned my leg on a stove. The intense pain only lasted a little while. Ugh.

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
Ahdunno what dock leaves are. Luckily, we don't have a lot of stinging nettle. I got some a while back. It was about the size of a penny, assuming yours are similar to ours. It felt like I burned my leg on a stove. The intense pain only lasted a little while. Ugh.

Answer
Stinging nettle left with seeds ready to drop and give you shit next year
And the good ol Dock which comes to the rescue, normally found close to each other funny enough

Screenshot_20240527_124052_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20240527_123907_Chrome.jpg

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I just wear ski socks . They are rolled down most of the time and as such are effective at fending off peddle strikes if you are prone to them. When I can see a section of trial is overgrown with overhanding nettles/thistle or briar I pull up the socks. OK they will not stop everything but i really cannot be bothered with any form of padded/solid lower leg guard in the summer.

darwink1

Dec 19, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Branches and whatnot are a secondary concern for me, knee/shin protection is primary. I have 2 pairs of leatt hybrid pads and they've saved my knees more than once. They have a great little cup on the inside of the knee that seems to keep them locked I place, and they don't seem to slip like other brands I've tried. I don't ride without them.

Screenshot_20240528_091538_Samsung Internet.jpg

D

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles