Fuel EXe Fuel EXe assist and power settings

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I know there is lots of stuff buried in the mega thread, but it is difficult to find.

So, let's list what assist and power settings riders are using.

To keep it simple, list the settings you use for each mode and give a brief commentary on your average ride distance and elevation.

We all know there are far too many variables to get 'the best' settings for all riders, so let's keep this thread as simple as possible and a reference for all of us.

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
OK, I'm replying to my own thread with a quote out of the mega thread, mainly just for my own reference because I think this is a really interesting way of setting the assist levels.

Wondering if people are setting up the motor tuning on the app just by feel or have some sort of formula they are using? I am personally using a simple formula to set the assist percentage which is working really well for me.

For anyone interested, this is what I do.

Firstly you need to know what your approximate FTP is. I know most will be familiar with FTP however if your not, its basically the average Watts you can sustain for an hour. Pro riders are up around the 400W mark. Me personally, I am currently at an FTP of 200W which is probably pretty average for a social male rider. Google "how to calculate FTP" if you want to figure out what yours currently is if you don't already know.

Also your riding weight is important to understand what level of assist you receive. For my calculation I use:
Riding weight = Bike + you + gear.

I set my max power for each mode as follows and I think this pretty standard for most people with this bike.
Eco => 100W
Mid => 200W
High = 300W

To calculate my assist level I simply divide the Wattage by my FTP and multiply by my weight factor. The result is then expressed as a percentage assist level

eg.

Weight factor: Me 78kG + bike 18kG + gear 5Kg = 101

(100W / 200 FTP)x101 = 50.5% assist level.
(200W / 200 FTP)x101 = 101% assist level.
(300W / 200 FTP)x101 = 151.5% assist level.

What I like about this method is that your percentage of assist tracks with your fitness or sustained power capabilities. It also takes into account what load is on the bike. This means the bike wont give you all its got until you are at your FTP for your given load.

In regards to Pedal Response, this only has a small bearing on range so you can set this to what ever you like.
Personally, I want Eco to be very natural so I set this to 50% or half. Mid I set 75% and High I set to Max.

This methodology will force you to work however your range in every mode will no doubt increase significantly.

I know this wont work for everyone but if you bought this bike, you probably are not after a free ride anyway.

I am amazed with what my range has increased to and the effort required for this range increase really hasn't been that significant.

With these settings, Eco goes for ever and kind of feels like a light weight analogue bike. Mid gives you great range but with enough support to know you are on an ebike. High I think gives you all the assist you will ever need with the added bonus of a bit more range then the out of the box settings.

No doubt holes can be shot though this methodology for setting assist levels though the app however why not give it a go? I think at least this gives you a calculated starting point rather then just relying on "feel" alone.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
20 miles is fairly consistent on my EXe using only mid and high assist, never eco. Probably get about 2,500’ elevation in the 20 miles. I have 2 batteries, so I can double that If I want.

Last edited:

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Apparently my bike was just set at the default settings. It must have reverted back when I did the firmware update. Here are some pics of the settings I normally ride with:

D82CE72F-DE1B-4BA5-94D0-05A7AD7C0F64.png A7764397-A696-48A4-A32E-3F1B69D7552A.png 77341328-FFB1-4D38-B690-A3256C9550BB.png

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Using a combination of eco and off (on the flats and the downs) will get me about 4000-4500 feet of climbing.

Using Mid mode will probably get 2750-3000 feet of climbing

Using High 100% of the time will get me 2000-2300feet of climbing.

Screenshot_20231030_082004~2.jpg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles