Fox factory 38

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
It is a common comment it seems that the Fox 38 is too harsh...........indeed many reviewers say they set it up with all compression setting set to zero. The Fox 38 is after all the top of the range Enduro fork designed to be ridden hard on pretty harsh terrain.
I have the E Bike tuned version at 180 on one bike and the non ebike tuned 160 on another bike. The 180 is set fairly close to Ridefox recommendation except for air pressure which is set a little lower. It rides like a magic carpet but with plenty of ramp up.
I have spent ages trying to make my 160 as plush yet as supportive as the 180 and I think I have finally cracked it!! Settings are nowhere near Ridefox recommendations! What I found was that the relationship between air pressure and damping is very critical. I set SAG at 25% using 2 tokens then set LSC and LSR both on 6 from open/fast, HSR and HSC both on 3 from open/fast (although I completely open HSC until/unless i am hitting jump lines or drops). I am mostly doing forest gravity runs with small/moderate drops and jumps rather than bike park type jump lines. On these settings and at my weight the fork is plush with no bottom outs

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I agree, that’s what my son & I are doing since we already have 38’s on our ride, so we’ll just do the drop-in whereas I believe alchemist was saying he was looking to buy new fork which is why I advised getting 2024 model 38.

I just put a 2025 Fox 36 with the new X2 cartridge on my Santa Cruz Hightower. Took it out on its first ride today, and even for not having my clickers perfectly dialed yet (or maybe I do?), the fork was NOTICEABLY more planted in the chop than the Fox 36 with the Grip 2 cartridge. Very impressed after one ride. Will report again in a couple weeks.

Pedec

Mar 17, 2024
Weyburn,Canada
Air pressure make a huge difference. What I do is set air pressure to what is recommend for my weight on both fork and shock with rebound and compression set at mid position. I have 36 factory grip4 e-tuned suspension. Then I go to the trail I know well with the biggest jumps and demand the most travel and suspension demands. At the end of run see how much travel I used. With my forks they felt very harsh at recommended air pressure 105 psi for my weight but yet sag was still ok 25%. So I drop air pressure 5 psi in both and ride same trail again till I use up travel. I got down to 80 psi on fork before it was bottoming out. Went up 85psi and was good sag 30% now. Just adjusted clickers after that to fine it. Feels really good now

Last edited:

Lago

May 13, 2024
Germany
Is there any advantage of an e-optimized 36 over the regular 38 from Fox?

I have both of them at home for my Levo SL with 160mm (one will go back to the retailer). I am a not too heavy rider with 72kg and hence I leaned towards the 36 as I thought it would be the lighter fork. However, the weight of the 36 e-optimized is almost exactly the same as the 38… thus I am wondering if there is any more criteria why to pick the e-optimized 36 over the 38?

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Is there any advantage of an e-optimized 36 over the regular 38 from Fox?

I have both of them at home for my Levo SL with 160mm (one will go back to the retailer). I am a not too heavy rider with 72kg and hence I leaned towards the 36 as I thought it would be the lighter fork. However, the weight of the 36 e-optimized is almost exactly the same as the 38… thus I am wondering if there is any more criteria why to pick the e-optimized 36 over the 38?

With an eMTB, you're pushing a little more weight with a lot more power through a turn, so I do think there is an advantage of the 38 over the 36. I think the "e-optimized" thing is silly though.

gmoss

Mar 21, 2024
Hickory, NC
The e optimized comes with a more damped setup, more adjustability. It has been said that even for heavier riders the e fork would be suited better for them on normal bikes. However, I am running conventional 36's on both my bikes, one a light E (42 lbs) and the other a normal bike (30 lbs)and other than a click or two maybe, they perform the same. But, between the 2 forks you have, and the decision to keep one or the other, I'd keep the 38 as my understanding is it is a different animal and MUCH better than the 36.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
E optimised is different to e tuned. On the 36 e optimised is only about adding some strength with thicker metal used in the lowers.....on the air spring side that reduces the overall volume of the air spring which is why set up is different to a normal 36...probably less flexible as well. ....also why it weighs more than an evol 36 and not a lot less than a 38. Ebike tuned on the other hand is a modified damper tune. My choice would be a standard 36 Factory if the bike is mostly aimed at trail type riding or a Factory/performance elite ebike tuned 38 for full on enduro trails.

gmoss

Mar 21, 2024
Hickory, NC
38 is significantly heavier - about 240g
Compared to which fork?

Its not much considering we choose weight at the worst place, tires. I know its needed in the right circumstances, but many of us are over weighted on tires. I am erked thst my go to XR4 has been replaced by a tire that is going to be 3/4 heavier per pair. If it means a big boost in performance, 1/2 lb in a fork I can deal with moreso, but it depends on what its being compared to.

Lago

May 13, 2024
Germany
Thanks for all your feedback!!

@RickBullotta I have both forks at home with 160mm and original shaft. They felt equally heavy when lifting them out of the box, this triggered me to put them on a balance - see photos attached (not done super professionally I admit).

@gmoss @Mikerb yes that is what I was thinking after realizing the weight of the 36 e-opt, especially as the main use case is for a light EMTB (18kg/40lbs)

I have a full power EMTB as well, but this one is running already a ZEB ultimate which I am quite happy with, so not sure I would be better of on this one with the 36 e-opt

IMG_3198.jpeg IMG_3197.jpeg

gmoss

Mar 21, 2024
Hickory, NC
E optimised is different to e tuned. On the 36 e optimised is only about adding some strength with thicker metal used in the lowers.....on the air spring side that reduces the overall volume of the air spring which is why set up is different to a normal 36...probably less flexible as well. ....also why it weighs more than an evol 36 and not a lot less than a 38. Ebike tuned on the other hand is a modified damper tune. My choice would be a standard 36 Factory if the bike is mostly aimed at trail type riding or a Factory/performance elite ebike tuned 38 for full on enduro trails.
Isn't the e optimized running essentially 34 internals as well, due to the extra wall thickness? Thought I had read that.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Thanks for all your feedback!!

@RickBullotta I have both forks at home with 160mm and original shaft. They felt equally heavy when lifting them out of the box, this triggered me to put them on a balance - see photos attached (not done super professionally I admit).

@gmoss @Mikerb yes that is what I was thinking after realizing the weight of the 36 e-opt, especially as the main use case is for a light EMTB (18kg/40lbs)

I have a full power EMTB as well, but this one is running already a ZEB ultimate which I am quite happy with, so not sure I would be better of on this one with the 36 e-opt

Fox's specs show a 240 gram difference. Which obviously makes sense. More material all around.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Compared to which fork?

Its not much considering we choose weight at the worst place, tires. I know its needed in the right circumstances, but many of us are over weighted on tires. I am erked thst my go to XR4 has been replaced by a tire that is going to be 3/4 heavier per pair. If it means a big boost in performance, 1/2 lb in a fork I can deal with moreso, but it depends on what its being compared to.

Yes, 1/2 lb is not super relevant on an eMTB but matters a lot for a regular bike.

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
I have just installed a new X2 damped Fox 38 in factory orange on my Yeti 160e, not ebike tuned, the regular 38 is suitable for a combined weight of 26 stone so don't get caught up in the "e-bike specific" talk, tuning a regular fork to your liking us what matters, the "e-tuned" sticker on the fork does not matter.
Rob took his Crestline to the Fox launch event and I believe the Gold stanchioned 38 was regular flavour.
It not just a sticker but, non E could work fine for you wants. Speaking of sticker thou
you can get fox sticker in several colors for your fork even put your name on it!

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
the fork was NOTICEABLY more planted in the chop than the Fox 36 with the Grip 2 cartridge. Very impressed after one ride. Will report again in a couple weeks.

It's been more than a couple weeks, so I'm assuming the X2 is so good that all your spare time is being spent on the trails. I've heard that the difference is dramatic. Yesterday I ordered an X2 damper, but it won't show up until the first week of June. It's going to be a looooong few weeks.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
It's been more than a couple weeks, so I'm assuming the X2 is so good that all your spare time is being spent on the trails. I've heard that the difference is dramatic. Yesterday I ordered an X2 damper, but it won't show up until the first week of June. It's going to be a looooong few weeks.

Ha - I wish. I did do an XC race on it and although my lungs and legs were screaming, my hands and arms were unusually good afterwards, on a very rocky course. So I'd say thus far, it's still a big thumbs up for the X2 damper. Time will tell on durability. Also, it might not be just the damper - there are different bushings in the 2025 forks that probably affect small bump compliance a bit as well.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles