Focus Battery Check

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I have an early Focus Jam 2, E8000 motor and 378 wh battery. It is a great little bike for many of my needs and made all the better by it being de-restricted to US market settings. It is four years old and has done about 4,000 miles. The only real problem I have with it is the poor electrical connectivity (which is a big one).

I have a Spectral On with the same motor but a Shimano battery and very little remote wiring and that has behaved perfectly over the same four years.

The Focus is, once again, failing to charge and despite my usual regime of stripping everything out and cleaning connections, which usually works, the battery is still refusing to charge. It is not the charger as it still charges the TEC battery.

I've been a bit long-winded leading up to it but my question is, does anyone know if a dealer can/will check the battery off the bike?

Not only is the bike in a dozen pieces on my garage floor with both the motor and battery removed, but I don't really want the dealer to update the firmware for obvious reasons.

themoon

Sep 12, 2020
Ukraine
When I had the same issue, it was about one of the plastic pins in the charger port being broken. Just re-soldered a new one

Oly

Feb 6, 2021
San Diego
I have a 2017 Bold. Never had a problem until Christmas time and couldn't get it to power up. figured I lost the battery. Sent it to Ebike market place in vegas to be rebuilt but that was a bust without them having the bike there....wish they would have told me first. Thinking it is a bad BMS because all the cells were ok. However, my tec pack will power the bike up. I Hate to spend $900 on a 378whr battery here in the US. Really bums me out how quickly manufactures leave you behind these days. Just 5 years old and my bike feels like a relic with no one around who can work with the BMS without special software that no one has. There is another company who rebuilds batteries called FTH power but they are stuck with the focus proprietary battery as well. Anyone have any idea's to keep it on the road?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles