First purchase of an EMBK.

Coxycamera

Mar 15, 2021
South West UK
Hi team, It's reached that time where I need to shift the lockdown lard, and keep up with my 10yr old who keeps speeding away! So my 25yr old Cape Wrath just isn't hacking it these days and neither are my knees. I had been tempted by a Cube hardtail but now very keen on the Decathlon Stilus full suspension, (if it ever becomes available in the UK an I can grab one). Main use will be keeping fit on bumpy country B roads and then doing the odd woodland / trail ride with my lad. I've never had a full suspension, do riders with real world experience think this will be overkill for my needs, or the right way forward?

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
It's a long, long time since I rode any sort of hardtail. My grandson is older than your lad, so I'm guessing that you are a lot younger than me. Even so, from what I have read on this forum, don't get a hardtail ebike. The extra weight messes with the enjoyment of a hardtail. Riders have written about them selling their HT ebike quite soon after purchase and buying a full suss ebike. They get the whole "e" thing, just not on an HT! Currently, your main problem is going to be getting any sort of emtb. :(

Top tip: Whatever you choose to buy, try hard to buy it from somewhere close to you. There is a whole lot of stuff on an emtb that is nothing like what comes on an ordinary bike. So unless you are an electrician or similar, be warned.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
You probably don't "need" full suspension ... but it is nice to have, there's a good chance you'll find yourself exploring new trails with an EMTB and before you know it you'll want a full suspension bike ...

leix_toffee

Jan 15, 2021
Ireland
I went from Hardtail to Full-Sus and back again. I was in a similar position deciding which eMTB to buy. In the end after trying I was 100% sold on a Full-Sus, the comfort alone was enough (I am getting old, lol). I agree with the above though, hard to get an eMTB at the moment, there are technical aspects of an eMTB that increase the "running costs", they are very heavy (the motor removes this issue when riding) but be aware for putting on a car etc etc. 100% agree to try before you buy. I tried a bike that ended up I could not get in a reasonable time but got another bike online, even trying just any eMTB will point you in the right direction.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Whichever e-mtb you first try, you will most likely fall in love with it…
The net is that most well known brands make very decent bikes, my preference would be a full suspension. As already mentioned, the challenge will be to GET one not too far from where you live.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles