• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

First EMBT + Canyon deals. Need help with fast decision.

Fuego del norte

Apr 23, 2024
Pays de Gex
Hello,

I recently moved to the Jura region in France (Pays de Gex). I want to buy a mountainbike. Several people have suggested me to buy an EMTB as it would be helpful for commuting as well.

I was planning on testing my first rental e-bike next Wednesday, however I see that Canyon has some sales going on right now that end tonight. I would normally test some bikes before buying something, but there's some 1000€ savings going on... Plus, I'd save all of the rental costs... Since it's my first emtb, I doubt that I'd learn much about different kind of brands, but please correct me if I'm wrong. After I get experience, I could always sell the bike and buy something more fitted.

Would you take this opportunity and skip the rental process? Or would it be better as a beginner to test some stuff? I know for sure that I will like the sport. I've done some MTB'ing 10 years ago but the country were I lived doesn't have a lot of trails.

I would deeply appreciate your input. Thanks!

-----------

Optional question

If you still have some time, which would be the better fit? The Neuron:ON or the Spectral:ON?

The Neuron:ON seems the most versatile "beginner" bike. However, I don't like the fact that you can't remove the battery.

The Spectral:ON seems like the best bike for the region but it may be overkill as I lack the skill to fully make use of it. Also, I've never ridden a mullet setup before. I want to use the bike for commuting as well (8km ride) with a child "shotgun" seat. I don't know if a mullet affects this.

Feel free to give some other suggestions!

antti86

Subscriber
Jul 27, 2020
Finland
I think overkill is not a issue if the bike is in your budget. You will improve your riding skills and bike will match a type of riding you are planning to do. Only negative I can think of when buying overkill is the higher price.

Koban

Oct 15, 2023
Germany
I would not use the bike for commuting. I have a Spectral ON CFR LTD & Torque ON CF. Really enjoy the bikes on the trails and Bike parks in Germany. I'm fan of the mullet setup. For me the bikes are a bit more agile.

When you are going to use the bike mainly for commuting and gravel roads. Then I would not consider an eMTB. ;-)

Selling a bike will be loosing money. Especially with an eMTB.

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
I would not use the bike for commuting. I have a Spectral ON CFR LTD & Torque ON CF. Really enjoy the bikes on the trails and Bike parks in Germany. I'm fan of the mullet setup. For me the bikes are a bit more agile.

When you are going to use the bike mainly for commuting and gravel roads. Then I would not consider an eMTB. ;-)

Which type of ebike do you recommend for that type of use and why not eMTB?

Koban

Oct 15, 2023
Germany
When you only ride asphalt roads and gravel. When I look at Canyon. Then I first would look at Grand Canyon ON and when you think you really need full suspension Neuron ON. The last one feels for me like overkill.

Fuego del norte

Apr 23, 2024
Pays de Gex

It’s going to be mainly for mtb, but I’d combine it with a small commute if I have to bring the children to school. Solo rides to work I take my road bike. If I have to take a child along, it’s very hard as I have to climb 200m with several bits of 10% of incline) so that’s how I’d use the bike as a second purpose.

Someone on reddit suggested me to buy an extra wheelset with slick tires for that.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles